Author Topic: Avast deleted all my filed from all my drives.  (Read 8452 times)

FlavianEduard

Avast deleted all my filed from all my drives.
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
Hi, I'm Flavian.

I downloaded the free version of Avast because I had a problem with a malware/trojan/virus that didn't allow me to use registry editor and also didn't allow me to enable it back, by any means. The virus affected all my drives and system files. BUT the programs I had instaled and all applications were working fine until Avast messed them all up and moved them in a so called "quarantine box" or whatever.
So I thought a Antivirus would fix the problem but the result was exactly the opposite. It moved or deleted all my files from both C: and D:       
(windows being installed on C:) now I can't run any program. It messed from the smallest programs like Winrar to the biggest applications I had installed. I don't even know where to start from with the list of the personal information, applications, engines, programs, data, files avast destroyed. The only things it didn't affect are the system folders, drivers and thank god the internet drivers, connections and browsers.

I googled the problem and it seems the interface of Avast should have a maintance/restore feature, but guess what? I can't find it.
Avast didn't even warn me of the action he will take if I quarantine the so called viruses/errors he found.

What I want to say is that the whole PC worked a lot better before Avast got his hands in to it. And you call that an anti virus?
The data that have been lost is worth a fortune taking in consideration the fact a lawyer and a programmer (me) work on this PC.
All my applications, programs and exe files have been messed up. I tried to get a free data restore software but it didn't work as I expected.

So let me finish this quick, you should implement in avast a feature where it warns you how stupid the program actually is and how it will affect you stored data. The worm I had and guess what? Even after the clean up the worm is still present. So, the worm I had was just messing around with registry editor in a way you can't enable it. But that was all. The worm DID NOT DELETE ALL MY FILES AND APPLICATIONS. AVAST DID.

At this point I'm so pissed of I don't even want to think of what happened.
What I want is a perfect solution to this and I want it ASAP. I don't even want to hear pathetic excuses like "Why you did not backup the data" or "Then it means all the data was corrupt" because the PC was working fine until Avast. Or "You posted in the wrong section" or "Contact out support center" stuff.

I was naive to think that there is any anti virus smart enough to clear that worm I have on the PC that not even total drive format and windows reinstall did not fix. Haha.

So that being said I want to fix the whole data on the PC the same it was before and I want it now, I don't even care what you guys have to do.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast deleted all my filed from all my drives.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:45:50 PM »
If it quarantined all your exe files then you had a file infector..  And the best option if you have one of those is to wipe the drive and start again

FlavianEduard

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:02:13 PM »
I think you don't understand. The issue is not that the worm in present on my drive and I can't remove it. The issue is what Avast did not warn me of the actions he would take, delete half or even more of the files on the hard drive.

I said in the first post, even if the worm is deep in to the drive it never deleted half or even more of the data. Avast did this.
So just take a moment and think what is worst?

I am not even taking in consideration the option to reinstall windows and format the hard drive again.
I don't even want to think of what the consequences will be if the Avast team does not find a fix to this.
I am repeating myself again the applications and programs worked perfectly before Avast quarantined or whatever them.

FlavianEduard

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:10:23 PM »
I found now the virus chest settings. It says that the size of the chest is allowing only 256 MB to store in. Then how did Avast mess all the data?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
what was the malware name avast gave the detected files?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 07:14:56 PM »
When Avast finds a virus you are given the option to delete, quarantine did you get the popup ?  Avast does not delete any system files

FlavianEduard

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
@Pondus Avast did not gave any name. I runned a simple scan and tookm like 20 minutes. After the scan was complete I choose to quarantine the files and maybe that was my big mistake. The number of the so called "infected" files was over 9999 literally no way they could get in those 256 MB virus chest allows normaly.
I say this because I had installed programs like Photoshop, FL Studio 9, 10, 11, Winrar, Deamon Tools and a lot more. And Avast quarantined or moved or deleted some files on each program like exe, dll and office files. It quarantined even word files on the C: and D: that were highly important to me and the persons who use this PC.

@essexboy I got the popup and choose to quarantine them I had no ideea it will mess up so randomly. The files it quarantined were working perfect before. Even if they had errors or viruses they were to small to even notice.
In other words I hoped Avast will quarantine and destroy the worm I have deep in to my hard drive. Not the programs and files I have on the PC. Let's say the worm infected all those files and applications then Avast should have warn me what I am about to quarantine but it did not.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »
With that amount of files I would expect it to be a file infector like Virut or sality

Within the chest it should give the name of the malware detected

If you scroll across on the virus chest you will see the virus column

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 07:30:27 PM »
avast always give a malware name to what it detect...

if you look in avast chest (quarantine) there should be files ...with a malware name

you may attach a screenshot

FlavianEduard

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »
@essexboy How do I find this virus chest and scroll in it?
@Pondus Again, how do I find this chest you mention about.

Let's say it's fine for me to reinstall all the applications and the programs Avast quarantined those are easy to install again.
But how I recover the office, the saved documents and data from each individual progam it deleted? That's my big issue.

I'm sorry if I took an offence position but I'm desperate. I don't even know actually how much that saved data was worth.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 07:36:50 PM »
Open Avast, select the scan page.  A hyperlink at the bottom takes you to the virus chest 

FlavianEduard

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 07:44:16 PM »
Here:

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 07:49:46 PM »
Are you connected to a network ? 

Although it is a worm it also infects exe files.  You can restore files from the chest but they will still be infected

We can try that but you will need to run an external AV via a USB drive

FlavianEduard

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
Yes I am connected to a network it's a simple cable network provided by my internet providers...
So if I want to restore the files I have to run an external what? via a USB drive.
AV? What is that? You mean avast? If it is an exe I have to run do I need to make the flash bootable?

And is the worm similar or the same with brontok?