Author Topic: WEBSHIELD Halting YouTube videos (and intermittently stops forum threads)  (Read 2435 times)

clip

This was posted as a reply to another users similar problem in the GENERAL section of the forum but I thought I'd re-copy my reply into here as it seems more apt to the issue.

I'm a new user of AVAST Free and the webshield stops my youtube videos playing after a couple of seconds.
Also the webshield will not allow me to click on a thread link in this very forum!  This does not seem to happen all the time.

If I stop the webshield ALL the problems go away.  Start it again and they all come back.

Win 7 - and latest version of AVAST.
This was a fresh install of AVAST - I properly uninstalled my previous antivirus software. 

I've uninstalled AVAST - then re-installed it - rebooted 3 times - and even after all this all CHROME you-tube videos stall after a few seconds of playing.

If I stop web shield it plays - if I start web shield it doesn't play.  I've played around with un-checking some of the web shield settings but even with them all un-checked I still get the same infuriating problem.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:42:35 AM by clip »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: WEBSHIELD Halting YouTube videos and forum threads
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 12:42:25 AM »
If you are running Windows 7 or above.. try switching back to proxy mode (the way it was in v8)

Hallo, we have discovered an issue in new WebShield implementation. This is probably reason of your problems. We are preparing fix for that.

Meanwhile you can try to switch to old WebShield implementation. To do that, please

Go to C:\programdata\avast software\avast directory

Find the WebShield.ini, file and add following lines:

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

Now restart „avast! Antivirus“ service, or reboot.

Please let us to know if the problem is gone.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

clip

Thank you Alikhan!

Made the change and Bingo! - WebShield is up and all the you tube videos and web sites and links work correctly!

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

I'll post your kind info in the other thread - it may also help the original poster.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Thank you Alikhan!

Made the change and Bingo! - WebShield is up and all the you tube videos and web sites and links work correctly!

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

I'll post your kind info in the other thread - it may also help the original poster.

You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •