Author Topic: Why I'm leaving Avast  (Read 6620 times)

iroc9555

Re: Why I'm leaving Avast
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 01:01:13 AM »
... Avast's emergency update "camouflages" itself. It presents its requests to the firewall as a different program, with a different filename -- a RANDOM filename, for God's sake -- upon which the firewall does its job, which is asking the admin to okay or not okay access by a program that has *never* run before ....

So make a wild card for that program under avastEmUpdate.exe. I run Comodo set to Paranoid Mode in Defence + and eventhough I have avastEmUpdate set as a Installer/Updater if a new program runs, like you said, I get an alert. I did not use * to make the wild card because is to generic, anything can pass by, but you can use ? in the serial number that way the file has to be as set by avast!
C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\????????-????-????-????-????????????.exe

I have it under avastEmUpdate under execute programs and also alone as a rule for Installer/Updater.

richwalters

Re: Why I'm leaving Avast
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »
You allow your antivirus to run through your firewall,why not let all part of the antivirus,like emergency update to also run through the firewall.Thats not being security minded,that's being paranoid.

I downloaded the 30 day trial version, tried posting on the other general site but for some reason won't allow...so I dunno....strange program; I run x62 Swiss german Kb; most programs in English; I set the avast of Eng US; and what happens, the square help palette comes out in french, the language German, Oh please, this isn't 25 yrs experience. avast! crashes Firefox to no end; 46 times in 5 mins; just remember to turn off the Script protect and abandon the internal windows firewall, which it doesn't do...I'm returning to McAfee. Sorry folks you are trying to sell me cra*p.