Author Topic: Java apps blocked  (Read 20119 times)

CCV

Java apps blocked
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:46:56 AM »
Starting today, so I'd have to think it's the beta's doing.

One I use daily, of late, written in Java but .exe format won't open. No warning or error message.
An older .jar file does work, but a newly downloaded .jar doesn't.
The only message box I get is on a Java web app. It says, "Application Blocked by Security Settings ...Your security settings have blocked a self-signed application from running"

Java itself has been threatening to block 'un-signed'  web apps for a while, but it doesn't look to be the case here.

Any thought?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Java apps blocked
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »
This Application Blocked by Security Settings message sounds/looks more like a browser security setting than avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CCV

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »
I agree it does. But Chrome doesn't have any 'security'settings that I can find, and I haven't changed any browser settings anyway.

Besides, my desktop Java apps are blocked too.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:06:14 PM »
I agree it does. But Chrome doesn't have any 'security'settings that I can find, and I haven't changed any browser settings anyway.

Besides, my desktop Java apps are blocked too.

I don't use Chrome, so I can't really comment on that.

You say JAVA apps are blocked also, again any errors ?
There was something about JAVA in the standard avast version (not the beta specifically), though I thought that had been resolved. I can't recall if disabling the AOS add-on in chrome might allow the JAVA apps to run.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CCV

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 12:51:53 AM »
You say JAVA apps are blocked also, again any errors ?

I can't recall if disabling the AOS add-on in chrome might allow the JAVA apps to run.

No error messages on desktop apps, only on the web app. Disabled AOS, makes no difference.

I did, however, get my desktop apps working. Short story:
HoDoKu.exe (or .jar) saves its native shutdown/launch configuration file in an unusual place - ...username\\Local Settings\Temp - supposedly as a common cross-platform location.
Once I deleted the old config file, HoDoKu launches fine.
Sheepshead.jar doesn't store anything, afaik, and I had no problems with that one

Older versions of avast! have queried this program, but I had no problem in allowing it to run until now.

As far as the web app is concerned, the only thing I can think of trying is a clean install of previous release version and see what happens.
I'll get back to you on that....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 01:14:37 AM »
Good work on the first point, I hope you have the same luck on the second issue.

CCV

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:28:34 AM »
It's a mystery to me.  ???

Rolled back to 2014.9.0.2011. Very clean install - first time I saw the startup scan pop up, iirc, tho it is on by default, afaik - all settings default.
Rolled back Java too, because immediately before I encountered this error I was prompted to update java.

Still the same. Same on FF too, even tho I choose to allow the app to run - and I don't see any security settings which might apply.
I can email the owner of the site; see what he can tell me. Otherwise, no idea...

I'll reinstall the beta to see what happens regarding desktop apps....

CCV

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 05:43:51 AM »
Guess what!  :o ???

Some sort of "coincidence", mayhap?

Desktop Java apps are working fine now.
The only thing I'm not sure about is if the order in which beta install and java update were done in the first place.
I have my doubts it was corrupt config file, because I have saved custom configs elsewhere and they didn't work either - but, do now.

Beside the point, but:
Both times I install this beta, some "unknown error" occurs when attempting to update (Engine and) virus definitions.
Was temporary last time, *maybe* this time too...

CCV

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »
Now I know why I gave up my favourite game - beta testing. It makes my head hurt (don't ask).
The only other recent change to *my* Security Settings I can think of was a Windows Update - KB2914368. Have fun trying to find that on MS Support anywhere.  >:(

I uninstalled the update, for a test. All I get after is my desktop image with no taskbar, start menu or dt icons..
Launch TM *sometimes* resolves this kind of thing, but didn't this time.

Still..
Ran chrome.exe and checked the web java app - still blocked.

Thanks for 'enjoying' this so, so, 'interesting' thread.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
Well I know some windows updates certainly change settings, as recently my system started to throw up the dialogue window 'are you sure you want to run this executable,' or words to that effect and I have had that off for years. But it would be the devils on game trying to track down what update was responsible and how to reverse it.

CCV

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 11:37:47 PM »
In XP it easy enough to uninstall updates. And, which one... It had to be very recent and a "Security" update, if anything in this case, I would've thought.

Some updates, I know, rely on being applied in a particular sequence to work as intended. So I wouldn't go messing with them too much, as a rule.

I have contacted the owner of the site in question (I don't know of any other java web apps atm), and am waiting for reply.

CCV

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 12:50:52 AM »
Finally.. Eureka!  8)

'My' Security Settings, it turns out, refer to security setting in Java Control Panel. I guess 'they' changed something while I wasn't looking - during the latest update.  ::)
Rather than change recommended setting, I added the site to exceptions.
All good now.

Have a nice day, people.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 01:07:31 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and glad that you are now sorted.

I don't like it when programs/updates arbitrarily change default settings without any indication that has happened. Leaves people scratching their heads wondering what the heck is going on and takes a long time to pin down.

CCV

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 02:41:55 AM »
Oh, there was something about updating Control Panel - now I seem to recall.
Nothing specific, or gone too quick to notice, or I wasn't paying attention.
Java 7 update 51, in case anyone might be interested.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
To wrap this all up, the block had nothing to do with avast!. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet