Author Topic: Win32:Evo-gen  (Read 19609 times)

Alpha32

Win32:Evo-gen
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:04:02 AM »
Hello,

So I was just randomly reading articles on DigitalSpy like I usually do (this isn't the threat, just telling you what I was doing at the time) and then all of asudden I got a threat detection of Win32:Evo-gen from Steam

I have no idea what it is but it's something to do with vtex.exe whatever that is but it scared the living daylights out of me cos I had the volume on full haha.

Anyways, I don't know if this is just a FP or not? Never had it before nor do I know what vtex.exe is or what it relates to for Steam. Has anyone else encountered this?

dooddale

Re: Win32:Evo-gen
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 02:20:16 AM »
I just got the same problem, it happened when my steam was updating some games. When Avast put it in the Virus Chest, I started to re-update the one game that was stopped, DOTA2. Before it can complete, I got the Avast warning again and it put it in the Virus chest again. I'm not sure if that helps or not, but its worth looking into.

Alpha32

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 02:26:56 AM »
I just got the same problem, it happened when my steam was updating some games. When Avast put it in the Virus Chest, I started to re-update the one game that was stopped, DOTA2. Before it can complete, I got the Avast warning again and it put it in the Virus chest again. I'm not sure if that helps or not, but its worth looking into.
Did you restore the file the first time or did you go straight back to downloading the update?

Thanks

ParadigmShift

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:29:28 AM »
Just had the same problem:

File name: vtex.exe
Folder: c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\570\bin
Size of file: 187904
Virus Description: Win32:Evo-gen [susp]

According to this Valve developer forum, vtex.exe is part of the Source engine. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Vtex

Further, my DOTA2 did update fails in the same way dooddale said. I downloaded it again. Can't play the game until this is fixed.

This absolutely has to be a false positive. I am going to report it as such and "Restore and add to exclusions" from the Virus Chest. If this breaks my computer, I'll come back and let everyone know :) If I don't post back, you can assume it's probably safe.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:32:20 AM by ParadigmShift »

dooddale

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 02:30:18 AM »
I went to Steam and just hit the re-start on DOTA2.

ParadigmShift

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 02:48:14 AM »
OK this is utterly annoying. I've downloaded the DOTA2 update 3 times, and it blocks it every time, even though I added the file to the exclusions list, and verified it's in the list. The update is 500MB so it's not exactly quick each time.

Any ideas on how to make it work, other than completely disabling Avast? Can't play DOTA2 at all.

Straga

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 02:52:44 AM »
Can I just clarify what game people have been trying to update?

For me it was/is DOTA 2 and its vtex.exe thats getting flagged as the virus from the thread title.

I did a fresh install of DOTA 2, but the file was flagged again though it appeared to install correctly at least.

vtex.exe is part of the source engine and DOTA 2 runs that engine so thats likely a link.

dooddale

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 03:01:53 AM »
@Straga
It seems like it is only DOTA2 related. I checked the forms on steam to confirm it is.

Alpha32

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 03:02:32 AM »
Can I just clarify what game people have been trying to update?

For me it was/is DOTA 2 and its vtex.exe thats getting flagged as the virus from the thread title.

I did a fresh install of DOTA 2, but the file was flagged again though it appeared to install correctly at least.

vtex.exe is part of the source engine and DOTA 2 runs that engine so thats likely a link.
The game updating when it first came up was Dota 2 aswell, but it doesn't popup until about mid-way through the download.

mokkaman

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 06:47:04 AM »
Same problem for me when updating dota 2. Avast moved vtex.exe to chest (false positive) . Finally I ended up updating dota for 1.6gb instead of 109mb  - after disabling avast.
Hope they give an update and make sure vtex.exe is not detected as virus. Similar problem in frozenThrone.exe for warcraft 3 frozen throne- being moved to chest. May be a bad virus database update, those who dint update would not have faced these issues.

Alpha32

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 05:29:20 PM »
Same problem for me when updating dota 2. Avast moved vtex.exe to chest (false positive) . Finally I ended up updating dota for 1.6gb instead of 109mb  - after disabling avast.
Hope they give an update and make sure vtex.exe is not detected as virus. Similar problem in frozenThrone.exe for warcraft 3 frozen throne- being moved to chest. May be a bad virus database update, those who dint update would not have faced these issues.
I managed to update dota 2 last night after updating to the latest definitions (140110-0) and it updated, however my update was 132mb. I've been hearing that people have been getting different update sizes. Kinda weird, glad the definition update fixed it though.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »
Well this is an old topic but it has been ringing my "Avast" alarm for two days...........Product key trouble...paid for it the first time by the way.  Had to run a mirror image due to a virus.  Ran a program "windows Activator"  caught the virus from that.
Infekce zablokována

Nightdriver

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
if you see the pic posted in first post ..... there are some options at the bottom of the popup

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 11:00:34 PM »
I think that is the pro(payed) version.  I could always say it a false positive.  Then I risk damage to my machine if I'm wrong.