Author Topic: "Blackscreen Syndrome" fix moved or no longer available  (Read 2580 times)

axb993

"Blackscreen Syndrome" fix moved or no longer available
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:02:53 AM »
I'm having a problem with my Windows 8 machine. If I restart it, or if I do a cold boot with "Fast Startup" disabled, after logging in my screen goes completely black. If I move my mouse a cursor appears, and if I press CTRL+ALT+DELETE the Windows security options thingy comes up, but I can't open task manager or anything. I have to wait for about half an hour to see my desktop.

People before me have had this problem ( http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117895.0 ) and their fix was to untick the option "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" in the Behaviour Shield settings. I have read guides showing how to disable this option ( http://www.techglitter.com/2013/06/Black-screen-windows-8-avast.html ), yet I can't find it because I'm using the new avast UI. I know for a fact that avast is causing the problem, as when I disable it restarts work fine. I would really prefer not to have to change to another antivirus, so if any of you know where "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" has been moved to, or what its current equivalent is, please tell me.

Thankyou in advance.

axb993

Re: "Blackscreen Syndrome" fix moved or no longer available
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:35:29 PM »
Bump?

axb993

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:27:55 AM »
Seriously? No-one knows where this option's been moved to?

axb993

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:33:27 AM »
Please? Someone? It's really irritating.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 08:30:01 AM »
I haven't seen that option in the new avast, I don't think it's there anymore.

Why cant you leave fast startup enabled ?

axb993

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:51:26 AM »
Oh thank god, finally. I thought my post was hidden or something.

I can leave it on, I disabled it for testing reasons. Even with it on I still sometimes get the problem. The things is I only usually restart my computer to complete a program update or installation, which requires a proper system reboot, not the half-shutdown thing Fast Startup does. Right now I disable avast every time I have to restart and hope my computer doesn't crash.