Author Topic: Safe Price Addition To Avast - Are You Kidding Me?  (Read 128054 times)

Offline Cast

Re: Safe Price Addition To Avast - Are You Kidding Me?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 01:24:15 AM »
craigb, I'm still want to learn from you. Please explain what I do not understand.
Everything has already been explained so maybe go back and re-read and my former statement still holds true and I don't wish to discuss anything further with you.

Just ignore further comments, your just fanning the flames and making it worse so to speak.

kodl

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »
Thanx for your reply. That's what I expected.

swag-nyc

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 05:47:20 AM »
just noticed this little gem of tripe hidden in the new version

What utter and complete BS avast, who the hell are you to suggest to people that the race to the bottom in pricing is good for ANYONE?
who is really supporting this module, how much did ebay and walmart pay you to mislead consumers with this complete rubbish?

ooh, it just told me its a better value to use free avast and never spend good money on a paid version

sound advise actually...

really guys, stick to what you know because every one of these stupid ancillary products robs the focus from your flagship product and robs your customers of quality

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 06:06:00 AM »
Yah, doesn't sound like anything I would use or have enabled but then again I haven't  tried it yet so who knows. No big deal though, I mean there's more to life, right? ::)

AdrianH

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 08:30:05 AM »
just noticed this little gem of tripe hidden in the new version

What utter and complete BS avast, who the hell are you to suggest to people that the race to the bottom in pricing is good for ANYONE?
who is really supporting this module, how much did ebay and walmart pay you to mislead consumers with this complete rubbish?

ooh, it just told me its a better value to use free avast and never spend good money on a paid version

sound advise actually...

really guys, stick to what you know because every one of these stupid ancillary products robs the focus from your flagship product and robs your customers of quality

Why did you install it?

Simple answer ....... always read the release notes and use a CUSTOM install.   

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 10:36:05 PM »
I believe Safe Price is mentioned (as a new feature) in the window that appears after the update is installed (and loaded, i.e. after reboot).

itsthexypat

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »
Hi.  New to this forum but have been using avast for many years now.

I had been getting complaints about the price shopping bar and at first thought our systems got a nasty malware infection.  I surprised to learn it was a part of the avast browser add-in...remember the one that was less invasive and mostly just sat at the top bar as a little icon until you decided to click on it...

I found the OP post interesting because it was an issue that I feel is valid and wouldn't have thought about.  Although, I feel that issue to be a valid SECONDARY concern.

I felt the need to sign up and post to this thread because I wanted to talk more about what I feel should be the PRIMARY concern.  For years we trusted avast and that trust built up over time.  Even with some of their big goofs:  like the recent fix they seem to have done that now prevents the avast web/email shields from blocking outgoing mail ports in MS Outlook, or the one that really caused a big headache here...remember a few years ago when the avast program found a few MS files and dlls to be dangerous so it would quarantine or delete them, but we ended up realizing that they were legitimate files needed to make Windows Update work...to this day I think they never actually fixed that...but I digress...

Shame on you avast!  What you did was sneaky.  I'm a person that generally reads terms/conditions, etc. to try to sift out the junk...even though most people just click accept.  Avast, you were NEVER authorized to add the intrusive price shopping feature...which is flawed btw.  (We were looking at 4TB WD hard drives and recommendations were given for a 50% cheaper site...turns out they were for 3 TB drives...)  This price feature was put on apparently through some automatic program and/or definitions update.  Therefore, it was never presented to anyone to properly review, let alone understand what the revision now did...

Adding even more salt to the wound is the apparent lack of disabling the feature forever, let alone an option to completely remove (so far as I presently can tell...)

Avast, it takes a long time to build up a reputable trustworthy relationship, ESPECIALLY when you are in the business of stopping spam, viruses, trojans, malware, and anything under the heading of intrusive, system security compromising, and unsolicited.

You Avast, have just forever tarnished your reputation and have become the very thing that people wanting your program have sought to put an end to...

While I look for an alternative, (maybe I'll give AVG another try), I must say that computer and more specifically internet speed have greatly increased and improved after removing your program.

Thank you for the time and "protection" that you've given us during the good years.

~Patrick

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »
 itsthexypat you can disable Safeprice through the AOS ( Browser Protection ) settings, you do have a choice to not use it.

RubyZen

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 06:29:53 PM »
I have Chrome, and I do not find any options to disable it ANYWHERE. I have really looked everywhere, in the browser (this is AOS settings?), and the Avast in the extentions page, there is no option to disable it, not even mentioned! The same goes for the Avast program settings and so on. AND the same goes for Uninstall feature of Avast, where you can decide what tools or components you actually want. And Safe Price is not mentioned at all. I really don't understand what Avast is doing, frustrating indeed. Im tired of the safe price popup, very annoying if you'd ask me.

Does anyone know what to do? I guess uninstalling everything is the only option left, but I can't do that, just bought a 2 year renewal of their service.

Help?

Oh yes, and by the way, the disable option was not on the question mark option either. From this screenshot that someone posted, it was GONE.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »
I have Chrome, and I do not find any options to disable it ANYWHERE. I have really looked everywhere, in the browser (this is AOS settings?), and the Avast in the extentions page, there is no option to disable it, not even mentioned! The same goes for the Avast program settings and so on. AND the same goes for Uninstall feature of Avast, where you can decide what tools or components you actually want. And Safe Price is not mentioned at all. I really don't understand what Avast is doing, frustrating indeed. Im tired of the safe price popup, very annoying if you'd ask me.

Does anyone know what to do? I guess uninstalling everything is the only option left, but I can't do that, just bought a 2 year renewal of their service.

Help?

Oh yes, and by the way, the disable option was not on the question mark option either. From this screenshot that someone posted, it was GONE.
From the uninstall feature choose change and untick Browser Protection.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 06:55:48 PM »
If you click on the AOS icon (wherever that is located in chrome - I don't use chrome), that would open some AOS details about the page you are on. At the bottom of that there is a Settings option, that opens a new tab with the AOS settings - Safe Price is at the bottom of that page.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AIS-USER

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 04:31:15 AM »
Im so appalled !! What the heck is this i said to myself!! Im infected!! But oh wait! Its my antivirus vendor who has infected my system with this crap! A vendor i trusted managed to sneak at the minimum a controversial feature and enabled it as default knowing there maybe privacy implications as well as a ton of upset users!

This is uncalled for and not acceptable in any way avast!!! Are  you kidding me!!!??

Im not a free user, i paid for my copy of Avast internet security and it should NOT be suggesting products or hijacking my browser in ANY WAY!!!!

Avast are you becoming the Infection!?

Stop behaving sleazy! Especially to your paying customers who have supported you!!

spoonman

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 05:53:55 AM »
I signed up just to voice my opinion on this as well.

>:( >:( >:(
At first I thought for sure spyware had made it through onto my web browser. This is RIDICULOUS for an anti-virus program to attach itself (like a virus) to your web browser! Then to make things worse they only give you the option to disable it for 24 hours?! This is BS plain and simple. I've been using Avast for several years and have recommended it to many clients whom I've repaired and built custom computers for.

If they don't give us a way to remove this for good I will switch back to AVG.

I don't need my anti-virus program telling me where I should be shopping just as I don't want my local butcher telling me which stocks I should be investing in.

Avast, stick to the game at hand and collect our data quietly in the background like everyone else does...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »
If you read my last post (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144408.msg1076569#msg1076569), they have a way to remove this or you can completely remove the AOS browser add-on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lordminty

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 09:35:41 PM »
I signed up just to voice my opinion on this as well.

Ditto - I've just joined up to complain about this as well... as I've just made the mistake of upgrading the Avast Program to 2014.9.0.2016

We use Firefox 28.0 and there is *no* way of disabling Safe Price for longer than 24 hours, the only option is to disable AOS completely - the option that was at the bottom left of the black pop-over when you clicked on the '?' at the top has now gone!

I've been using Avast since I got fed up with Norton slugging Windows98 over a decade ago and I've been recommending it to everyone ever since then.

BUT recent experiences have NOT been good - first with Avast v9 crippling Windows XP at the end of 2013 and then the initial invasion of Safe Price (which I could at least turn off) , but this latest move might make me look for alternative products.

A very disappointed long term user.