Author Topic: Update fixes an issue that causes Windows to crash [KB2913431]  (Read 5709 times)

Zen11t

Update fixes an issue that causes Windows to crash [KB2913431]
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »
This update fixes an issue that may cause a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer to crash. This issue occurs when a program that uses Windows Filtering Platform (such as an antivirus program) is running on the computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2913431

thekochs

Re: Update fixes an issue that causes Windows to crash [KB2913431]
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:29:54 AM »
Any reply from Avast team on this ?....I see it is part of the new Jan MS updates release.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:32:01 AM by thekochs »

CooloutAC

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »
What do they mean by crash?  I never bsod or freeze up?    My programs never crash except maybe the browser once in a while.   I'm thinking i probably shouldn't install this?  Or should i just to be safe?   

Any comments?

Rich/

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 07:17:30 PM »
What do they mean by crash?  I never bsod or freeze up?    My programs never crash except maybe the browser once in a while.   I'm thinking i probably shouldn't install this?  Or should i just to be safe?   

Any comments?

Rich/
This update fixes an issue that may cause a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer to crash

You should always install updates.

CooloutAC

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »

Any comments?

Rich/
This update fixes an issue that may cause a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer to crash

You should always install updates.

Well I only install recommended updates if they apply to me.    I guess I do use a virus scan so maybe a good idea to install this one. :)

Offline Navvy

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »
It didn't solve my BSOD problem.  Installed the updates yesterday, including reboot (twice) and hibernated last night.  This morning I gont the BSOD in the middle of typing my Windows login password.  Usually it get a bit further than that, and BSODs while I am trying to do things while it is still recovering from standby/hibernation.

I've disabled automatic standby & hibernation so that it will only hibernate if I choose, which means I can make sure nothing important is running.  I ws trying hibernation in the hope that the bug might have been fixed.  It's been doing it on and off since I bought the Dell Inspiron two years ago, but is now getting much more frequent.