Author Topic: Unable to reinstall Avast Pro on Windows XP 64-bit  (Read 6655 times)

pawelb

Unable to reinstall Avast Pro on Windows XP 64-bit
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »
Hi

After recent update, Windows stuck with not desktop (seems to stuck befor login window) just ordinary color background. After that the only solution was to restor to recent working state via system restore. I revert to "before" Avast update and it is fine. But now I was unable to reinstall on top of it. So I remove from control panel and reinstalation get me to initial situation. So I removed "by hand" (add/remove programs) - remove from registry all Avast, Awil related entries - but same story. I am out of ideas? On website I found the Avast Pro is compatible with XP 64, and it was so far? What was changed? Any idea?

Thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Unable to reinstall Avast Pro on Windows XP 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:36 AM »
- Other security related software installed..??
- Which AV(s) did you use before avast!..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

pawelb

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
Nothing. The strange thing is that I do not even reach finish of the install. After 20 min I tried to shutdown, due to complete inactivity of Avast install program. Is there any way to check logs, without install finish? Is install writing to any log file?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 06:34:50 AM »
Is install writing to any log file?

Yes, there should be a file named setup.log.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

GreggH

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:08:06 PM »
Nothing. The strange thing is that I do not even reach finish of the install. After 20 min I tried to shutdown, due to complete inactivity of Avast install program. Is there any way to check logs, without install finish? Is install writing to any log file?

In the non-beta forums, it has been reported that using a custom HOSTS file prevents the installation of Avast from completing, in such a manner as you describe. Do you use a custom HOSTS file, such as MVPS HOSTS? If so, rename that file temporarily, try the Avast install again, and if it completes, rename the HOSTS file back.

Gregg

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 05:09:49 PM »

In the non-beta forums, it has been reported that using a custom HOSTS file prevents the installation of Avast from completing, in such a manner as you describe. Do you use a custom HOSTS file, such as MVPS HOSTS? If so, rename that file temporarily, try the Avast install again, and if it completes, rename the HOSTS file back.

Gregg

That issue with the host files has been fixed for around a week now.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •