Author Topic: 0 days remaining after system restart  (Read 3201 times)

lonetree

0 days remaining after system restart
« on: January 20, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Dear all,

I would like to know if anyone has encountered this issue like me.

Recently, one PC running Windows 7 Pro 64 bits with Avast Internet Security show services not starting, it then came to my knowledge that the subscription show 0 days remaining, the license is definitely valid as it was purchased with 2 years subscription since 2012 Oct.

What I had tried is to uninstall Avast but after restarting the system, Avast seems to be still installed, however, in program and features (control panel) Avast is nowhere to be found. Therefore, I use avastclear.exe to clean up the installation in safe mode. A system restart was introduced. I then re-install Avast and apply license file, it showed 277 days left, but after restarting the computer, Avast show 0 days remaining again.

I have tried with a lower version, ver 7 could not update definition. Version 8 will turn license file invalid to 0 days again. Ver 9 is needless to explain further.

Can anyone be kind enough to enlighten me as to how to solve this problem as I do not wish to re-install my Windows 7 to "solve" this problem.

A side note, my other PCs are fine with this license file.

Thanks in advanced.

Best Regards,

Lonetree

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: 0 days remaining after system restart
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:50:26 PM »
1) Is the date and time correct on your computer?
2) Try a repair...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot.
3) If that doesn't work a clean install should be done...

Download and save the avast uninstall tool.
Download and save Avast Internet Security
Run uninstaller from above. You will be directed to reboot into safe mode...click "yes". Do this for each version of avast you have ever had.
Reboot.
Install AIS from above.
Reboot and insert license.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

lonetree

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 05:05:44 AM »
Hi Para-Noid,

thanks for the advices. All the above was done before I wrote this post.

Nothing helps.

It will show 277 days remaining when installed but after system reboot, day of remaining license =0 and with a message, your system is unprotected. How strange.

Any other idea to solve this?

Thanks

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »
It seems some cases require multiple reboots.
Try rebooting two or three times.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

lonetree

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »
Thanks para-noid.

I did that too, but it didn't work at all. The only version that will not get this 0 days remaining error is version 7. But that version does not get definition update.

:(

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »
v7 should be getting vps updates.

What other security software do you have now or ever had?
If uninstalled how was it removed?

lonetree

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:35:44 AM »
Para-nod,

no other security software except avast is installed, the computer is new, about 1/2 year old only

when this error occur, I did uninstallation with many combinations.

One of which was in safe mode with awsclear, restarted couple of times and reinstall avast, reboot, insert license file, shows valid license with 277 days left, then reboot again, avast show system unprotected and license subscription left 0 days remaining.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:18:35 PM »