Author Topic: Safe Price Addition To Avast - Are You Kidding Me?  (Read 128072 times)

Mark12547

Re: Safe Price Addition To Avast - Are You Kidding Me?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
We use Firefox 28.0 and there is *no* way of disabling Safe Price for longer than 24 hours, the only option is to disable AOS completely - the option that was at the bottom left of the black pop-over when you clicked on the '?' at the top has now gone!

If you click on the avast! Online Security icon to get the sliding panel, at the bottom of that panel is a link to Settings. Go into Settings, and you will see a list of options with checkmarks in front. The very last option (you may have to scroll to see it) is

SafePrice Receive SafePrice shopping recommendations on relevant sites.

Uncheck that line and click on "Save".

This setting should stick until the cookie used by avast! Online Security is deleted.

lordminty

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »
We use Firefox 28.0 and there is *no* way of disabling Safe Price for longer than 24 hours, the only option is to disable AOS completely - the option that was at the bottom left of the black pop-over when you clicked on the '?' at the top has now gone!

If you click on the avast! Online Security icon to get the sliding panel, at the bottom of that panel is a link to Settings. Go into Settings, and you will see a list of options with checkmarks in front. The very last option (you may have to scroll to see it) is

This setting should stick until the cookie used by avast! Online Security is deleted.

Unless Safe Price is activated then I can't get the AOS icon to do anything, there is no sliding panel.

I think I may have got it disabled now - When I restarted Firefox it brought up the Avast page you get after an Avast program update and it offered me an internal link to various settings, e.g. blocking tracking and analytics so I have turned Safe Price off in there now.

I never keep any cookies so I will see what happens at the next restart.

Safe Price needs to be easier to disable and access to the AOS settings in Firefox needs to be simpler.

Paul_D

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 03:09:00 AM »
People, Have a look through recent topics and note how many deal with one aspect or another of the AOS extension (particularly in Firefox) as opposed to the anti-virus proper.

AOS is a crock. Disable the extension. Problems solved. As an extension it just tries to do too much, and apart from its own bugs it seems to conflict with quite a few other popular extensions.

spoonman

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 05:19:53 AM »

I've tried doing this (using the newest version of Mozilla Firefox) and when I click on settings it doesn't nothing. It's greyed out too.

Here's a screenshot.

Why is there no way to do this directly from the Avast program?
They really should have asked you if you want this from the start instead of forcing it on us and leaving it up to us to figure out how to remove it.

So it seems my only options now are to ditch Avast and go back to AVG or remove Avast Online Security and take my chances (nope!).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:21:59 AM by spoonman »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 05:27:27 AM »
Just so it's clear, AOS(Avast Online Security) is just a Browser Plugin/Addon and is NOT the main core function of Avast Anti Virus.
The security issue is minimal at best and really will not put your PC at risk if Uninstalled or Disabled. :)

tokker

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »
So, like others I signed up just because this "feature" bothered me so much. Getting occasional popups for their other services is one thing, but popping up on my third party sites just because someone is selling something that appears to be the same product (except used or refurbished maybe) is exactly the intrusive activity from malware that I want Avast to protect me from. This is exactly the reason why I stopped using McAfee and moved to Avast!

If I want to buy from Amazon, I will buy from Amazon. I am aware that I can shop around for better deals and don't need my virus scanner to nag me about it.

Add the feature, fine. This should have been an opt-in feature. Avast has previously been really good about releasing new features as opt-in features that pop up after an update. They have been drifting away from this recently. Please, Avast, remember why we like using your service!

I don't know about other browsers, but in Chrome you can turn off Safe Price. In the extensions menu (chrome://extensions/) select the options for avast! Online Security. You can disable individual features.

spoonman

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 04:37:16 AM »
So, like others I signed up just because this "feature" bothered me so much. Getting occasional popups for their other services is one thing, but popping up on my third party sites just because someone is selling something that appears to be the same product (except used or refurbished maybe) is exactly the intrusive activity from malware that I want Avast to protect me from. This is exactly the reason why I stopped using McAfee and moved to Avast!

If I want to buy from Amazon, I will buy from Amazon. I am aware that I can shop around for better deals and don't need my virus scanner to nag me about it.

Add the feature, fine. This should have been an opt-in feature. Avast has previously been really good about releasing new features as opt-in features that pop up after an update. They have been drifting away from this recently. Please, Avast, remember why we like using your service!

I don't know about other browsers, but in Chrome you can turn off Safe Price. In the extensions menu (chrome://extensions/) select the options for avast! Online Security. You can disable individual features.

Unfortunately I use Firefox and there is only the option to disable or enable the entire Online Security add-on.
Maybe Google stood up to their BS and told them they had to include more than just a temporary 24 hour option.

I will most likely end up switching back to AVG anyway. They don't try to influence your shopping experience....yet.

tokker

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 05:46:34 AM »
Yeah, that blows.

Offline rpg

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 05:29:10 AM »
SafePrice is awesome!   8)  Just saved me $40!  Thanks Avast for continuing to be the best of breed!  I hope you make a commission off of my purchase because I love that you offer your product for free, which I have been freely enjoying for over 5 years!  Avast ROCKS!!

For the rest of you moaning over sour grapes that you can't compete, like it or lump it...that's business!
For those of you who don't know how to remove a browser plug-in, are you from the past?   :)

nicetech

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »
Yes, so I uninstalled avast and then re-install carefully to uncheck safe price.... >:(

rosalgarcia

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2014, 07:30:18 PM »
Yup, just adding my two cents that this "feature" sucks. It seems like a conflict of interest or simply unethical for them to be doing this and I too think they should stick with anti-virus business and not the "getting the best price on goods' business. Weird.

I've figured out (I think) how to get rid of this Safe Price crap, but the point of my post it so simply document that there's yet another unsatisfied customer out there, in case they think this is a great idea. I think anyone who has an opinion should voice it.

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »
There are 2 problems with SafePrice.  First it has not worked for me.  It compares the price with a different item.  Secondly it is not something I asked for and there seems no way to get rid of it except by disabling things I do want.

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2014, 08:29:15 PM »
"schmmidhouse" said: "Just so it's clear, AOS(Avast Online Security) is just a Browser Plugin/Addon and is NOT the main core function of Avast Anti Virus. The security issue is minimal at best and really will not put your PC at risk if Uninstalled or Disabled"

Sorry for yelling, but *WHAT THE FRICK?* Today, browsers are THE biggest vector for malware! And if Avast is forcing us to disable the "entire" browser protection feature, instead of just the "SafePrice" portion, then that is a very bad thing! Again, apologies for shouting, but... shmidthouse ... REALLY?! Did you really just make that idiotic statement?

Antivirus and Antimalware are not just about "scanning static files that sit on your hard drive." Schmidthouse, the world has changed since 1992, when I used the very first Mozilla browser on a World Wide Web at Naval Research Lab - and the entire Web, at that time, consisted of less than 500 sites, with minimal graphics. Please... get out of the 80's and 90's and read about malware infections, their vectors, how they happen, etc. Sorry to be so blunt, but you struck a nerve. I hope you don't take the above criticism the wrong way. Antimalware/Antivirus protection is very much about preventing malicious content from less-than-wholesome URLs, questionable sites, e-mail inboxes/servers, etc. "File scanning" is just one aspect.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »
@ itfigures
I guess you completely forgot about the avast! Web Shield, which is totally unrelated to the avast Online Security (AOS) browser plugin.

The unfortunate choice of name really makes you think that it is that which provides your on-line security, when it is the Web Shield that is actually scanning the http traffic for malware (not AOS).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2014, 10:42:51 PM »
+1 

Well said, David.

Itfigures, the central column "Tools" are basically fluffware and there is no necessity to use any or all of them. 

The shields (left column) are what are important. 

You can adjust the features in use after the fact to choose only the "Tools" you want to use by going through your Control Panel "Change" function for the Avast entry.

-Noel