Author Topic: Unable to use hardened mode  (Read 4353 times)

nedyr

Unable to use hardened mode
« on: January 05, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »
I have Avast free program version 2014.9.0.2011.  I have been trying to use hardened mode in both aggressive and moderate settings.  In both settings I am unable to set any exclusions whether I try to add them via the pop up or by going into settings and browsing to them.  This makes hardened mode useless as there are too many blocks of legitimate programs.

Has anyone got this working at all and if so, HOW?

nedyr

Re: Unable to use hardened mode
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »
OK have used "repair" Avast and found my exceptions.ini file.  But still unable to set exceptions from pop up in hardened mode - either when set to aggressive or moderate.  Programs which cause it will still not run and exceptions "added" never appear in the exceptions.ini file.  What is going on?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »
avast UI > Settings > Antivirus > [scroll down to exclusions] > Hardened Mode [tab] > [insert exclusions]

Whenever an exclusion is made via pop-up the exclusion would appear there.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

nedyr

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:25:45 PM »
Thanks, but I tried that first before looking for the exceptions.ini following another post.  Nothing the exclusions hardened tab appears after I have "added exception" and I can't add one manually there either by typing in or browsing.  It does not stick and still blocks.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »
If settings don't stick, it's likely a corrupt install...  a clean install to fix that

1. Download Avastclear, Rejzors uninstall tool and the appropriate Avast program edition

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup_online.exe

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Rejzors Uninstall tool: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #4]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear.
4. Run Rejzors Uninstall Utility in Normal Mode (removes traces avastclear doesn't) - reboot.
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

nedyr

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
Thanks may try that when I have more time or when I decide to change to bitdefender which I have been thinking about.

Note other posts also talk about exceptions not sticking which is where I got the advice about the exceptions.ini file from so it seems to be quite a common problem.

John

NoelC

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:09:29 PM »
I had exactly the problem of settings not sticking a few weeks ago, and an uninstall, run of AvastClear, and reinstall corrected the problem.

I would think twice before running a 3rd party cleaner utility myself, no matter how well recommended.

-Noel

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »
What is the exact filename you are trying to exclude?

nedyr

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 10:57:07 PM »
Doesn't make any difference.  It will not exclude any unknown files.  No exclusions stick whether using the pop up or entering the path directly into settings for hardened mode.

nedyr

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »
I have uninstalled Avast and reinstalled using the procedure outlined by Alikhan and I can still not set any exclusions to Hardened Mode.  Pressing "add exclusion" in the pop up puts nothing in the hardened exclusions tab.  Entering it manually into that tab now puts it in but it is not acted on - the program set in the exclusion is still blocked.  Aggressive mode is blocking my screen-saver, for example whilst Moderate mode blocks priprinter that I use to format my printouts.  I have just wasted half an hour and am still in the same position as yesterday.

Anyone got any other ideas as to why exclusions can be set to Hardened Mode effectively making this feature useless?

John

nedyr

Re: Unable to use hardened mode - FIXED
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
Well the issue has been solved by a clean install in the end.  I uninstalled Avast and ran avastclr from Safe Mode.  Rebooted.  Then installed kaspersky internet security 2014 free trial.  Decided I did not like it and did a complete uninstall including kaspersky removal tool.  Rebooted.  Then I installed Avast free again with a new downloaded copy.  Now exclusions work and stick between re-starts.  Must have been caused by a corrupt installation twice!

Anyway, all fine now.

nedyr

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 10:43:57 AM »
No, I was wrong.  Still not fixed.  After turning PC off and on again the exclusions DO NOT STICK.  Makes hardened mode useless.  Have turned it off.