Author Topic: Blue police light in tray???  (Read 2316 times)

waldo01

Blue police light in tray???
« on: August 21, 2006, 09:07:12 PM »
I just installed Avast on my home Win 2000 system.  I only use hotmail and yahoo so I do not use any internet mail from my desktop.    For some reason I have all kind of spam-type emails trying to go thru my internet outbound email system.  The Avast globe constantly spins and the police light in always on.   I have checked "deny" to send out the emails and it's in silent mode but it never stops.  What can I do?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Blue police light in tray???
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:45:13 PM »
You seems to be infected by some kind of spammer virus... Maybe you should:

1) Disable System Restore on Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;310405
2) Clean your temporary files.
3) Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot.

and most important:

4) Use a-squared, ewido or Spyware Terminator (trojan removers).

Also, you can see with TCPView from www.sysinternals.com, which program is starting to send mails...

Don't you have a firewall? I mean, a real one, not only the XP SP2 internal one...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Blue police light in tray???
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:59:44 PM »
If you do not want to install TCPView it is most likely that avast will tell you the process that is sending mail - get it to do so by:

Internet Mail Scanner > click Customize > Advanced tab > Check "Timeout for Internet communication(s)" box > OK

avast should give you a popup box telling you the name of the process sending out mail to a server on port 25.