Author Topic: File Protetion Shield Locks up Computer when USB storage inserted  (Read 3381 times)

Reshy

I have no clue why this is occurring now but when I insert my 120 GB external HDD if avast doesn't have file protection disabled it will lock all programs up and put them into 'not responding' unless I either shut down avast or unplug the device.  Do you have any clue how frustrating that is to have to deal with the computer flat out not working when you plug a USB storage device in?  Very.  I disabled the 'Scan when attaching' part of the file protection but that didn't help.

This only occurs with the file shield enabled, the others have no influence on it and I've tested it.  Avast will lock up EVERYTHING.  Internet browsers, windows explorer, task manager, metro features, etc. until it is disabled or the device is removed and that is frustrating as I have VERY IMPORTANT data I need to get on and off the device and this is causing me a lot of problems.

Laptop Specs:

RAM:  16 GB of DDR3 RAM at 798.1 MHz
Processor:  i7-3630QM Ivy Bridge @ 2.4 GHz

P.S.  Why do I have to do a capacha just to post a topic?  I already did a capatcha when I registered, why do I need to be doing more of the trivial malarkey.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: File Protetion Shield Locks up Computer when USB storage inserted
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 01:00:17 PM »
P.S.  Why do I have to do a capacha just to post a topic?  I already did a capatcha when I registered, why do I need to be doing more of the trivial malarkey.   
forum spam protection ..... only first 3 post

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 01:08:53 PM »
Hi,

Disable Avast completely, and then follow the instructions below

> Check USB storage devices / removable drives

Download MCShield from one of the following links:

MyCity -  Official download link
Softpedia - Mirror download link

• Double click MCShield-Setup to install the application.
  • Wait a few seconds to MCShield finish initial scan.
Recommendation to under General and Scanner tab you click on Defaults button to choose recommended options.
  • Connect your USB storage devices to the computer one at a time. Scanning will be done automatically.
When all scanning is done, you need to attach a logreport that MCShield has created.

Start -> All Programs -> MCShield -> Logs

Attach here -> AllScans.txt

Explanation: USB storage devices are all the USB devices that get their own partition letter at connecting to the PC,
e.g. flash drives (thumb/pen drives, USB sticks), external HDDs, MP3/MP4 players, digital cameras,
memory cards (SD cards, Sony Memory Stick, MultiMedia Cards etc.), some mobile phones, some GPS navigation devices etc.
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

Reshy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:14:15 PM »
Here's what it found, all it did was rename the autorun.inf.  However that didn't solve the problem.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:38:32 PM »
Here's what it found, all it did was rename the autorun.inf.  However that didn't solve the problem.
virustotal - filescan 3 weeks old
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1e9ea845dff54817be4c322ef30a4293a65b22b64069e67e793a1a86b7c780cf/analysis/

olddog

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 10:30:58 AM »
virustotal - filescan 3 weeks old
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1e9ea845dff54817be4c322ef30a4293a65b22b64069e67e793a1a86b7c780cf/analysis/

So 2 out of 47 think it had a problem, and specifically Avast didn't, so what conclusion did you expect the OP to draw from your post?

Just curious

Reshy

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
I hate that I have to disable avast any time I want data off that hard drive.  It also says 'data is corrupt' when attempting to read it on XP, if that changes anything.