Author Topic: Upload Issues (Web Shield) [Fix inbound]  (Read 41317 times)

OliPicard

Upload Issues (Web Shield) [Fix inbound]
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:58:34 PM »
Dear Avast,

Since Version 2011 I have been experiencing issues with uploading files to dmcloud and sproutvideo. The uploaders would claim that my upload speed was 3gb/s when the actual speed is kb/s I have found disabling the Web Shield fixes the issue however I wanted to find a simple fix. I installed the new beta hoping this had been fixed only to find that the issue is still active.  I have installed a clean version of Windows and have gotten the same issues as before.

Problem:Uploading content to websites using flash and HTML5 uploaders results in the illusion of "ultra fast" speeds when the file is being actively skipped by Web Shield.
Clean Install?: Yes
Clean OS Install?: Yes
Avast Version: 9.0.9.2012
Troubleshooting: Disable Web Shield and attempt to upload file. File Uploads act normally. Reactivate Shield and uploads start to zoom up in gb/s rather than kb/s.
Installs: Installing from version 2011 to version 2012 caused the anti-spam module to disable it's self. Installing BETA 2012 on clean OS Install has fixed this problem however the web shield issue is still active.

I have installed the latest BETA build and it has become even more unstable after doing a straight install over the previous version.

Should i do a clean install?

Thanks
Oliver

[update 1]: AVAST has offloaded some of the web shield resources onto the "cloud" causing a bottleneck when uploads happen. This was meant to improve performance and provide on-the-fly updates to the latest vulnerabilities  however people with slower uploads/connections are finding this problematic. Testing was done on a fast network at AVAST so this bug wasn't discovered until users started using the product. This has happened in the past with other Avast products and is just part and parcel of modern software development. It has been suggested that making the shield go into "proxy mode" ie without streaming updates should help provide a temp fix
[update 2]: I contacted Lukor to get an update on the progress of the bug, He provided me with an Alpha build which has fixed the issue. This should be passed down to everyone else thru a new software update however you will need to switch off of proxy mode to get the streaming mode back.
[update 3:Build 2013 has been released to everyone http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145192.0;topicseen

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:09:12 PM by OliPicard »

OliPicard

Re: Upload Issues (Web Shield)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
Ive had to reformat the machine again, Since installing the beta the following issues have happened.

Flash Player (ActiveX) has removed its self from the uninstall list.
Web Shield crashes Avast after disabling the Web Shield during an upload.
Web Shield is currently causing the computer to provide inaccurate reading of the upload speed of the computer when uploading.
The Anti-spam module has been disabled since installing the beta version of avast. running a repair install has not helped resolve this issue.

Avast Version: 2012

In Version 2011 I also had issues with the Web Shield however I had the ability to disable the shield with less crashes. Since the beta update 2012 the computer has become unstable. I am very disappointed with the changes in Web Shield.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:40:59 PM by OliPicard »

OliPicard

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »
Ok Day 2 of problems (No Response from AVAST yet...)

Have installed a clean copy of windows and a clean copy of avast 2012 (Beta)

Have tried to upload a video to sproutvideo.com using the HTML5 uploader and have had the upload uploading at 6gb/s (which isnt correct) after disabling the web shield I am able to upload again without issues.  The same problem also happens with api.dmcloud.net and dmcloud.net's flash uploader. Disabling the Shield is the only way past this or finding an alternative piece of software until Avast can fix this. I have been using Avast since version 7 without problems. Now with Avast 9 there has been software updater issues and uploading problems.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 05:09:27 PM »
OliPicard please keep all your posts regarding this issue here in the one topic, posting in multiple areas gets confusing.

OliPicard

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 05:12:58 PM »
OliPicard please keep all your posts regarding this issue here in the one topic, posting in multiple areas gets confusing.
Hi Criag, Ok thought that the Web Shield fix post would be the place to post feedback as lukor said "I would be very happy to hear about your experience with the patched driver.
" When i had this issue with 2011 I was informed it was related to that fault posted on the forum. Sorry if i caused any offense.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »
There is not much I can offer you in explanations I'm afraid, I never had to use any patched driver and the beta functions perfectly for me.

I have reported this topic so hopefully the avast team will look into it for you.

OliPicard

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »
Much Appreciated, I'm confused as well! Hopefully it's something we can fix

Parabell

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »
Sorry, but I am really p*ssed off!

Since before Christmas I have problems with the new Avast!
First Dropbox synchronization was and is not possible anymore (upload)
and I hung up with that (also in the Dropbox-Support forums).

Now I habe seen, that it seems to be that generally uploads to websites
are difficult, because that doesn´t work either! With the same problems,
first ridiculous high speeds, but no uploading at all.

I tried repairing Avast, I tried the fix, I tried the beta, nothing helps.

Problem ist the web shield.
Next problem: Avast freezes most of the times, when I try to deactivate
the web shield!!! I event can´t kill the frozen Avast-task with the task monitor!

Then I have a jolly entertainment with rebooting my computer, waiting
for Avast, trying to deactivate the web shield again, freezin´, rebooting
my computer AGAIN and so on and on.

I use:
Windows 7 Home  SP 1, 64 bit
Avast Free, 22014.9.0.2012, Version 140114-1

aswstm.sys - file version: 9.0.2012.285
and no aswstm.sys.sum anymore since installing beta

I guess we all have better things to do, than testing this, installing
that, trying something else and so on.

I need my internet connection to share data, it just has to work, which
it does not since before christmas!

I was always satisfied with Avast, for many years. Ok, sometimes there
were updates which gave false positives, but that was mostly repaired
a +few hours later+, so no need to complain.

But this time I am waiting nearly a month for a working update, which
is much too much trouble!

Please: I want a solution and it would be nice, if it came finally!
I really wish I could have the old program back, really!

Cheers,

Monica

P.S. sorry for my English, but in the German forum groups
I found no similar thread.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:00:10 PM by Parabell »

OliPicard

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
Hi Parabell,

Glad to see I'm not the only one experience problems :D I am having the same issues as you have described which points to the web shield. Avast has been notified of this thread so hopefully we can get this fixed soon.  I can see people from Avast are on the forums at the moment so hopefully it wont be long before we get an official notice back from Avast.

Parabell

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »
Thanks, Oli for inviting me to this thread!

Yeah, I am really going nut about this problem...
today I found out that many of my uploads to other of my clients had
not succeeded also - like the Dropbox-problems.

I roused their supports, too, who couldn´t find anything.
Quite ashaming to find out that it seems to be Avast in this cases,
too!

Thanks god I managed today after some disabling-webshield-frozen
Avast,rebooting Computer-tries to deactivate the web shield. So I
can redo the uploads of the last week(s).

Besides that I am not quite happy to "surf the net without condome". :->

Ok, lets wait a little more and hope for the best..

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 06:28:31 PM »
I notified guys responsible and the will look into it. If you gather more information (ideally reproducible by us), we'll be grateful.

OliPicard

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
Hi drake127,

Many Thanks, Would you like a support package/log? I would be happy to email the logs over to you.

wefixit

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 07:56:32 PM »
I notified guys responsible and the will look into it. If you gather more information (ideally reproducible by us), we'll be grateful.

I have the same problem for days now and with many programs that exchange information with the web.

You should be able to reproduce the web shield bug because I can and it has this behaviour every time.

Windows 8 x64 machine
dropbox latest version: 2.6.2
avast version: 2014.9.0.2011
definitions: 140117-0

With all shields active throw some files in dropbox (in my case more than 350 files total size more than 2GB) because I just migrated my files from box for having sync issues there as well...now I'm starting to believe that it is avast that causes all this.

So.. dropbox will try to sync, it will show random/fake/enormous upload speeds, but nothing will be synced.

Then turn off web shield, restart dropbox then everything uploads smoothly with realistic upload speeds reported by dropbox and files appear on the web interface uploaded one by one.

If there is a way to get you guys a log or something go ahead and ask!

OliPicard

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »

I have sent you a support package and screenshots/other logs to try and help. The screenshots show in great depth the issue. If anyone else from AVAST would like a copy of these logs drop me a PM on the forum or post in this thread. Thanks :D

OliPicard

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:09:58 PM »

I have the same problem for days now and with many programs that exchange information with the web.

You should be able to reproduce the web shield bug because I can and it has this behaviour every time.

Windows 8 x64 machine
dropbox latest version: 2.6.2
avast version: 2014.9.0.2011
definitions: 140117-0

With all shields active throw some files in dropbox (in my case more than 350 files total size more than 2GB) because I just migrated my files from box for having sync issues there as well...now I'm starting to believe that it is avast that causes all this.

So.. dropbox will try to sync, it will show random/fake/enormous upload speeds, but nothing will be synced.

Then turn off web shield, restart dropbox then everything uploads smoothly with realistic upload speeds reported by dropbox and files appear on the web interface uploaded one by one.

If there is a way to get you guys a log or something go ahead and ask!

Just out of interest have you noticed this issue only on larger files? Can you Sync small files or is it just all files? I noticed when uploading to websites using HTTP4 and HTML5 that small uploads (less than 10mb) uploaded OK however anything over this amount resulted in Upload issues as described in the original post.