Author Topic: WEB SHIELD question  (Read 2785 times)

mugwampbro

WEB SHIELD question
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »
Concerning WEB SHIELD (avast free 2014)

In MAIN SETTINGS, I have enable web scanning checked  but "use intelligent stream scanning" unchecked (with the understanding that all files will be scanned AFTER they are downloaded).

Then under WEB SCANNING, I have "scan all files" unchecked (to speed up web browsing)

I still want "all files' scanned once they are downloaded. I just don't want them scanned WHILE they're downloading

So my question is: Do I have these settings configured correct to my way of thinking or are they just counteracting each other?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here. Basically does one effect the other?Thanx

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: WEB SHIELD question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:27:07 PM »
For the best protection have all of the above checked.
Once downloaded the file shield will kick in.
However unless they are executable files they will remain inert.
During the download phase the file(s) are being scanned by ashquick.exe in avast.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

olddog

Re: WEB SHIELD question
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:39:18 AM »
Then under WEB SCANNING, I have "scan all files" unchecked (to speed up web browsing)

In Web Shield Setting->Web Scanning, you can't just uncheck "Scan all files". You can only shift the radio button from "Scan all files" to "Scan selected file types only", and the onus is then on you to individually specify what types of files should be scanned when they are downloaded, in the boxes provided. If you haven't specified any, then I wouldn't expect any will be scanned by the Webshield process.

In MAIN SETTINGS, I have enable web scanning checked [/b] but "use intelligent stream scanning" unchecked (with the understanding that all files will be scanned AFTER they are downloaded).

There has been some discussion elsewhere in the forum on the issue of whether files will actually be scanned at the completion of a download depending on the browser being used - Firefox being given as one in doubt.

They should in any case be scanned by the File Shield (under the Scan when writing rule) providing you haven't disabled that.