Author Topic: Can someone recommend a good replacement for Avast?  (Read 23018 times)

Offline Rekrul

Can someone recommend a good replacement for Avast?
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »
As the title says, can someone recommend a good replacement for Avast, now that they've decided to screw over their users?

A couple days ago Avast started complaining that my computer was at risk and insisting that it needed to be updated. I made the stupid decision to let it update. Big mistake.

The number of active shields went from five with the previous version to two, but they'll sell me back the rest of the protection if I buy a dubscription. The new UI is horrible! It looks like something you'd find on a smart phone. Here's a tip: I have a computer! Then I started getting popup ads. I've gotten at least a couple a day since installing this update, probably more when I wasn't actually at the computer. And to top it off, the friggin update installer tried once again to cram Google Chrome down my throat. How many times do I have it make it clear that I will NEVER install that crap on my system???

It's pretty clear that Avast no longer cares about free users, so can someone recommend a good replacement.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Can someone recommend a good replacement for Avast?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
1.  The active shields have been consolidated, there are no extra shields to buy
2.  After the reboot Avast will give the option to either install Chrome or not
3.  How often are you gazing at the UI.  I rarely see mine
4.  Disable the Community   Features under Settings > Appearance
5.  As for a good replacement that is free I can not think of one

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »
The number of active shields went from five with the previous version to two,
http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB89#idt_09

Some real-time shields are missing after upgrade to avast! 2014. Where I can find them in avast! 2014 ?
The number of real-time shields in avast! 2014 is reduced by merging some of them to another. The P2P Shield, IM Shield and Behavior Shield are now a part of the File System Shield, while the Network Shield with Script Shield are a part of the Web Shield.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:02:16 PM »
I would like to address your concerns.

1) All of the previous shields are still there. They have been integrated into three (not two) shields.
    See this for more information.
2) The pop-ups are for vps updates. They are wrongly worded. This is an ongoing issue.
    To "not" see them GUI>Settings>Updates>untick the proper box as shown.
3) To ensure "not" installing Chrome download the install file>then install using caution with each set-up screen.
    I never update through the GUI for this very reason.

As far as a replacement, I refuse to recommend an inferior product.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ripu

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 07:05:32 AM »
As far as a replacement, I refuse to recommend an inferior product.  :)

Why did you say that? There are other free products like Comodo, Panda and Qihoo that scored very well on tests done by AV Test http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/julaug-2013/. And Bitdefender, whose score is among top 3, has a free version that uses the same engine as the commercial version.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:09:04 AM by ripu »

bioxx750

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:23:44 AM »
Why did you say that? There are other free products like Comodo, Panda and Qihoo that scored very well on tests done by AV Test http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/julaug-2013/. And Bitdefender, whose score is among top 3, has a free version that uses the same engine as the commercial version.

This is probably not the right forum to ask for an Avast replacement. The OP tried and got the replies that were to be expected. Avast worshippers often suffer from delusions of grandeur.

I agree with Bitdefender, they've come a long way since the 'disaster versions' a while ago.

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 09:10:29 AM »

The OP tried and got the replies that were to be expected. Avast worshippers often suffer from delusions of grandeur.

The OP's statements were as crass as your own.

He is wrong and makes false statements in his post.

He , and he alone is 100% responsible for what takes place on his system.

Avast have always given detailed information on what is new in each version, and how it will affect users.

The OP falsely states that avast have removed shields and he has to pay to get them back.

The shields are the same in all the versions, free or paid.

The OP should have taken the time to READ about the new version, and decide if it suited his needs.

Fact is, he has blindly updated software, deosn't like the result, has not bothered to read the Help File, Blogs, or the avast team post at the head of the forum.

He uses a FREE software, and then claims avast have " screwed users over" .......... they have not. Nothing has been taken away, and nowhere can you " buy back shields".

The OP needs to take reponsibility for HIS actions and learn to read about the software he is adding to his machine.

Makes no difference which vendor you use, the same applies, it is the operator that put it there.

Diddy

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:51:13 AM »
HI AdrianH let me tell you if you would have not said that stuff in your post I sure would have.  In my opinion  it is nonsense to run down avast free users  and say that avast screws over.   Excuse me if you don't like the free avast uninstall it and move on but don't put down other peoples choices to use avast in the first place.  Nobody is forcing the OP to install the software in the first place everybody has a right to do what they want with their machines and nothing more.

have a good weekend every one.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
Let me explain you something..... take it as a word of advice similar to what Diddy mentioned. Talking from my experience of so many years using many different antivirus software. Don't write down negative things about avast it make other people think negative things about avast and the word will spread all around. It's up to the only user who makes the decisions of/if they like or don't like avast, what antivirus they want to install, and etc etc. If I was you and before installing any antivirus software (make sure your internet is disconnected), I will do many research about antivirus software it's history, what feature they have, user reviews, and etc etc. If you don't like avast just use other program it's all up to your discretion. No one is forcing anybody to install/uninstall Avast.

Even me I have used tons and tons of antivirus software i.e. McAfee, Norton, Panda Cloud Antivirus Free Edition, MSE, AVG, and etc. Only reason I stood and only used Avast and never ever uninstalled Avast and used other antivirus is because I like what Avast Antivirus Free Edition offered me, it's features, protection, and etc. Avast antivirus software program user interface is very simplified, easy to understand, great to get along using it, use less computer resources, and etc. It's only me and my choice only that I stood for Avast and nobody didn't tell me to uninstall Avast and use another one. I liked what Avast offered me and that's it. Even since buying a new desktop computer with Windows 7 SP1 few years ago, I installed AVG Free Edition in that computer and never uninstalled it and used another one, because of the same reason that I explained it about Avast Free Edition.

Every antivirus is different from each other i.e. user interface, quality of the program such as protection, features, and etc etc. Antivirus software doesn't provide 100% protection they sometimes provide false positives. Every year each antivirus program improves it's design and it's features, protection features and etc... you just have to get used to it and learn how to use it ( I know it takes time)...

Any issue(s) or problem(s) you may face such as getting to know how to use it's user interface of Avast and etc. Me and all other Avast users, forum moderators, and Avast team will always try our very best to help one another.

I hope this makes you clear of everything! You and everyone have a nice day.

DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »
I agree with AdrianH.

I am a Free User. I have been for over 5 years and have never been displeased.Avast! has not once asked me to "Buy" Shields or to constantly upgrade.  You will find, and I garuntee you, that the next program you choose will most likely be a lot worse.

As for Chrome... What's the alternative? IE Version !!, the slowest and probably most unsecure browser known? You can always choose not to install it. So the very fact that you complain is quite saddening. If you go to other products, come back and please do explain to me why they are soo much better.

VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

vista

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »
Free (no trial) antivirus
Avira AntiVir Free Edition
AVG Free Edition
Panda Cloud Anti-virus
Microsoft Security Essentials (MS seem to be saying don't use it now?)
DrWeb CureIt! (On-Demand Scanner Only)
Clamwin (On-Demand Scanner Only)
Bit Defender Free Edition (very light, lack of settings)
Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+
Comodo Anti-virus + Firewall
PC Tools Free Anti-virus (discontinued)

I'd use AVG or Avira instead of Avast if I had to. Otherwise pay.

What experiences do you have of the above AV or other free ones?

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 09:09:29 PM »
Avira has good signatures but bad zero day components.
AVG is good but some things get through.
Panda cloud has no self defense as far as i know.
Microsoft security essentials has really really bad detection rates. NOT RECOMMENDED.
Comodo has good protection but some false positives and it asks often if you run something.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

thekochs

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 09:29:29 PM »
Free (no trial) antivirus
Avira AntiVir Free Edition
AVG Free Edition
Panda Cloud Anti-virus
Microsoft Security Essentials (MS seem to be saying don't use it now?)
DrWeb CureIt! (On-Demand Scanner Only)
Clamwin (On-Demand Scanner Only)
Bit Defender Free Edition (very light, lack of settings)
Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+
Comodo Anti-virus + Firewall
PC Tools Free Anti-virus (discontinued)

I'd use AVG or Avira instead of Avast if I had to. Otherwise pay.

What experiences do you have of the above AV or other free ones?

This is an excellent list and good (fair) recommendation.
I can add though I went thru AVG8 to AVG9 where they bricked 1000s of PCs.
AVG9 became a PIG because they too tried to integrate a ton of features like Symantec did and ruined what was once a good Norton product.
After seeing all the Avast9/2014 issues I decided to start reading the forum threads and AVG is still with a lot of warts....frankly I don't trust them with my PC.  I've held off from Avast8 for Avast9 until the code stabilizes.....I think at least once major turn if not two.  Thus, not jumping ship now since Avast8 seems to be OK....in wait and see mode. 

I'd also add that $24 lifetime price to add MalwareBytes Pro to Avast as active protection (since they don't conflict) is a very solid one-two solution.  Nothing is perfect and if you want Free.....and not Avast....go to Avira.  If you want to pay go to BitDefender......but buy once lifetime $24 charge for MBAM Pro.  Frankly, I'd wait out Avast9 for a code turn or two first.....IMHO.

vista

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »
Outpost Free Security Suite
First free full functional Internet Security suite
http://free.agnitum.com/

Another, never seen this in a group test though.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »
The Outpost Free Security Suite is the 7.1.1 version released in 2011, so it is very old and primarily is a hook to purchase the paid versions of Agnitum software (Firewall or Suite).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security