Author Topic: Avast blocking functionality of Faithlife?  (Read 2097 times)

M Tucker

Avast blocking functionality of Faithlife?
« on: January 18, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »

As part of a class requirement I've recently been invited to join a group on Faithlife.com (social media site).  I was able to register, but the functionality of the site was severely restricted.  After a series of e-mails to the group administrator and help desk (with no success), I found a post on one of their forum pages that had a series of posts complaining of many of the same issues I am experiencing.  One of the posts indicated that Faithlife will not work on PCs protected by Avast  :'(  I asked if Faithlife was doing anything to resolve the problem and the response was that typically the necessary enhancement would have to be done by Avast.  I have really grown to greatly appreciate the protection provided by Avast and I hate to have to search out another option.  Does Avast have anything in the works (or is there some work around I can employ) to make it possible for me to have both the Avast protection and the ability to participate on Faithlife?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast blocking functionality of Faithlife?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »
Disable the Avast online security social sites function

M Tucker

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »

Ok ... sorry for the stupid question, but how do I do that?  I opened Avast and couldn't find any setting that specified anything about social media   :-[    I'm clearly not looking in the right place  ... ??? (thanks!)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 11:14:14 PM »
OK if you are using IE then disable the Avast Online Security addon

I do not use Chrome or Firefox so I am not sure how that is done

Use Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab > Manage Addons

M Tucker

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 11:25:04 PM »

Thanks a TON essexboy - I have Firefox, but I located the add-ons ... Does disabling this make my machine vulnerable when on other websites besides faithlife?  Do I need to disable when using faithlife and then re-enable (I assume that's possible?) when browsing other sites/doing research? I'm not a social media user, so faithlife is the only one I will access or need access to ... and although necessary for this class I'm taking, I'm concerned about opening my PC up to vulnerabilities.  Thoughts/suggestions?  Truly appreciate your help!!!  m

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 11:27:41 PM »
Not really this addon has a do not track function and an adpopup blocker.  I myself do not use it as it does not like my windows 8.1 :)

M Tucker

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:36:53 PM »

Way to make my night!  I disabled the add-on and Faithlife appears to have full functionality now.  Cannot thank you enough ... really appreciate you taking the time to help me out ... makes me all the more satisfied with Avast!

Have a great night & weekend Essexboy  ;D

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 11:39:59 PM »
My pleasure :)