Author Topic: 2 Providers Not Running  (Read 5055 times)

download_fiend

2 Providers Not Running
« on: June 21, 2005, 11:39:28 PM »
I have avast! Home edition running on two computers: my family's computer and my laptop.  On the home computer, 6 of the 7 providers are running (I don't use Outlook, only OE).  However, on my laptop only 4 of the providers are running.  The Internet Mail and Web Shield are not running, and I can't seem to get them to start.  Anyone got a solution? 

One note that may be of interest:

I recently moved from college back home.  At school, I had a high-speed LAN internet connection that was always on.  I think that all 6 providers were running when I was at school.  But now that I'm at home, I'm back to crappy 56K, and I've noticed that 2 providers aren't running.  Could my internet connection have something to do with it? 

dgdavid

Re: 2 Providers Not Running
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 01:56:11 AM »
As you note, it may be because of the limited bandwidth, that some of your providers do not run.

It may help if you note which of the providers that are disabled..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 02:52:00 AM »
The Internet Mail and Web Shield are not running, and I can't seem to get them to start.  Anyone got a solution?
Can you see if the services are starting 'manual' and 'automatically' respectively?
(Start > Control Panel > Administrative tools > Services)

Or, you can try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

download_fiend

I am stupid
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 05:04:49 AM »
The Internet Mail and Web Shield are not running, and I can't seem to get them to start.  Anyone got a solution?
Can you see if the services are starting 'manual' and 'automatically' respectively?
(Start > Control Panel > Administrative tools > Services)

Or, you can try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Wow, now I feel really stupid for not figuring this out.  I had the 2 services disabled (because I recently switched to avast! and had been using a different antivirus before).  All I had to do was set the services to "Automatic" and the problem was solved. 

Thanks Tech, good call. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I am stupid
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 04:32:08 PM »
All I had to do was set the services to "Automatic" and the problem was solved.
The Mail Scanner Service should run on 'Manual', not automatic.
Welcome to avast forums  8)
The best things in life are free.

download_fiend

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 10:44:34 PM »
How about the web scanner?  Should it be manual or automatic? 

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 11:41:36 PM »
I have mine on manual and as soon as I fire up FF itworks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 12:33:38 AM »
Manual is the correct setting for Web Shield ashWebSv.exe the same as ashMaiSv.exe the Mail scanner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security