Author Topic: WinXP Pro freezes on boot in normal and Safe Mode - stops at aswRvrt.sys...?  (Read 30915 times)

thekochs

OK....sorry that it had to go to this point.

Cheers.

Darkstrike

It's ok man, you and Essexboy did the best you could, and I've learned some handy tips and tricks along the way, it's just quite frustrating, haha.

Keep up the good work!

Darkstrike

Hi guys - sorry to bring this thread temporarily back from the dead, but I have another machine (unrelated to Avast) that I am trying to restore to an earlier restore point.....except the machine won't boot. I could download the Reatogo ISO creator, but it requires a bootable legal copy of Windows XP....I don't have any machines running XP other than this one I am repairing that won't boot, so that is out of the question...

I hate to ask questions here about something not Avast related.....but....as this WinXP machine won't boot and you guys had shown me how to do a System Restore using restore points and FSRT on a WinVista system that wouldn't boot, could you possibly direct me to where I can get an already-generated ReatogoXPE ISO again so I can try the same trick on this XP machine....?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:23:58 AM by Darkstrike »

thekochs

Hi guys - sorry to bring this thread temporarily back from the dead, but I have another machine (unrelated to Avast) that I am trying to restore to an earlier restore point.....except the machine won't boot. I could download the Reatogo ISO creator, but it requires a bootable legal copy of Windows XP....I don't have any machines running XP other than this one I am repairing that won't boot, so that is out of the question...

I hate to ask questions here about something not Avast related.....but....as this WinXP machine won't boot and you guys had shown me how to do a System Restore using restore points and FSRT on a WinVista system that wouldn't boot, could you possibly direct me to where I can get an already-generated ReatogoXPE ISO again so I can try the same trick on this XP machine....?

What is happening when you power the PC up ?
Can you boot into Safe Mode ?  If so: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
I thought in the thread you mention you have a WinXP CD ?.......if so, a fall back is with XP you can do a repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Also, you have the Farbar Tool still ? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/
....obviously, idea is to get to command prompt to run FSRT from USB stick and get log that will show restore points.
Go to this thread and read Essexboy's post/how-to on Rufus/ISO/FRST: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=131070.0
....once you get a FRST log and attach Essexboy will have to help.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:31:21 AM by thekochs »

Darkstrike

I have a WinXP RECOVERY CD that I had downloaded somewhere, it doesn't have any of the WinXP files, only enough to run the Recovery Console and it's related functions.

On boot into WinXP, it was getting so far and then simply restarting into a reboot loop. On Safe Mode boot, it was doing the same thing...referencing an issue with "windows logon" if I disabled auto-restart on BSOD. I remembered a friend had a WinXP netbook with no CD-ROM drive, but I was able to copy the files from the System32 folder on his WinXP Home SP3 netbook and paste them into the WinXP Home SP3 machine that isn't booting using a Linux Live CD (a pretty screwy and definitely not tech-recommended fix, I know...). BUT, I can now boot it into Safe Mode, but ONLY "Safe Mode" (as in if I try to boot it into "Safe Mode with Networking", or just a normal boot, it now freezes at the little loading bar and won't go any further....better than repeated restarts I guess). I tried disabling some listed network drivers for a wireless USB adapter and some other stuff listed in the Device Manager in case they were what was preventing "Safe Mode With Networking" from working when "Safe Mode" works fine (I did leave the on-board ethernet card's drivers enabled, and even updated them, but it will still freeze on boot to "Safe Mode With Networking" or on normal boot.)

Yes, I do still have FRST - running a scan with that now, but I don't mean for you folks to try and help me as I know these are the Avast forums and this machine doesn't have any issues caused by Avast (it doesn't even have Avast on it!), so I feel guilty! :-[

I just thought I'd pop back and ask you where I could get that WinXPE Recovery disk with the limited WinXP Live install again as I lost the ISO for it. :P

Logs attached if you didn't mind looking at them!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 04:48:04 AM by Darkstrike »

Darkstrike

A quick note to answer your question to me having a WinXP CD - I also have a WinXP PROFESSIONAL CD (no Service packs) aside from that "Recovery Console Only" WinXP CD, but the computer I am dealing with atm has WinXP Home SP3 on it.

thekochs

Essexboy will have to comment on where the XP limited live ISO is...I'm not sure.
BUT....if you can boot into Safe Mode with command prompt why not try this ?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
How to start System Restore by using the Command prompt in XP
1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a Command prompt.
2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.

If going to a restore point does not work then go get the XP Home SP3 ISO via uTorrent: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/26911-The-Windows-XP-Repository
....and then do a repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:48:12 PM by thekochs »

Darkstrike

I did manage to get a System Restore done via Safe Mode as I now have it consistently booting into Safe Mode no problem (but not Safe Mode With Networking). The System Restore was successful, but it didn't solve my "Windows won't boot in normal mode" issue.

As for a Repair Install - that's the one where all the system files are properly replaced, but it means I have to reinstall whatever programs are installed, right...?

thekochs

As for a Repair Install - that's the one where all the system files are properly replaced, but it means I have to reinstall whatever programs are installed, right...?

No, a repair install re-installs the O/S over itself.....everything else is left intact.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.
In Vista, W7, etc. you have to be within Normal Windows to do this "repair" install....which they call a in-place upgrade.
To me this is going backwards.....because XP allows you to do this from the O/S CD.....you can't with Vista/W7/etc.

If you did a restore point and no luck then this would be my next step....but make 100% sure you've backed up all "data" files to USB HDD to make sure.
XP Repair install
1.Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive.
2.When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen,  you will see the options below     
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:
    To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3.Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. 
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install, press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press  R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press  R".
4.Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5.Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6.Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.  Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

As shown above to get a XP Home SP3 ISO via uTorrent: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/26911-The-Windows-XP-Repository
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:40:42 PM by thekochs »

Darkstrike

Repair Install was successful....

HOWEVER....now I have a problem. Apparently the XP CD you linked me to is a Retail CD...as the machine in question is a Cicero, when I try to enter the owner's legitimate CD key, I simply get an error saying "This CD Key Is Invalid...." I finished the install without registering a CD key as it wouldn't accept the real OEM one with the Retail install....

Is there any way I can get it to accept his key...? :( As I said, the key IS 100% legal...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:54:42 PM by Darkstrike »

thekochs

Re: WinXP Pro freezes on boot in normal and Safe Mode - stops at aswRvrt.sys...?
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2014, 01:03:16 AM »
Repair Install was successful....

HOWEVER....now I have a problem. Apparently the XP CD you linked me to is a Retail CD...as the machine in question is a Cicero, when I try to enter the owner's legitimate CD key, I simply get an error saying "This CD Key Is Invalid...." I finished the install without registering a CD key as it wouldn't accept the real OEM one with the Retail install....

Is there any way I can get it to accept his key...? :( As I said, the key IS 100% legal...

If you are trying to put the OEM key in not sure that is valid "key".....is there a Windows sticker on the machine that has the original key ?
See what shows in the registry by using the free version of JellyBean: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
If this does not work you may have to re-activate by phone.
Here is long thread but I'd trying activating over the phone with a Microsoft Rep....tell them you did a repair install and give them your old key....they should be able to help.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/osproductkeys/ss/change-windows-xp-product-key.htm
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:07:27 AM by thekochs »

Darkstrike

Re: WinXP Pro freezes on boot in normal and Safe Mode - stops at aswRvrt.sys...?
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2014, 01:06:57 AM »
Ok, managed to boot into safe mode and use a Run command to do the 30-day Activation trial, so now I can FINALLY boot into normal mode....there is an OEM key from the manufacturer on a sticker on the side of the case, that is the key I had tried to use, as I know it's legitimate. However, the ISO for WinXP Home SP3 you linked was apparently a Retail copy, so it wouldn't (during install) accept the OEM key from the side of the case....HOWEVER.....using Speccy, I checked the key that is currently supposedly entered into the system and it is a completely different key from the one on the side of the case :S

Tried to run the MSOOBE tool to see if Windows is already somehow reactivated with this other key and it did nothing whatsoever...

Google Search shows that an un-updated Internet Explorer version CAN cause this, so currently updating the installed IE version on the machine from IE6 to IE8....will see if MSOOBE will run after that...

thekochs

Darkstrike

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2014, 01:15:02 AM »
Nope, I was only trying to run MSOOBE as I know from past experience that is the Windows Activation program and before I used Safe Mode to do the 30-day activation timer, Windows was asking me to Activate before it would let me log on to either account on the machine.

Now that the 30-day timer LETS me log on, I want to run MSOOBE to finish actually registering with my legitimate key or to see if it is somehow still activated already...?

thekochs

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2014, 01:20:43 AM »
Nope, I was only trying to run MSOOBE as I know from past experience that is the Windows Activation program and before I used Safe Mode to do the 30-day activation timer, Windows was asking me to Activate before it would let me log on to either account on the machine.

Now that the 30-day timer LETS me log on, I want to run MSOOBE to finish actually registering with my legitimate key or to see if it is somehow still activated already...?

Ok....let me know how it goes..........a lot of avenues here......last one being truly calling MS and giving them your code and they help activate.  Glad the system is repaired and this last step it not a biggie to get fixed.