Author Topic: I keep getting "this web page is unavailable" whenever I go to a 2nd site  (Read 11682 times)

abmetzy1

Re: I keep getting "this web page is unavailable" whenever I go to a 2nd site
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 08:34:02 AM »
Thank you so very much! I greatly appreciate it!

Offline Asyn

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 08:49:58 AM »
You're welcome. Please be patient.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »
Hi abmetzy1,

Argus is currently busy. I shall look at your logs ...

-Should I keep OTL on my comp or uninstall it, delete it or however you get rid of it?
-Do I need to keep any of the logs?
-should I keep zoek on the comp?
-what about the avast anti-root kit aka (asmMBR)?
-and finally the JTR?

- No, we shall uninstall OTL by clicking the CleanUp! button in OTL's GUI.
- No. They should be removed after OTL's CleanUp procedure or after DelFix tool. we will use this tool soon.
- No. Zoek will be removed by DelFix
- aswMBR shall be removed as well by OTL's CleanUp or DelFix.
- JRT is simular as AdwCleaner. The difference is that AdwC has larger detection rate.

I keep getting "this web page is unavailable" whenever I go to a 2nd site

Do you still have this problem?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:36:29 PM by magna86 »

abmetzy1

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 03:33:51 PM »
Hi magna86,
Thank you for taking the time to help me. And for answering all my crazy questions that you probably did not have to but sometimes I just get very curious. I do want to say that yes my original problem is still here. I am frequently getting this web page in unavailable or something similar to that nature, and now it even happens on the original page I try to bring up, not just when I click to got to a second site. My computer has also gotten extremely slow...I do not know why. Sometimes it makes that thinking sound for 8-10 minutes before I can get chrome to open, also itunes and my documents.

So, if you have any suggestions, I am all yours...I really don't want to have to get a new laptop. I am trying to put as much stuff as I can on flash drives and disks, so it is not too overloaded. I also put some stuff on google drive and picasa. I don't know if that helps or hurts? If you could let me know any thoughts or ideas.

Hi abmetzy1,

Argus is currently busy. I shall look at your logs ...

I keep getting "this web page is unavailable" whenever I go to a 2nd site

Do you still have this problem?
[/quote]

This is my other question and I am not sure what to do about it. To me it seems like it slows things down when I start up...but that is just me, so I look to you for your expertise on this as well.

Also, during the process of dealing with the malware it turned off Windows Security Alerts and Automatic Updates. Do I need that turned on or should I leave it off. IF, I leave it off, is there a way to stop it from sending notices in the little balloon updates saying my computer is not safe??

It is kind of driving me crazy.
Thanks

Thank you so much for your time and taking this on mid-stream. I am very appreciative!
Have a great weekend!
abmetzy1

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 12:50:39 PM »
Hi

I shall need to re-look your system. I will use FRST mights for that ...

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool () by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

abmetzy1

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 08:12:33 AM »
Hello, I ran the scan that you said to run and I am attaching both of the logs. Thank you in advance!

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »
 Please download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp
    files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute
    or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
---------------------------------------------

Follow these guide for setting the home page on Google Chrome back on google.com
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en

Delete all your cache & cookies on Chrome ...
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582?hl=en

Is that help? If not, set the Chrome back to defaults settings ...

Open Google Chrome then click on the "Customize and Control Google Chrome" button.
    Go to Settings > "Show Advanced Settings".
    Scroll to the "Reset Browser Settings" section.

Info:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/29225-google-chrome-restore-to-default-settings

abmetzy1

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
Hello I ran it, it did not change a thing. Other than me having to put my passwords in over again. It is running the slowest it has ever run. I keep getting the pop-up in the right hand corner that Avast internet security is turned off and I don't know how to fix it I am getting frustrated with having the wait/force close button come up every time I open anything. Do you have anything else to try, Please?

Thanks!

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 04:57:51 PM »
Why did you bolded your words?

Posted logs doesn't show malware, therefore I can't help you.  Try to do re-install Chrome browser (uninstall and then fresh install) that shoudl help ...

I do not know which computer configuration you possess but as you have Windows XP system, I suppose to an some older config (old processor, low ram, los GPU, slow HDD...).
Perhaps this is the problem as well ...

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
I do have one more shot if you will ... but I can tell that will help ...

1. Please download ComboFix by sUBs from here and save it to your Desktop.
    If you are unsure how ComboFix works please read this guide carefully.
    Note: ComboFix must be downloaded to your Desktop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    2. Temporarily disable your AntiVirus program, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may interfere with Combofix.
    If you are unsure how to do this please read this or this Instruction.

Instructions how to disable avast:

• Right click on the avast! system tray icon () in the lower right corner of the screen and scroll up to avast! shield controls;

• In the menu that appears, choose Disable Permanently. When you are prompted to turn off security, click Yes.
Note: Do not forget to turn back on this option after the cleaning by choosing avast! shield controls > Enable all shield options.

3. Run ComboFix. Click on I Agree!

- ComboFix will display DISCLAIMER of warranty on software.
    By clicking I Agree ComboFix shall continue.

- ComboFix will check if there is a newer version of ComboFix available.
    Click Yes if prompted to download.

-If Recovery Console is not installed, ComboFix will offer download & installation.
    Click Yes to allow ComboFix to install Recovery Console.
    - ComboFix will scan your computer in stages, total of 50 stages.
    Do not mouse-click around while ComboFix is running.
    Note:If you see a message like "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion" just restart your computer.

4. When the tool is finished, it will produce a log report for you. (typical location: C:\ComboFix.txt )
    Attach log reports ( ComboFix.txt) back to topic.

abmetzy1

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 12:33:46 AM »
I am sorry I did not realize that my words were bolded. All I did was change the font size, I am not sure why it did that.. I apologize if that offended you, as I .certainly did not mean to do so. I have very much appreciated you help and try the next scan to see what will happen next.
Thanks

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »
No problem.  ;)

Just allow ComboFix to finish his magic. Post here logs and then we shall se is there any progress ...

abmetzy1

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 02:04:42 AM »
Hello, I can not get the scan to work. First off, chrome would not let me have access to anything on the internet, so I uninstalled and re-installed. At least now I am able to get online and send you this message. I have tried the ComboFix three times. It says it will last 10 minutes, unless there are deeper problems, so I have waited on average 20-30 minutes each time and nothing ever happens. The cursor actually stops blinking and it times out, so the only thing I can do is press the button  until it is off.

Is there anyway we can start at then beginning. I know you were not in on all the start up scans, so maybe if we do that we will make some sort of progress instead of going nowhere, or on my end getting worse. I have to have use of my computer and when I can not even access the internet like today, it is a bad situation.

Please let me know what you think and how to proceed.
Thanks!

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 02:32:25 PM »
Hi,

Is there anyway we can start at then beginning. I know you were not in on all the start up scans, so maybe if we do that we will make some sort of progress instead of going nowhere, or on my end getting worse. I have to have use of my computer and when I can not even access the internet like today, it is a bad situation.

I've used FRST tool for the system diagnosis. There is no better diagnostic tool than FRST as it covers everything. Same goes for OTL. I can not help you because you do not have a problem that is malware related. I can not fix something what I do not see.

My recommendation is to use another web browser like Firefox, or to simply preform Windows reinstall/repair. Especially since Microsoft leaving their support for your OS now in April.

Try to run fresh copy of ComboFix in safe mode. That might help ... If not, I would apply the above advices.