Author Topic: WinXP Pro freezes on boot in normal and Safe Mode - stops at aswRvrt.sys...?  (Read 30748 times)

Darkstrike

Update: Ran an Extended (full S.M.A.R.T. scan on the drive in mom's comp from the function in the BIOS...took an hour, but says it passed with no errors...?)

Upon restart, computer felt like booting into Windows normally again, THIS TIME, however, It actually IS running the CHKDSK properly. Will post results once it's complete.

thekochs

I'm hoping that the WMI corruption Essexboy found was it and the OTL fix with reboots finished the process.
Since SMART went well and assuming CHKDSK does too....I'll cross my fingers you are out of the woods. ;)

If so, one last thing to run within Windows Normal just to be sure is System File Check.  Think of it as a CHKDSK for the O/S.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.mspx?mfr=true
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termss/p/sfc-command-system-file-checker.htm
Run command prompt and type SFC /scannow   ....doesn't take terribly long to run....you can run the SFC /verifyonly first to see what comes up.
/scannow = This option instructs sfc to scan all protected operating system files and repair as necessary.
/verifyonly = This sfc command option is the same as /scannow but without repairing.

Assuming all goes well I don't think you have Avast installed.
"If" you decide to do this then make 100% sure you do a clean uninstall/install
How-To: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143284.0
It is up to you but if this was my Mom's PC I'd do a Custom install option from Avast9 and just check the "shields"...none of the tools.
....BUT I'd highly recommend doing a image/backup of the HDD prior.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:08:40 AM by thekochs »

Darkstrike

CHKDSK completed while I was up on the phone, so not sure what it said the results were. However, it restarted and I was once again greeted with:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I tried restarting again, and was greeted with:

"A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart"

Restarted again and was greeted with a normal boot of Windows and the CHKDSK screen that said the "Volume is clean." (Except this time I know the CHKDSK scan actually completed.)

Running an sfc /scannow now...

Darkstrike

Ok, next update...I went to bed last night as I was tired, but left the sfc /scannow complete overnight (computer seems fine for having ru overnight by the way)

The scan completed and it must've found issues because I now have a window that says "Files that are required for Windows to run properly need to be copied to the dll cache. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now."

Except, that when I formatted this computer ~2 years ago....well, I've lost the EXACT same install disk I had used then (I still have a legitimate Windows license key on her machine, just not the legitimate physical disk I used for the install in the first place). However, I do have ANOTHER WinXP Home disk. Upon inserting that, however, I am just given an error that says "The CD that you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive."

Is there a way around this so I can get the files copied...? :(

thekochs

Ok, next update...I went to bed last night as I was tired, but left the sfc /scannow complete overnight (computer seems fine for having ru overnight by the way)

The scan completed and it must've found issues because I now have a window that says "Files that are required for Windows to run properly need to be copied to the dll cache. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now."

Except, that when I formatted this computer ~2 years ago....well, I've lost the EXACT same install disk I had used then (I still have a legitimate Windows license key on her machine, just not the legitimate physical disk I used for the install in the first place). However, I do have ANOTHER WinXP Home disk. Upon inserting that, however, I am just given an error that says "The CD that you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive."

Is there a way around this so I can get the files copied...? :(

You should be able to us another "disc"....but I think it must be the same XP Home => Home, Pro => Pro.....as well as Service pack level.
Since you are able to boot to machine what does it say it is ?
I "think".....perhaps Essexboy can confirm
Some googling on this can help....a lot of stuff out there.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900910

Darkstrike

That's the thing TheKochs, my other disk I'm trying to use IS a WinXP Home SP3 disk, supposedly!

Originally this was a WinXP Home install with a basic disk that I installed SP1, 2 and 3 on as updates...would that be part of it....?

Darkstrike

Update - tried modifying the registry file as per that MS article, but my registry entry for that item already says "%windir%\ServicePackFiles" ...? There's another item under it in the registry labelled just "SourcePath", so I tried changing that to "%windir%\ServicePackFiles" as well, ran the sfc /scannow, and still get the error asking for my CD.

thekochs

That's the thing TheKochs, my other disk I'm trying to use IS a WinXP Home SP3 disk, supposedly!

Originally this was a WinXP Home install with a basic disk that I installed SP1, 2 and 3 on as updates...would that be part of it....?

Here is a link on how to do this without the CD.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=3103.0

thekochs

One other item.....you said this was a desktop and you are clearly getting intermitant boots.
You checked the cabling from the motherboard to the HDD that it is seated OK ?

Darkstrike

Well, honestly, no, I didn't check that cabling as (yes it is a desktop) it has literally been sitting in it's same current location for the last 2 years, and is almost impossible to bump with it's location on this desk, so I couldn't see anything having been knocked loose. I'll check the cabling inside, but I'm 99% sure it's fine.

thekochs

Any chance you have a second HDD attached to the PC ?...internally or via USB during boot ?
Another Avast Forum post pointed to this article and the answer "appears" to be a 2nd HDD....not sure I follow but wanted to throw out.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/329127-aswrvrt-i-cant-boot/page__st__15

Darkstrike

Nope, only one HDD in this machine and one CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.

Darkstrike

Trying the trick for running sfc /scannow without a CD now, will report back. On a possibly positive side, when I restarted after editing that registry file so I could run sfc /scannow without the CD, Windows booted normally on the first try for once...?! :P Not going to hold my breath though...

.....and Windows is still asking for the CD...

Darkstrike

Restarted to try getting sfc /scannow working with another registry change and Windows won't boot, decided to try safe mode.....it's stopping at
aswRvrt.sys again....

What the hell? I ran Rejzor's removal tool to get rid of Avast! I used FRST.exe to remove it from the startup lists....HOW IS IT STILL THERE AGAIN!?!? *sigh* So frustrated right now...I'm just going to have to format the bloody thing...

Darkstrike

Yeah.....I'm just decided I am going to try and format her machine guys, I thank you both so much for trying to help, but clearly something is completely messed up somewhere...I have no idea why parts of Avast are back, I didn't do any other system restores, or "Last Known Good Configs", nor did I reinstall Avast, so why is Avast back...?

Once again thanks for the attempted assistance, but as I'm not the only one having these issues, the Avast Devs are hopefully looking into this...

Cheers and kudos for being so patient!