Author Topic: Windows Update kb890830 download blocked on Win 8.1  (Read 3791 times)

ihateregistration

Windows Update kb890830 download blocked on Win 8.1
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
I want to report a false alarm and an user experience bug.

So the false alarm is: http://i39.tinypic.com/20qx64j.png Windows 8.1 x64, Windows Update reports that there really are updates to download.

And the UX bug is that you can't resize the window to see the full info and you can't copy the info to clipboard.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Windows Update kb890830 download blocked on Win 8.1
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
Strange, I never had this issue yesterday when I was updating one of my Win 8.1 systems.

In my understanding, you have enabled a setting in the web shield (warn of low reputable downloads) which is not selected by default.

This will mean that anything new/unknown to avast! which has low prevalence and other factors such as digital signature to alert a popup.

So this is not a false positive since you have chosen to set up avast! this way.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »
kb890830 was the windows malicious software removal tool, the update installed fine for me.

ihateregistration

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:23:50 PM »
I don't remember changing anything in the web shield. I enabled system hardening though. Do you think it changes other settings too?

Also it seems that update was downloaded trough HTTP. Either MS is stupid or there was a way to verify that file wasn't tampered with in transit. Signed checksum, perhaps?

And there still is that UX bug. Can anyone forward it to Avast devs?