Author Topic: Unrecognized programs stuck in memory, don't show up.  (Read 1717 times)

Salabim

Unrecognized programs stuck in memory, don't show up.
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:41:28 PM »
Hi,

Using the latest version of Avast Free (2014.9.0.2013 (140123-1) on Win7, 32bit) i have this problem for some time now, each time I run a program that is quite new and probably not in the Avast database, upon starting the application, I get the busy cursor icon and the program never starts. starting Task Manager, i can see the process is in memory but I can't even brute force it from there because it looks like it is stalled by Avast.

Starting it for a second time pops up the "The Avast is Deep Scanning...." thingy, but once it then starts, weird stuff happens, and opening the Task Manager, i can see the program is now indeed loaded in memory twice (the stalled version and the "deepscanned version") and that's why most programs do weird stuff and might even corrupt themselves (when changing program options and stuff).

After starting it for the second time, and upon normal closing of the application. After that, in Task Manager, i can still see the first (stalled) exact process, unable to brute force close it, only resolution seems like restarting Windows. (Windows cursor stays with the "busy" circle for the whole Windows session until system restart/shutdown) Doesn't look good to me...

The latest app it happened with is here :

http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip     (this is some subtitle editing application, completely harmless)

BTW, due to the cloud, it might be that is now no longer possible for others to replicate the problem, since it might already be whitelisted by Avast cloud.

Please, anyone at Avast willing to look into this (quite severe) bug in the scanning engine ?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:38:15 PM by Salabim »

Zen11t

Re: Unrecognized programs stuck in memory, don't show up.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 10:49:43 PM »
For me it's working fine.

Salabim

Re: Unrecognized programs stuck in memory, don't show up.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »
For me it's working fine.
Thanks for checking Zen11t, it probably is already whitelisted in the cloud.
The program link there is updated quite regularly by the author, perhaps it can get reproduced once a newer testversion is there. :-\