Author Topic: New topic for 2014, but old problem from prev version!  (Read 5431 times)

DeathStalker77

New topic for 2014, but old problem from prev version!
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:04:15 AM »
When an autoscan detects an object, I do NOT have the option to "NO NOTHING" or "IGNORE" - and it should do that by the file HASH, so if it gets moved, it doesn't get flagged again!

WHY WAS THIS REMOVED????

I never received an answer to it with the last version!

This is EXCEEDINGLY annoying, as it deletes files that it should not, then I have to go into the Chest and manually remove them.

WHY is it SO difficult to put these options back?  Just trying to "protect" the average moron?  Fine - HIDE the option for all I care, JUST ALLOW *US* TO MAKE THE DECISION ON WHAT TO DO!!!

What is SO difficult about that????  Previous versions had it.

If you WON'T put it back, you WILL have lost a long-tome customer and several other accounts that I manage - not to mention a downgrade in rating.

IMPO, this is INEXCUSABLE!!!

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
Re: New topic for 2014, but old problem from prev version!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »
In old v4.x era, there was an option called "Ignore" (or maybe "Do nothing", I can't remember correctly).
In v5 or later, this option renamed to "Block".

This means that "Block" and "Ignore" are identical operations in avast!.
Even in v4.x, choosing "Ignore" just blocked the detected file and access was not allowed.

This (not allowing users to have easy way to ignore antivirus) is avast's policy. So, I think this will not be changed.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

DeathStalker77

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
No, previously the "Ignore" & "Do Nothing" did just that, it did *not* block access to the file.

Again, it is MY system, and *I* should be the one who decides on what is done, not the company.

I just thought I'd post it on here, but I have no issues with contacting the company and the executives directly on this.  You don't "dumb down" a program just because there are stupid people out there (then again, that IS why products like bleach & rat poison have to have warning labels to say "do not take internally", lol)

DeathStalker77

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:03:31 AM »
Do Avast personnel even actually READ this forum?  Or is it just "users helping users"?

Because this issue is IRRITATING THE H** out of me, and I am one step away from finding another AV solution - and finding a company that LISTENS!!!

Even in the most current version, it STILL QUARANTINES FILES WITH NO MESSAGES WHATSOEVER!!!

There is simply NO EXCUSE for this and there is NO EXCUSE for Avast not responding to the issue.

I don't care you if make this the "default" behavior for idiots, but there *HAS* to be an advanced method for PROPER notification and action REQUEST.

Avast is fast becoming the new Symantec - bloated, stupid, and worthless.

iroc9555

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:33:40 AM »
I don't care you if make this the "default" behavior for idiots, but there *HAS* to be an advanced method for PROPER notification and action REQUEST.

I never get anything send to the Virus Chest. Did you check your settings ? You can modify them here:

Avast! > Settings > Active proteccion > File System Shield > Click gear icon > Actions. see image

DeathStalker77

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:00:59 AM »
Yes, I have them set for all ASK and Do Nothing - but I *never* get a prompt.  And I have gone through uninstalling/re-installing.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 02:03:30 AM »
Yes, I have them set for all ASK and Do Nothing - but I *never* get a prompt.  And I have gone through uninstalling/re-installing.

That includes the suspicious tab you set to ask, correct?

It's currently on "Virus" - "PUP" - "Suspicious" in tabs.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

DeathStalker77

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 02:16:49 AM »
Yes, it includes all tabs.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 02:23:23 AM »
How does avast detect the file? Is it evo-gen?

Have you entered the file into the global exclusions?

Your best bet would be to create a folder for the files and exclude them in global exclusions (excludes shields and on demand scans)

avast UI > Settings > Antivirus > [scroll down] to exclusions > set them as you wish.

That being said, if you've done a clean install, the actions should work. I'm not sure if the actions work with the evo-gen detections though.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

DeathStalker77

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 02:54:45 AM »
It does it on multiple files and filetypes.

IMPO, there is insufficient testing/QA being done.

Until this can be confirmed as fixed, I've had it, and I'm switching over to BitDefender.  Every review I've read has Avast rated considerably lower than it used to be.

olddog

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 10:03:42 AM »
Until this can be confirmed as fixed, I've had it, and I'm switching over to BitDefender.

And does BitDefender will allow you a 1 click option to ignor a file that has been designated (rightly or wrongly) as infected?

Randissimo

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »

And does BitDefender will allow you a 1 click option to ignor a file that has been designated (rightly or wrongly) as infected?

Many AV-solutions offer that option, it's a basic concept in security instead of turning off real-time protection and/or excluding whole folders for good. (though I don't know anything about BD)

Quote from: DeathStalker77
When an autoscan detects an object, I do NOT have the option to "NO NOTHING" or "IGNORE" - and it should do that by the file HASH, so if it gets moved, it doesn't get flagged again!

WHY WAS THIS REMOVED????

You're not the only one with this question/problem:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=130906.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143341.msg1039816#msg1039816

https://feedback.avast.com/responses/why-is-there-no-option-to-directly-exclude-files-on-demand-from-the-real-time-protection

https://feedback.avast.com/responses/there-is-no-trust-this-file-option-when-found-a-virus

https://feedback.avast.com/responses/it-would-be-nice-to-an-easy-one-right-click-way-of-telling-avast-that-a-questioned-file-is-not-a-threat

Some official wordings as to why Avast doesn't have such an advanced option instead of only because they "prefer to receive the report as false positive to [their] viruslab" would be nice, too.

It won't get them less points in the security-tests if only the default settings are tested which is to quarantine any detected file.
You can make a small link and/or add a timer to automatically move it to chest if you're that concerned for the users with advanced settings.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:47:02 PM by Randissimo »