Author Topic: How to uninstall this pervasive #@! software  (Read 2372 times)

joe5

How to uninstall this pervasive #@! software
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:35:56 AM »
Get this, I decide to uninstall Avast.  lol - what a dreamer I am:

- I clicked the icon in the tray...there's no "quit" or "exit"
- I go to task manager and select "End Process"......"access is denied." WTF?
- I go to Control Panel to uninstall......it's not there
- I went into msconfig and un-clicked it in start-up.....it RE-CLICKED ITSELF.. again wtfo??

This anti-virus program is annoying the #@$% out of me more than any virus ever did.  Is trying to prevent me from exiting/uninstalling supposed to make me like it more?  Or do the yahoos who created it really think I'll give up that easily? 

You can believe I will tell everyone I know about this and let that speak for itself.  Welcome back, AVG.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: How to uninstall this pervasive #@! software
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:08:15 AM »
Try looking in Control Panel/Programs and Features or Uninstall programs depending on what version of windows you have.

Avast is supposed to prohibit you from stoping services otherwise malware could also easily do the same, for future reference if you want to shut down avast you would need to first disable the self protection.

joe5

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:10:16 AM »
As I mentioned initially, I did go to Control Panel.  It's not there.  Yet the processes continue to run (I have them "permanently disabled" but want this program completely gone). 

Thx but no need to worry about the future, once this is gone it's never going back on any machine I own, frankly.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 04:12:24 AM »
You can also use the removal tool http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

Just out of curiosity what was the problem you had with avast that you want to remove it ? maybe we could offer some advice.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:18:06 AM by craigb »