Author Topic: Upload Issues (Web Shield) [Fix inbound]  (Read 41509 times)

OliPicard

Re: Upload Issues (Web Shield)
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »
We were trying hard to optimize the webshield's operations to consume the data as fast as possible that we forgot sometimes too fast is also a problem.

This is clearly a bug and now, when demystified by other fixes inside beta, it's cause is also very clear. We will come up with some solution, even though it's not an easy problem. It's somewhat complicated to persuade the client to slow down.

Thanks. Lukas

Hi Lukas, Many thanks for the prompt response/update. I know this might be a silly question but through i would ask it anyway. Has the web shield team considered using a bandwith controller/throttler that an end user can setup on the AVAST client to prevent the faster scanning from happening?

OliPicard

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
Found something out:

It is Dropbox (trying to synchronize) which causes Avast to
freeze, when I try to deactivate the Web Shield.

When Dropbox synchronization is paused, Avast is able to
deactivate the Webshield without freeze.

But SOMETIMES Avast seems to hinder Dropbox from getting
into "pause synchronization"-mode. In that cases it seems
that Dropbox is freezing (but is not, the task is still active,
only needs minutes to get in pause mode).

If Avast webshield is paused, Dropbox will behave completely
normal and responsive.

They really dont like each other anymore...  :o

Cheers,

Monica
Ive also noticed that an application still being sand-boxed by the web shield can crash the AVAST application even if the application being sand-boxed has been terminated.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »
Just a note about a workaround: you can always switch back to the proxy mode. Go to C:\programdata\avast software\avast directory

Find the WebShield.ini, file and add following lines:

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

Now restart „avast! Antivirus“ service, or reboot.

OliPicard

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »
Just a note about a workaround: you can always switch back to the proxy mode. Go to C:\programdata\avast software\avast directory

Find the WebShield.ini, file and add following lines:

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

Now restart „avast! Antivirus“ service, or reboot.

Hi Lukas, Thanks thought this was integrated into beta 2012? Have herd this bypass helps some but not everyone.

Parabell

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »
Lukor,

as I am not as fit in these technics as you or Oli:

What does that workaround make?

At the moment I disabled the webshield permanently, 'cause nothing
else helped.

Is this workaround a replacement for that?

OliPicard

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »
Lukor,

as I am not as fit in these technics as you or Oli:

What does that workaround make?

At the moment I disabled the webshield permanently, 'cause nothing
else helped.

Is this workaround a replacement for that?

That workaround is an ini file edit. What the ini file changes is the shield's streaming updates back to the old version. Hopefully we can figure out the patch replacement but until then this is work around. I herd the beta version also has this built into the install but will need Lukor to clarify this.

Parabell

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »
Sorry guys, that's finally too high stuff for me.  :-[  ;D

I have the beta installed, do I have to try this ini-change?

P.S. My machine: 8 GB RAM, i5-2320 @ 3.00 GHz,
16000er DSL with 1mbit upstream, Win7 64Bit home Premium edition SP1
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:56:25 PM by Parabell »

wefixit

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 06:40:40 PM »
Follow up:

I was working today with some files on my dropbox folder and intentionally left avast shields activated in order to see what will happen on save etc.

I noticed that when I saved a .psd file and also uploaded 2 .jpg exports (total of 3 files, all together around 8-10MB) they uploaded correctly. At first dropbox did report crazy fast / unreal upload speed also reported by other people here, but after a couple of minutes the files were uploaded correctly...

So I assume that the problem occurs when there are multiple and/or large files thrown into the dropbox folder.

In my case I used only the dropbox windows application and since drake127 asked, my machine has 16GB of RAM, i7 3770K, an SSD and a broadband with around 1mbit upload so it definitely isn't a specs issue here.

I'll also try the .ini workaround now and report back if I have anything new.

EDIT: I tried the .ini but I always get access denied on save. I even tried with all shields off and avast service stopped, still the same. I'm on Win8 Pro x64

EDIT 2: I solved the problem with editing the .ini by opening notepad as administrator FIRST and then opening the .ini file you suggested. Hope it helps someone ;)

EDIT 3: I can confirm that the workaround of the .ini file solved my upload problems for now! thanks lucor!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:03:58 PM by wefixit »

OliPicard

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 06:54:40 PM »
Also having problems with Web Shield. Noticed this time round that re-enabling the shields while uploading to dmcloud and sproutvideo causes the antivirus UI to crash and then upload problems come back as soon as its re-enabled. The Web Shield is throttling/using up the bandwith which has been reserved for uploading files which is causing issues.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 09:19:48 PM »
Guys, about the UseStreamFilter=0 workaround:

1. What you currently get in your avast installations are two separate implementations of WebShield. One, older, but verified, uses proxy on localhost. Second, newer one, which we call Streamfilter uses WFP windows api to filter the connections without the need for proxy server. You can switch between these two by the ini file.

2. Proxy mode is used on windows Xp and Vista, where the wfp api was not present or was not mature enough. On Windows7 and later you get Streamfilter by default.

3. We consider Streamfilter to be better, faster and we generally plan to improve Webshield mainly in the Streamfilter implementation. Being a new code it seems it still needs quite some polishing. The same was true with proxy Webshield, years ago. Sorry for that.

4. Switching to proxy mode should provide you very much the same protection as Streamfilter does. It has its own issues but if you are happy with it you can stay in proxy mode as long as you wish.

5. It is possible we'll add the switch into the troubleshooting section in gui, since basically that's what it is - a troubleshooting. However the default will most probably remain as it is - no intention to turn it off globaly (as some suggested they expected that with the beta)

6. You have to edit the ini file with notepad (as administrator) or disable avast self-defense to be able to.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 09:28:49 PM »
It is possible we'll add the switch into the troubleshooting section in gui, since basically that's what it is - a troubleshooting.

Great idea, imo.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

OliPicard

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »
Thanks for the response Lukor. I understand that sometimes features get pushed out without the right net environment testing, Hopefully we can figure out a way of bridging the gap between the client and cloud version of the client. The troubleshooting method pushes a simple fix however as the shield becomes more complex the requirement of having the system in the cloud will mean updates being done on the fly. The idea for the upload/download cloud manager system came to my mind when looking at digital distribution platforms (it's not the same thing but data does get streamed down the line) The ability to tinker and switch would be a wise move as becoming beta testers for a product that isn't ready isn't good for quality. After using Avast for many years without issues version 9 has been painful when it comes to performance. If it's the buggy web rep plugin that's blocking websites when they are unchecked to be blocked or the new and improved web shield. Avast 9 hasn't been a good step in quality. I really appreciate the support and community help. We want to get this bug fixed as much as you do! At the moment I have been unable to upload video content to my websites for around 4 days without compromising my shields, The traffic rank has decreased and overall things aren't looking good. I have to make a choice soon if i want to be a product tester or use a more stable/reliable product. Hopefully we can get this resolved.

Many Thanks
Oliver

OliPicard

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
Just attempted the INI edit. Will post an update soon.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:32:23 PM by OliPicard »

OliPicard

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »
Ok the INI file doesn't have a general section. Do you want me to add the pasted information above?

I've followed this thread for any updates in relation to the web shield.

Thanks
Oliver

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »
Ok the INI file doesn't have a general section. Do you want me to add the pasted information above?

Yes, please do so.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0