Author Topic: Avast doing bad in the latest AV -Test  (Read 15702 times)

true indian

Re: Avast doing bad in the latest AV -Test
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »
I trust in well-known company tests. AV-Test is among of them.
I think the answer of Vlk in Wilders is the correct way to see: it is bad, no excuses, but it's not a trend. Better, knowing the causes allow to put the remedy.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2331788#post2331788

Keithj

Re: Avast doing badly in the latest AV -Test
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 02:00:31 PM »
Tests and results vary.  All I know is that Avast catches at least one virus in my incoming mail most days.  I don't know what I did to upset the virus-writers, but they seem to want to send their offerings to me with alarming frequency.   Avast has never failed me.  AVG did well before Avast, until the day it locked up my PC and had to be surgically removed!

I do pay for the "basic" Avast - I'm not quite a freeloader!

I'm getting annoyed at the false positive "Spam!" reports, though. I get several of those a day, all on genuine stuff from bank or credit card etc companies.  I turned spam reporting off, but of course Avast complains about that.

Randissimo

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2014, 01:10:15 AM »
Since the usability test for Avast is showing 0 false warnings and not considering how "usable" Avast compared to other AV solutions in reality is, especially the false positive behavior (evo-gen) and the nested GUI, you know why you shouldn't bother looking at the other results.
I mean, Avast 2014 and usability 6/6? Funny joke. :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:14:54 AM by Randissimo »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »
nested GUI
I mean, Avast 2014 and usability 6/6? Funny joke. :D
Of course, your very personal opinion :)
The best things in life are free.

Randissimo

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
Well, if you're taking a close look at the results, you get the impression that those tests are purely signature based.
Avast's signature updates have been quite stable so far, but they only occur once in one or two days, so you might guess why there is "less protection" and less "fp" when they apparently don't count streaming updates and/or heuristics among the test results.

Also, do you know why Avast protects well in other tests?
Because it also protects from legit software there. :D

Alievitan

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 11:14:05 AM »
Well, if you're taking a close look at the results, you get the impression that those tests are purely signature based.
Avast's signature updates have been quite stable so far, but they only occur once in one or two days, so you might guess why there is "less protection" and less "fp" when they apparently don't count streaming updates and/or heuristics among the test results.

Also, do you know why Avast protects well in other tests?
Because it also protects from legit software there. :D

No, if you read their methodology, it counts everything.  Defaults settings, computer connected to internet at all time for any cloud tech or heuristics, streaming updates.  Throw samples at them through multiple ways, websites, email, etc. 

Randissimo

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »
You can't be serious. Having no false positive in those testings just aren't possible with the default settings unless they restrict the tested software to only general consumer software such as browser, mail-client or multimedia players.