Author Topic: Keeping XP after April 2014  (Read 11275 times)

garbin

Keeping XP after April 2014
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:55:16 PM »
I use a fully updated version of XP pro for my daily computing chores .  It was new in 2006.  It might sound old, but it runs plenty fast for everything I need to do, and is very stable. My question is,, what can I do after MS drops support for XP in April?
I don't want a newer Version of Windows,  and I am not fully comfortable with Linux, though I've been fiddling off and on with it for years.
I'm considering building a Linux based firewall machine to place at the entry point of my (cable connected) network, and of course considering the switch to a Linux desktop, but dread the learning curve. ( I have built Linux firewall boxes before)
Is there any possibility that I could run XP unpatched, (after April), with a software firewall, and be safe?  How about with the hardware firewall in front of it?

Sorry about the multiple questions,  but this is something that's been digging at me since I heard about the April cut off.  Poo on Microsoft!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Keeping XP after April 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »
I'll stay with XP. I rely on avast! and my HIPS (D+).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 05:07:36 PM »
I'm in no rush, but this is a decision that only the user can make.

They must be aware that future vulnerabilities won't be fixed and may lead to exploits. So you really have to have a robust backup and recovery strategy. For me that is backing up volatile data files (media, .doc, .xls, emails, etc. etc.) daily and doing a weekly drive image of my partitions/drives.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

vsub

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:51:49 PM »
Will you believe me if I tell you I'm using XP Pro SP2 with no updates at all since 2006 for many years.
The only thing for protection I use is avast free and the windows firewall(if it's actually useful for something)

I use firefox for a browser,use the addon noscript wisely,and adblock and stylish for annoying things when the scripts are running.
I don't remember when was that last time I had to deal with any kind of malware and believe it or not,I can tell if something is running\doing things without my approval.

Don't know why should I care if the support end(I've never been using any kind of MS support anyway).
Like I always like to say "it depends on the device behind the keyboard"

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 10:07:57 PM »
Many users are less prone to attack because of their safe hex practices, there are some that it doesn't seem to matter what OS they have they are constantly being attacked.

Whilst I'm a believer of whist there is support available for your OS then it should be used.

Aside from what you see in my signature I also use DropMyRights, for all internet facing applications, browsers, email clients, etc. to lower permissions so malware can't have full rights.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 11:17:07 PM »
Apparently Microsoft had a change of mind. They will still continue and provide support (providing updates to it's virus definitions) for existing installation of MSE until April 15,2015 even after the end of support for Windows XP ends this April. They will stop the installation of new MSE and recommend to install third party antivirus softwares i.e. Avast, Norton, McAfee, and etc.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-security-essentials-no-new-installations-after-april-7000025225/
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-extend-windows-xp-anti-malware-updates-one-year-7000025215/

Though April 15, 2015 is not a very long time and better be safe than sorry we should upgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1 with third party antivirus softwares.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
Apparently Microsoft had a change of mind. They will still continue and provide support (providing updates to it's virus definitions) for existing installation of MSE until April 15,2015 even after the end of support for Windows XP ends this April. They will stop the installation of new MSE and recommend to install third party antivirus softwares i.e. Avast, Norton, McAfee, and etc.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-security-essentials-no-new-installations-after-april-7000025225/
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-extend-windows-xp-anti-malware-updates-one-year-7000025215/

Though April 15, 2015 is not a very long time and better be safe than sorry we should upgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1 with third party antivirus softwares.

Microsoft will continue to provide signatures for well-known malicious programs that will help Windows XP spot when viruses, trojans and other cyber-threats try to compromise a PC. The malware-spotting updates will be provided for Microsoft's Security Essentials and for a wide variety of corporate tools used to protect large numbers of PCs.

These security updates will be produced until 14 July, 2015.

However, security patches, regular updates and bug fixes for XP will stop as scheduled on 8 April.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:15:27 AM »
In all honesty keeping updating MSE signatures in XP installations when it offers pretty poor protection in comparison to avast. So this is a bit of a red herring, given that MSE on XP is 'just' and anti-spyware and not an anti-virus and they are also recommending the installation of a proper 3rd party AV.

dprout69

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:29:13 AM »
Just curious... I loved XP but windows 7 is awesome... why not upgrade?

Oh and F*CK Windows 8... and F*CK You Microsoft for making Windows 8...

That is all...  :D

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 03:52:23 AM »
Windows 7 works fine on my Pentium 4 @3.20ghz and 3.256gb ddr1 ram (computer originally came with 256mb ram; we got it in 2004). I can get a few 30+ tabs, a game open, skype, word processor (I use AbiWord), multiple pdf files (Foxit Reader), a music player (AIMP3), sublime text, Windows Media Player, etc. and still maintain nice speeds despite being single-core.

Do note that I use Firefox for many tabs. Chrome/IE11 will use individual processes and use more of my ram.

After I upgraded to 7, WMP was much faster (I mean really fast, on my XP watching 720p in full speed was almost impossible) despite being on the same processor and using the same graphics card. I was able to play 3 1080p videos simultaneously with < 80% on my legacy processor before I upgraded (used to use P4 @2.80ghz). That really surprised me! :)

If you can upgrade your OS, you should! Windows 7 is nice after using XP/Vista for many years.

Regards,
~!Donovan
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Tangy

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 04:36:02 AM »
Even though my pc is pretty modern I opted to install xp sp3 pro. That was last year. I have been using avast free for more than ten years never had any issues whatsoever. Currently I am using avast 8 but that's besides the point. I purchased win 7 ultimate a year and a half ago and installed it on my kids computer. I have to admit it I like it. You see I love XP the damn thing is really flying. What am I going to do about it ? I haven't really decided as yet. I am very tempted to keep it for at least till June. I think I'll play it by ear !
XP Lover !  8)
You might find this interesting !  ;)

http://www.infoworld.com/d/consumerization-of-it/dont-believe-the-lies-about-windows-xps-imminent-death-233815
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:37:56 AM by Tangy »
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 04:42:00 AM »
I was given this Forum a little while ago as I also will be looking to stay secure on xpSP3 after April.  :)
Lots of input here: http://www.msfn.org/board/

Offline Tangy

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 04:52:15 AM »
I was given this Forum a little while ago as I also will be looking to stay secure on xpSP3 after April.  :)

You made my day !  :) Thanks.

XP Lover  8)
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

waking

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 04:54:31 AM »
Interesting summary of AV vendors' possible commitments to XP support here:

"AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: The End Is Nigh for Windows XP:
These Anti-Virus Software Products Will Continue to Protect XP after the End of Support"

http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/artikel/the-end-is-nigh-for-windows-xp-these-anti-virus-software-products-will-continue-to-protect-xp-after/

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 04:56:47 AM »

You made my day !  :) Thanks.

XP Lover  8)

You're welcome ;)