Author Topic: Avast doing bad in the latest AV -Test  (Read 15704 times)

Davy

Re: Avast doing bad in the latest AV -Test
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »
Too much emphasis is taken on these companies? The results should only be used as a guide!

Ask your self, why are the differing results with different companies? It all depends on the method of testing I question how they make their money before their results - who pay's their wages, do you?

If there was really a good AV it would be tops by ALL testing companies, it isn't the case so why not?

I'm diggin' in the barrel now but have you seen this about AV Comparitives I don't know whats in it, http://www.melih.com/2011/11/27/av-comparatives-org-bullying-censorship-and-financial-deals-with-anti-virus-vendors/

You can tell a good AV from it's forum..... one thing I've noticed though all these write ups about AV they don't tell you the FULL story do they they only tell you the 'glossy side'.

So how do they make their money?

Dave

thekochs

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »
And no I'm not going to install a Beta AV
That's your choice but the beta is actually more stable than the current release version imo.

Craigb, wow !......I'll give you kudos for honesty but are you reading what you are pitching.
You are advanced user and understand PCs/Software well......now look at this from the "general" user world that wants to install and have run.  Avast9 IMHO was released WAY too early and the software itself is still on BETA.....just too many critical issues.  This isn't some util software it is what people use to protect their PCs, their data, etc.  It should not have bugs that require people to re-install O/S or break basic features like emails or provide BSOD dumps....should be more stable than that.

I'm still hanging in there with Avast guys and very pleased the "new" BETA (as opposed to the current released "BETA") is better.
Clearly the Avast team is re-writing a lot of the code to address things and they are a very good team.
I can only guess there was internal pressure to release 2014 before it was ready.

I've converted one non-critical W7 64bit PC to Avast9...rest on Avast8.....using it as a "BETA" PC to see/explore any issues.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:20:04 PM by thekochs »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
That's your choice but the beta is actually more stable than the current release version imo.

Craigb, wow !......I'll give you kudos for honesty but are you reading what you are pitching.
You are advanced user and understand PCs/Software well......now look at this from the "general" user world that wants to install and have run.  Avast9 IMHO was released WAY too early and the software itself is still on BETA.....just too many critical issues.  This isn't some util software it is what people use to protect their PCs, their data, etc.  It should not have bugs that require people to re-install O/S or break basic features like emails or provide BSOD dumps....should be more stable than that.

I'm still hanging in there with Avast guys and very pleased the "new" BETA (as opposed to the current released "BETA") is better.
Clearly the Avast team is re-writing a lot of the code to address things and they are a very good team.
I can only guess there was internal pressure to release 2014 before it was ready.

I've converted one non-critical W7 64bit PC to Avast9...rest on Avast8.....using it as a "BETA" PC to see/explore any issues.

It would help if you elaborated on the "issues"....
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »
You are advanced user and understand PCs/Software well......
Actually I'm running what I'm pitching :)

I'm also just a normal user with a bit of common sense and follow instructions well and I believe the beta is stable enough for it to recommended as it has been for many people so far, all software has bugs which can be exaggerated by the huge amount of different system types and configurations that can not possibly be tested on all.

Other than AOS which didn't work well on IE with the 2014.9.0.2011 version I never experienced any other problems neither did any of the other systems I maintain for family and friends yet now all those systems have now also been updated to the new beta they still function faultlessly and the AOS module functions much smoother on all of them which is why I have no problem in recommending users to upgrade.

thekochs

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 04:16:10 PM »

....think the forum posts are doing a good job on that.........

Bottom line is I think everyone has their "comfort" levels with new software releases.....I use BETAs on many other software and firmware efforts.....just not a piece of software that protects my PC.  I didn't jump to Windows 8......and now seems even HP is backing away from that.  Anyway, things are progressing in right direction and Avast Team is addressing issues but "for me" Avast9 was released way too early.
If someone asks I will give them my opinion....just like you guys do.....wait for this new BETA to be released and watch the Forum to see how it works with the "masses".

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »

....think the forum posts are doing a good job on that.........

Bottom line is I think everyone has their "comfort" levels with new software releases.....I use BETAs on many other software and firmware efforts.....just not a piece of software that protects my PC.  I didn't jump to Windows 8......and now seems even HP is backing away from that.  Anyway, things are progressing in right direction and Avast Team is addressing issues but "for me" Avast9 was released way too early.
If someone asks I will give them my opinion....just like you guys do.....wait for this new BETA to be released and watch the Forum to see how it works with the "masses".

The forum is a very small minority of the 200m+ users of avast!.

I'm asking you to name me a bug which affects the FUNCTIONALITY of the program...
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

thekochs

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »
I'm asking you to name me a bug which affects the FUNCTIONALITY of the program...

You are deflecting.........your argument is "200M people are right and the few issues on the Forum are not significant".
I've seen this said before......it's not a solid argument and insults folks....I would stop using it as a deflection/response.
The 200M is a statistic and they are all Avast9 ?.....really show me they are all Avast9....or are they combo of all versions ?
What do you define as "functionality"....you mean the virus protection ?....well sure, Avast9 covers you there.
Of course, if you have to turn off mail shields because yours doesn't work or you have to have user's do INI file updates for Proxy.....or if users can't use offline installer because of issues......or because with GUI installer you need to redo with clean install.....or GrimeFighter who many have tried and borked up their machines.....not to mention tons of posts on post install where systems are locked with driver load where only FRST cleanup of their system or O/S repair install solves.....I can go on and on......just read the Forum (you are a frequent poster)......BUT these aren't "functionality" in the way you are trying to deflect.  However, in "my" world this is indication of risk until things settle out.

"MY" point is that software that is as important and what Avast represents should not have the type/scope of problems. 
Again, this is my opinion.....clearly not yours nor the 200M friends of yours that everything is apparently perfectly fine with.  ::)
However, "MY" point is that there are enough issues for folks to go into this eyes wide open.....clean installs, etc.
It is also good for those folks to know what other software is in a state of non-ROI use...eg, AOS, GrimeFighter.
I am not trying to rain on the parade but the when the product is supposed to be stable and Advanced posters argue that it is....then they ask novice users to go try the BETA then this should be thought out more.  The recommendation is for "BETA" software......by name it means that the "masses" have not seen it...sure is solves issues but what does is break ? ....and if the BETA is the solution to the current then by default the current revision has some progress to be made. 

This is not productive.........and I'd rather not thrash on the subject anymore........ :(
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:14:27 PM by thekochs »

cavehomme2

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 07:10:42 PM »
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/novdec-2013/

This is the first time I see Avast's score this low in the protection, they were always on par with the big sharks

They've taken their eyes off the ball whilst spending time trying  to fix an increasingly buggy software, as well as concentrating too much on pretty interfaces. I have had too many issues with the current version and had to uninstall and use another AV, a European one which I see is amongst the maximum protection scores (100%) in your link above. Avast made some big efforts to be one of the best AVs but recent fall backs are disappointing to see the least.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 07:13:05 PM »
thekochs you seem to be forgetting that many of us have tested the functionality of the beta which is why we can trustingly recommend it, you are also forgetting that no matter how stable a software is it is always in a state of development and so essentially all software is permanently in a beta state.

You can also stop accusing people of deflecting from the argument of recommending the use of the beta as if anyone is deflecting and being negative toward user's trying software that may better their cause then it is you! the whole point of what we do here is help people and quite frankly you are not helping at all, being negative and trying to talk down the benefits of the upgrade is detrimental to the outcome of fixing these issues.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 07:17:42 PM »
cavehomme2 If I were to put any faith in any one singular test it would be AV Comparitives real world tests.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »
thekochs you seem to be forgetting that many of us have tested the functionality of the beta which is why we can trustingly recommend it, you are also forgetting that no matter how stable a software is it is always in a state of development and so essentially all software is permanently in a beta state.

You can also stop accusing people of deflecting from the argument of recommending the use of the beta as if anyone is deflecting and being negative toward user's trying software that may better their cause then it is you! the whole point of what we do here is help people and quite frankly you are not helping at all, being negative and trying to talk down the benefits of the upgrade is detrimental to the outcome of fixing these issues.

I agree, negativity towards a piece of software serves no purpose as I fail to see how it resolves anything. I can guarantee this, I have tested Avast betas and when I feel they are stable enough "for me" I install  on both  OS's and run day to day business,research etc.
If Avast caused me as much problem as I read some are having here, I wouldn't bitch, I'd leave in a heart beat.
But it hasn't and from my experience with this software it is like any other, in that it is growing and will continue to grow as Internet Threats grow and change.
If you are playing a game where the rules change from day to day, I don't believe it is ever possible to be Bug Free as the necessity for change won't allow that illusion.
No problem here with Protection or Program Functionality :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 12:33:32 AM »
I trust in well-known company tests. AV-Test is among of them.
I think the answer of Vlk in Wilders is the correct way to see: it is bad, no excuses, but it's not a trend. Better, knowing the causes allow to put the remedy.
The best things in life are free.

Sa[i]reS

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 01:56:25 PM »
Hm, anybody know, what's wrong with this test results?
It's "Proactive Security Challenge 64".
_
Btw, my AIS with advanced protection in aggressive mode blocks all of this programs.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »
Hm, anybody know, what's wrong with this test results?
It's "Proactive Security Challenge 64".
_
Btw, my AIS with advanced protection in aggressive mode blocks all of this programs.
there is lots of controversy around matousec tests .... you find lots if you google
here is one.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/matousec-personal-firewall-tests-analyzed.htm

also see wilders security forum

Sa[i]reS

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 09:27:26 AM »
Wow, thank you very much.  :)