Author Topic: "Infection detected" issue  (Read 3910 times)

MattH1983

"Infection detected" issue
« on: January 22, 2014, 01:13:49 AM »
Hello,

I encountered an issue today. I have a Mac computer. Out of nowhere, Avast! keeps alerting me with an "Infection detected" notice. However, it only pops up on when I am using Firefox. It doesn't appear when using Safari (I'm not a fan of Safari, that is why I'm using Firefox) The message says:

Infection:  JS:Iframe-DHY [Trj]
URL: hxtp://cdn-dccs.com/js_f.php?v=c0005z
File: {gzip}

I have uninstalled Firefox and Avast and re-installed them. That did not work. I've tried updating Avast! as well as running a full scan. I tied running a full scan in safe mode but not able to. I'm not sure what else to do. My computer works fine otherwise, it's just that annoying alert that keeps popping up in red whenever I go to a site (even Google).

I hope someone can help me. I'm not very good with computers. Thanks in advance!

Matt

Offline thepen

Re: "Infection detected" issue
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
I have this issue as well.

What is the next step when "Infection detected!" persists with the same URL?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

REDACTED

Re: "Infection detected" issue
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »
I had this same error showing up for months as well. It drove me nuts. Most of the time it showed on Netflix, but other sites as well. I finally got this to stop.

Months after Avast started telling me about the malicious gzip warning, I started getting random banner adds and audio playing from some random cooking radio show. Not sure if this was a new infection or not. This turned out to be Search Donkey hidden as a different program name. The publisher was something like WebTech LLC. When I went to uninstall this program, it was only then that the unistaller identified this as Search Donkey. This never showed when I ran a full scan with Avast or with Malwarebytes. I did find that my wife had a couple of coupon programs installed. I suspect that is where this whole issue came from. They had been installed for months and just weren't being used. I uninstalled these before Search Donkey and resetting Firefox. If you're getting this warning from Avast, you should lookup the latest removal steps for Search Donkey just to be sure.