Author Topic: Does ZoneAlarm work with Avast Home?  (Read 8038 times)

ymai

Does ZoneAlarm work with Avast Home?
« on: June 20, 2005, 11:04:31 PM »
Hi
I just read http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11486.0 because a friend of mine lost his connexion just after he installed Avast Home (latest version) and ZA (latest version June 2005).
Should anyone have information about an incompatibility between those products?
The confirmation of the compatibility would be highly appreciated too.
Thanks a lot for any answer.
Configuration: PIV, Win2k, 512Mo
Ymai

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Does ZoneAlarm work with Avast Home?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 11:09:00 PM »
At least with ZA (free) version there is no problem.
ZA Privacy features (cookies, etc.) has problems with avast.
This incompatibility was already solved in last avast! versions. At least, I have the last free version + avast + XP and it works.
The best things in life are free.

MFB

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 11:30:47 PM »
Hi
I just read http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11486.0 because a friend of mine lost his connexion just after he installed Avast Home (latest version) and ZA (latest version June 2005).
Should anyone have information about an incompatibility between those products?
The confirmation of the compatibility would be highly appreciated too.
Thanks a lot for any answer.
Configuration: PIV, Win2k, 512Mo
Ymai

Zone Alarm does work with avast! Only in Pro edition you have to disable those privacy controls.  I hope this new version of Zone Alarm fix this.  We have been waiting soo long.   :)

Col Colt

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 11:41:22 PM »
Fixer...what did you mean when you said "only in ZA Pro do you have to disable those privacy features? I just got ZA Pro and avast less tha three weeks ago after I ditched NIS and have had some loggin problems wherever I go...doesn't want to stay logged in for some reason. I have to keep doing it whenever I go from one sub forum to another within a given forum or after loggin and attempt to reply to a post or start a new thread myself, I have to loggin once more. Is there a way to bypass this with this combination as I didn't have that trouble before.

BTW-this happens whatever browser I use-FF, Mozilla or even IE.

MFB

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 11:50:47 PM »
Zone Alarm Pro offers cookies and privacy controls, in order maintain a balance between webshield and zone alarm, you have to disable the privacy and cookie functions. 

ymai

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 12:26:30 AM »
Many thanks to Tech and Fixer for their answers.
Ymai

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 01:09:56 AM »
I have Xp Home SP2, Avast! Home & Zone Alarm Free (the latest versions).  I have no problems, they work great together!

In fact even with the 15 day free trail of Zone Alarm Pro with the privacy controls on I had no real problem.  The pages would load but the Firefox loading icon wouldn't stop spinning.  With privacy controls off the icon stopped when the page finished loading.

If you're having problems, maybe you are infected with malware (viruses, trojan horses, worms, spyware, adware, etc.)   See my sig below for good freeware to fight the Malware War.  I believe I have assembled an outstanding Army.  They defend my PC valiantly.

MFB

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 01:17:16 AM »
But the privacy controls in Zone Alarm Pro is the main problem cause it conflicts with Webshield.   I don't see how it might be a cause of a spyware or virus.   :-\  Some people like you don't have this problem which is good, but most of the people do recieved this problem that deals with Zone Alarm Pro Privacy controls.   :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 01:19:02 AM by FIXER »

Col Colt

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 01:20:37 AM »
That don't make sense to me. To pay extra for a product (ZA Pro) just so you have to delete part of its functions? Sounds like a bad design on someone's part to me.

rdmaloyjr...I probably have more security than you do!! ;D Only difference I have Spy Sweeper, BoClean and Trojan Hunter...no Yahoo anything. :) Oh, throw in a Linksys Router with that, too. I have no spyware, worms or Trojans...clean as a new born baby. It's not an infection that's causing the problem...some tweak somewhere.

FIXER-do you suppose in my case my loggin problem is because of ZA Pro settings?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 01:23:23 AM by Col Colt »

MFB

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 01:22:48 AM »
But sadly even with Zone Alarm free edition (with no privacy controls) avast! Webshield thinks it does have privacy controls enable.  I keep hoping that Zone Labs will fix this issue.   :)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 01:51:23 AM »
I said "maybe" as a possible cause.   It won't hurt to check for malware.

"If you're having problems, maybe you are infected with malware (viruses, trojan horses, worms, spyware, adware, etc.)"

I wasn't bragging about how much protection I have, only encouraging all to take a layered approach against malware.  Not every program catches everything.  Some catch what others miss.

Col Colt

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 02:03:24 AM »
This is very true...was just teasing because I'm a firm believer in being "overgunned". If Spybot and AdAware are good then Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard can help. That's my philosophy. I had very little problem with this computer until CompUSA did a clean install a few weeks back and although it fixed my two problems initially, I've gained four more. :(

MarcZ

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 06:43:39 AM »
Col Colt
For the ZA Pro I have the Cookie control turned off in ZA so that my Firefox will control cookies and I haven't had problems with logons since I have turned it off.  Avast and ZA Pro were conflicting somehow till I turned that off.  Try it.  I have the Internet Zone in ZA set to High and Trusted to Medium with no problems

Col Colt

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 11:17:47 PM »
MarkZ-So far that seems to work much better. I'll leave it like that for a while and see what happens. Thanks for that tip. ;)

Col Colt

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 03:31:37 AM »
I've followed MarkZ's advice about those tweaks in ZA Pro all this evening and haven't had to loggin anywhere like last night! What an improvement! :o  I knew it was some tweaks here and there...just didn't know where to do it.

Thanks again one and all for your suggestions. Hopefully, tomorrow won't be any different than tonight. ZA needs to get their act together on these problems with avast.