Author Topic: Avast Web Shield slowing down/blocking Dropbox uploads  (Read 65125 times)

Offline Thumbsy

Re: Avast Web Shield slowing down/blocking Dropbox uploads
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »
Had time the other day to do a full uninstall/reinstall of Avast and things are better now.  However, I have left the Dropbox upload throttle at 10kb/sec, so I don't know if the Avast reinstall really did anything or not.
If possible, could you please try to see how it performs when you remove the limit? If it seems to be working okay, maybe a full un/re-install is what it takes. Thanks!

Mark_43

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »
This issue has now returned on the latest update!

gilbut

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2014, 08:29:30 AM »
+1

The problem with Dropbox upload came back with the last update of Avast :(

Why Avast team can't solve that ?????

REDACTED

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
The last time this bug came up Avast provided much more support. It's annoying that when there's such a serious bug regression, we get no feedback. Perhaps the fault is very hard to solve, or the support is just ignoring this thread?

monark

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »
I am also experiencing this issue.  It also is affecting my Google Drive uploads, but in a different way.

With Dropbox, I have the issue of it showing an insanely high upload rate and only 1 second remaining for the upload to complete (which it never does).  Then it completely kills my Internet.  When I delete the "uploaded" file from Dropbox, and kill the process, my Internet returns to normal.  I can then re-open Dropbox and as long as I am not uploading, it is fine.  Syncing downloads from other computers (work, tablets, etc...) seems to be working fine.  I just cannot upload from my home computer (which is running Avast). 

Google Drive will not upload files. I just get a message to view unsyncable file(s).  However, it does not seem to kill my Internet connection like Dropbox does.  The files will just not upload.

I disabled all Avast shields and both Dropbox and Google Drive uploaded normally with no effect on my Internet.  Turn them back on, and the problem resumes.  I have since read that the Web Shield is apparently the one causing the issues.  Here is what I am using:

Avast! 2014.9.0.2016
Dropbox 2.6.27
Windows 7 Ultimate

Hopefully an update/fix can address this issue soon.  I really like Avast over other antivirus programs that I have used in the past!

ravensday

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 08:00:57 AM »
Is this really Web Shield I had pages hang lately but I fixed it by disabling Avast Online Security browser add on. Can any one else confirm? On IE I went to manage add-ons and disabled Avast Online Security now all my pages load just fine and Web Shield shows as active still inside of Avast.

Mark_43

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 12:05:30 PM »
When I disable web shield all works as expected.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
I'm not having a single issue with AIS and Dropbox... I'm using AIS on auto-decide mode.
The best things in life are free.

Offline nhoeller

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2014, 10:35:25 PM »
Google Drive will not upload files. I just get a message to view unsyncable file(s).  However, it does not seem to kill my Internet connection like Dropbox does.  The files will just not upload.

@monark, does Google Drive report any additional information that might help narrow down the problem?  Is there anything in the Windows Event Log? 

Zai

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2014, 02:37:41 PM »
Hey,

as others have mentioned, the bug has returned with the latest avast! update. Very disappointing, it had been working fine for me since January. :(

Avast! 2014.9.0.2016
Dropbox 2.6.2 and 2.6.27
Windows7 x64  Home Premium

Adding the Dropbox cache folder ( [path to Dropbox installation]/.dropbox.cache/* ) to the Antivirus exclusions does not seem to fix the problem either.

After installing the newest Dropbox version, uploading files worked for a few minutes ( uploaded 3 files, each about 1,5 MB ), after that, the uploading process stopped working again (just as it was in January).

I had been a happy avast! user for quite a while, but ever since avast! 2014, I've had a lot of bugs. Now, a bug that seemed fixed crops up again two months later. Starting to think that maybe I should start using something else :(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:58:36 PM by Zai »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
Add the two lines in your WebShield.ini

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

Reboot afterwards.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Zai

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »
Asyn, please consider yourself my personal virtual hero for today!

Add the two lines in your WebShield.ini

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

Reboot afterwards.

Works for me.

As this change to the .ini is about downgrading the WebShield from the new implementation (stream filter) to the previous one (proxy), as far as I understand, the Dropbox uploading bug appears to be related to the new stream filter WebShield implementation...!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2014, 03:23:16 PM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

monark

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »

@monark, does Google Drive report any additional information that might help narrow down the problem?  Is there anything in the Windows Event Log?

Google Drive doesn't show any other information that I am aware of.  I am not at my home computer at the moment, so I will have to the event log tonight to see if it does show any information there.

I may also try the UseStreamFilter suggestion as well to see if that helps.

Mark_43

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
Where is the WebShield.ini file located?

I can not seem to find it!