Author Topic: "All or Nothing" VPN on PC?  (Read 6272 times)

Phaux

"All or Nothing" VPN on PC?
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »
Will SecureLine allow me to launch a second browser on a PC and secure that browser's tabs on the VPN?

More specifically, I'm running Firefox on Windows 7. If I open a new browser window, be it spawned from Firefox or even a second browser like IE, can I run only that browser window and its tabs over the SecureLine VPN somehow vs. all open browsers or everything running on my system?

Thanks!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: "All or Nothing" VPN on PC?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:58:28 AM »
No problem.
Secureline protects/encrypts ALL Internet Traffic regardless which Browser or How many being used. :)

Phaux

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 12:04:45 AM »
Thanks for your prompt reply.

I believe you answered my question, but I was hoping for the opposite! That is, I WANT to be able to select a browser or app to be the only tunneled one. For instance, I'm not sure all my required apps for work would function correctly through a VPN, yet at the same time, I'd a like a more secure way than "private browsing" mode to use the web for an occasional personal session.

So, I'm out of luck, eh? Any thoughts on if everything I'm using at work could continue to function normally even if the VPN IP would appear out of network even if I'm physically locally connected, e.g., shared virtual drives and Outlook? i know you can't make a definitive statement.

Thanks!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:37:18 AM »
I can't offer any information based on your purposes as I haven't researched those circumstances.
Good luck. :)

Offline irongod

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:10 PM »
according to my experience with Secureline you cannot do that... it install a virtual adapter that tunnels all the data in and out on all the ports TCP and UDP (like whichever VPN!)...
You take the tarot cards and throw them to the wind!

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 02:46:08 AM »
I'm not sure all my required apps for work would function correctly through a VPN, yet at the same time, I'd a like a more secure way than "private browsing" mode to use the web for an occasional personal session.

Did you consider the Tor browser : https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )