Author Topic: Avast: "We found evidence of Grime on your PC"  (Read 135905 times)

Sparxx

Re: Avast: "We found evidence of Grime on your PC"
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
I'd say that avast's team needs to be very careful now with their choices, they are little by little making choices that aren't received well by the users, and if i'm not mistaken the popularity is gained by user to user recommendation so you know how it stands, the way up is very hard, but to stay there is even harder.
I love avast, i contributed to hundreds if not thousand of installations but as of lately I started to give myself questions regarding some changes/choices they made.

thekochs

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
Call it what you want but it is "installed": http://techdows.com/2013/12/uninstall-avast-grimefighter.html
My suggestion for everyone using any software now-a-days is to do a CUSTOM install. 
If you are not sure of the options presented then CANCEL and go research.
There is just too many behind the scenes "sneak-ware" put on PCs....some of which that may not be a Virus or Malware but impossible to get off once installed.

For me, after reading this forum for months I am still on Avast8.  I went thru the hellish nightmare of AVG8 to AVG9 where they not only bloat-wared the software but actually bricked 1000s of PCs.  Want to be paranoid and concerned.....just do a search on this Forum on the number of aswrvrt.sys PC reboot hang issues which most folks can only go and do a Windows re-install to recover. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145023.0 ....but I digress.

Anyway, my point is for "me" when I do see Avast9/2014 more in a solid state I am going to do a clean-install http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143284.0 with CUSTOM settings and only check the shields....no tools. Then once "installed" I am going to Control Panel>Programs and under Avast "Change" see what other "nuggets" are there than sneaked in an uninstall.

Don't get me wrong, Avast has been a great product and for their "shields" probably so going forward.  But it is clear to me that Avast 9/2014 is a major software re-write and the reason they give "free" versions out is to test their software across the masses.  Everyone does this and part of the fun EULA you accept......but you also have to be diligent these days to realize that when you get a FREE software there is other agendas other than what is cleanest/best for your PC....after all they are in the biz to make money.  People who don't take the time to investigate what they are doing to their PC are naïve......as they say "an ounce or prevention is worth a pound of cure".

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:05:39 PM by thekochs »

noleaf

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 06:01:28 AM »
Is there any way to revert back to version 8 if I'm already running version 9? I've been getting grimefighter popups like 5 times a day and the popups have no checkbox to to stop it from displaying.  Avast is almost turning into adware.  First they started putting an avast clean message ads on the end of outgoing emails without my permission and now I get all these grimefighter ads.  I also sometimes get random freezes on web pages using avast 9 which don't happen when I turn the avast shields off.

Offline AlanHK

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 08:37:17 AM »
Is there any way to revert back to version 8 if I'm already running version 9? I've been getting grimefighter popups like 5 times a day and the popups have no checkbox to to stop it from displaying

You can find and uninstall grimefighter from the Windows Control panel/Add or remove programs.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 08:59:06 AM »
How to Uninstall GrimeFighter from Avast?

http://techdows.com/2013/12/uninstall-avast-grimefighter.html

altavast

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »
These scare tactics are so lame.
Isn't Avast worried about it's credibility and reputation?

dwmtractor

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 03:45:35 PM »
Along with several other users I can confirm that if you go back to change install settings by doing a "Change" from Add/Remove Programs, Grime Fighter *is* checked as "Installed" even if one has not purchased the actual program.  It's true, when the popup is clicked it takes you to a purchase page, but that page is to *activate* the program, not to install it ... so the user above who arrogantly dissed the other posters is in fact wrong.

I suspect that un-activated GrimeFighter is a nagware/bloatware utility and leads to the popups that have been irritating us all.  Having just uninstalled it I won't know for a day or two ...

Avast should be careful ... installing bloatware and using it to convince us that by buying it they'll reduce bloatware is highly-questionable behavior, and if they keep it up it's going to ruin their good name.  I, too, have recommended the program to many users; installed it on quite a few friends' and family's PCs myself ... some have bought the paid version too.  If this stuff continues my recommendations will have to change.

a_caveman

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »
Avast, is it going the way of ZoneAlarm???

I started using ZA, in the early 2000's, it was a sweet program, easy, fast, and simple to use, and.was for years, Then Checkpoint got a hold of it...bloat, bloatier, now BLOATIEST!!!
I recommended ZA to untold thousands, with many doing the paid version.  Now I will not use it, it thinks it knows better than me.

I  do not like being burnt, even years later...

I likewise have recommended Avast to many, many users.

It appears perhaps...someone at Avast has got it in their head that they know better than me about my PC.  A slippery slope, however, low info users will probably welcome it, just like how they click on other PC "clean tool" popups...and what a payload they get!

Back to Avast, and ZA...with Avast 9, the aswrvrt.sys reared its ugly head on my desktop, and now it is a brick...when I get to it I will have to reinstall Windows.

I almost made the same mistake with my laptop...and as soon as the aswrvrt.sys hang appeared I removed ZA, and did a registry restore.  This saved my laptop from becoming a Frisbee!

Whether it is Avast's  fault or ZA's, it is unimportant for now.  But if Avast goes bloatier, I may place the blame on Avast, and post "THAT" far and wide.

AVAST, provide a lean version,
by staying lean and mean
staking out that position,
savvy users will flock to you,
and recommend it to others
Of which many will buy the full version.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
On the web since the early '90's. BB user since the '80's

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »
Along with several other users I can confirm that if you go back to change install settings by doing a "Change" from Add/Remove Programs, Grime Fighter *is* checked as "Installed" even if one has not purchased the actual program.
I get exactly the same results from Add/Remove/Change in my free version.  Obviously there's considerable difference of opinion (and maybe even a touch of dishonesty) as to whether or not grimefighter is actually installed. I'm inclined to agree with whoever suggested that it's probably always installed but requires paid registration to become activated.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Artlover

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 06:10:24 AM »
you are however totally mistaken.

GrimeFighter is an additional purchase , the only way to get this product is to purchase it and then install.

If you go to the avast installer, Grimefighter is listed, if you run " uninstall" the action runs but actually does nothing.

You can prove this by now trying to install GrimeFighter, the action will appear to run and install the product, but, upon systen restart you will find NOTHING.

The product is listed in the GUI but is not installed.
Sorry, but I must join in with everyone else in saying that you are are the one who is mistaken.

If it was not installed, it would not be able to scan your system and determine what problems it can fix and what tweaks it can make. What you are being extorted into paying for is NOT the GrimeFighter application, but to unlock it's repair functionality. A LOT programs play this dirty trick, and it's really sad and pathetic to see Avast doing it.

As far as your claim that running the uninstaller does nothing. If by nothing you mean it stops the GrimeFighter pop ups and removes it from the GUI, then yes, I guess it does 'do nothing'. FYI, reinstalling it returns it to the same operation as before uninstalling in as much as you start getting annoying pop-ups again and have GUI references to it.

Ignoring this garbage of having to uninstall a trial version of something I didn't even want, other issues remain, like the fact scans seem to take even longer now than ever before.

My support and recommendations of Avast may very well be coming to an end. Between their mobile app being updated 2-3 times a month every month, and the PC app getting more fluffy and bloated (4.7 was the last truly decent version). Everything I liked about the program that made me want to use it and recommend it are quickly going away. Makes me want to go back to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Offline Cast

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 06:59:09 PM »
To be fair AVG has its own "tune up" utility and has also advertised it within their own product...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:23:03 PM by Cast »

dsetele

how do I get rid of Grime Fighter?
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 05:44:59 PM »
I installed it - it wouldn't work - call support - they tried to sell me a $119 or $179 service - I have submitted a refund request for Grime Fighter. Also for purchased AVAST Antivirus - Have removed Avast antivirus and installed another antivirus product. when I boot a screen appears with run Grime Fighter or return to Window - very annoying - HOW DO I UNINSTALL GRIME FIGHTER? Thanks, Denny

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
control panel > software > avast > add/remove > change

And next time, please use the search option on this webboard as this has been explained in other threads already.
And do not " hijack" thread, but start your own.

altavast

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 06:12:55 AM »
The question remains, is there a way to get rid of these pathetic scare pop ups?

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »
The question remains, is there a way to get rid of these pathetic scare pop ups?
Follow Eddy's suggestion and get rid of GrimeFighter.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet