Author Topic: Virus Definitions - automatic updates:  (Read 12584 times)

Kesetyan

Virus Definitions - automatic updates:
« on: January 24, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »
My system is Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and I am running Avast 2014.9.0.2013

Recently I have noticed that, although the streamed files update regularly, the other virus definitions folder has required manual updating.  To get these updates, I have to visit the Avast virus definitions website as trying to update from the program does nothing.

I run the same version of Avast on an older XP Pro SP3 desktop where the automatic updating appears to be behaving normally.

In moving from version 2014.9.0.2011 to 2014.9.0.2013, on my XP system I first received a notification about the new version and proceeded using the prompts provided.  This did not happen with my Windows 7 system however so I did a completely new installation by running AvastClear first and then installing 2014.9.0.2013.  The reported automatic updating of virus definitions problem on the Windows 7 system occurred with both the 2014.9.0.2011 and 2014.9.0.2013 versions.

Is the behaviour I am experiencing normal or is there a more serious issue that needs addressing?

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Virus Definitions - automatic updates:
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
There was a period where VPS updates didn't happen over 1 day, I don't know if your problem occurred or was worsened by that issue.

Whilst avast 9 with the enhanced streaming updates isn't so reliant on the regular VPS updates they should still happen and are happening on both of my systems (XP Pro and win7).

You also appear to be talking about the program updates also and that is completely different from the VPS updates. Program updates are set to Notify/Ask when an update is available, but Program updates are on an update cycle over a few weeks to spread the load on the update servers. So it is entirely possible to get notification on one system but not the other.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kesetyan

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »
Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.  I guess I was a bit impatient regarding the program update.  Your explanation suggests I would have likely been notified eventually. 

Regarding the VPS updates: the problem I have reported did start some days ago but I have since undertaken a complete fresh installation of Avast and the issue persists.  However, if the streamed updates provide the necessary protection, I am not too worried by the need to manually update virus definitions from the Avast website from time to time.  Naturally though, I am a little disconcerted that some aspects of the program appear not to be working correctly even if there is a get around.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »
What are your Update settings, avastUI > Settings > Update - scroll down to Details and Proxy Settings (see image, click to expand).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kesetyan

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »
Hi David,

Thanks for your continued interest.

My virus definitions are set to update automatically;
Streaming updates is enabled.

My program updates are set to ask when an update is available;
in Details, 'My Computer is permanently connected to the interne't is checked (although I do power down when I stop using it);
Auto update is set to 240 minutes (I see yours is set to 120 minutes so I might reduce mine too);
all three update options are ticked.

The Proxy setting has 'Direct Connection (no proxy)' checked;
type HTTP;
Address is blank;
Port is 8080;
No authentication.

I hope this information may provide you with clues, regards, kes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Do you actually use a proxy to connect to the internet, some ISP and or applications may use them ?
If you don't know if you do use one the likelihood is that you don't.

The type HTTP; Address; Port; and Type - No authentication fields should all be greyed out unless you A) use a proxy and B) have checked the Specify proxy server option.

Are you getting any errors displayed by avast relating to updates on the effected system ?
Failed auto updates should generally result in a toaster style error popup.

If no errors - You could try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

Kesetyan

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »
Hi David,

No, I do not use a proxy to connect to the internet and the items you mention are greyed out.

In version 2014.9.0.2011 I did get occasional notifications, immediately after start-up of the system, that the last update had failed to complete but, since the clean installation of version 2014.9.0.2013, I have not had these errors reported.

I will try the repair of Avast as you suggested.

Thanks again for your continued interest and the time you have given me.  Regards, Kes.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 07:53:46 PM »
   Auto update is set to 240 minutes (I see yours is set to 120 minutes so I might reduce mine too); 
After avast started with stream updates i dont see any need for doing that.....stream updates comes in evry 5min

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
<snip>
In version 2014.9.0.2011 I did get occasional notifications, immediately after start-up of the system, that the last update had failed to complete but, since the clean installation of version 2014.9.0.2013, I have not had these errors reported.

I will try the repair of Avast as you suggested.

Thanks again for your continued interest and the time you have given me.  Regards, Kes.

You're welcome.

For the most part the first indication of an auto update would be right after boot (fairly close) as the auto update check duration would have been exceeded. Depending on what you have running on boot when the auto update check happens, resources could be short or something that avast requires isn't yet running.

If the repair doesn't resolve it, you can try this - 'Load avast! services only after loading other system services' - This is in the avastUI > Settings > Troubleshooting, see image.

Kesetyan

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »
Thanks again David,

After the repair there was considerable activity but this was the streamed updates.  As yet I have noticed no other change.  I have deliberately avoided another manual update direct from the Avast website in order to see if allowing more time will allow the automatic installation of the latest definitions update.  I will leave things for the time being and check again tomorrow so may well be reporting back with some news.

As regards your system resources suggestion, I will not try that just yet because of the slightly increased risks involved but will see what happens tomorrow first.

regards, Kes.

Kesetyan

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 05:16:42 PM »
Hi,

The issue remains but I am not sure about trying 'loading Avast! services only after loading other system resources' to see if that helps.  Avast generates a warning when that option is set.  I have contacted Avast Support and have a ticket but , help through this means in the past has been very slow and spasmodic so I am not confident about any solution from them.  So far they have not provided any solution to an ongoing problem regarding creating an iso file for a rescue cd - they appear as baffled as I am.  As that is not a critical problem, I am not too worried but with the other issues too, one wonders if there are any crucial parts of the software that are not working but their non-functioning has not been apparent.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 06:18:13 PM »
Generally it would through up a warning as this isn't something that you should do of your own back, really only when advised after trying other options to try and resolve the problem. The  'Load avast! services only after loading other system services' isn't waiting on absolutely everything only the Operating system services.

You could also delay the auto-update check taking it further away from boot and higher resource use.
- You need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avast Software\Avast\avast5.ini (XP file location).

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=180 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=180

The figure is seconds and the above equates to three minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 240, 300, etc.

When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

Kesetyan

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:10 PM »
Hi David,

My problem system is not my XP desktop, that is fine.  It is the Windows 7 desktop where Avast is misbehaving.

I've done a search for the files you mention with a view to carrying out the suggested edit but the search finds neither the avast.ini file nor InetWD section. I'm new to Windows 7 and still exploring my way around it and slowly getting used to the differences between it and XP.  Junction Points that look like folders that were accessible in XP but do not have any user access have confused me somewhat but gradually I am getting there.

Anyway, thanks for your input - I'll report back any progress or otherwise later in the week.

Cheers, Kes.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
Hi David,

My problem system is not my XP desktop, that is fine.  It is the Windows 7 desktop where Avast is misbehaving.

I've done a search for the files you mention with a view to carrying out the suggested edit but the search finds neither the avast.ini file nor InetWD section. I'm new to Windows 7 and still exploring my way around it and slowly getting used to the differences between it and XP.  Junction Points that look like folders that were accessible in XP but do not have any user access have confused me somewhat but gradually I am getting there.

Anyway, thanks for your input - I'll report back any progress or otherwise later in the week.

Cheers, Kes.
The file is in a hidden folder so you need to make some changes in the Windows Folder Options:

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
@ Kesetyan

It is the C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\avast5.ini file and location in win7 and later. As you have also found that in win7 the ProgramData and sub-folders are hidden so you need to change windows explorer - Menu item Tools > Folder Options > View > Hidden Files and Folders as in the image Bob posted.