Author Topic: limited account  (Read 3844 times)

zzamzzon

limited account
« on: June 23, 2005, 10:43:02 PM »
Hi

I'm looking for a new antivirus prog. so I installed the free 60 day version of avast 4.6 pro. Works fine as long as I'm logged in under full admin profile, but zero protection under a limited account???? Tells me no license key is installed.

Help?
zzamzzon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: limited account
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 11:28:26 PM »
I believe you need to have installed it as 'The Administrator' not just and account with admin privileges. I would suggest an uninstall reboot and install as the administrator, unfortunately if you uninstall the pro trial and reinstall it there is a check made.

This is an anti-piracy/hacking check to avoid people uninstalling rebooting and installing again after the trial period ends. There is also (I believe) and assumption made that if you uninstall the trial version you have completed the trial, so it may limit further use to 7 days?

Hopefully one of the Alwil team may be able to offer some further advice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Skram0

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 02:16:22 AM »
Does your limited account have the rights to even run it? Might want to check which rights/permissions your account does have. Can you get it to work if you temporarily give your limited account admin rights? If not, then maybe you need to reinstall it while logged in to the limited account with admin rights, then just remove the rights when you're done installing. I use Avast on a limited account with only 'Poweruser' rights, and it works fine. Not sure though how it would work if I only used 'User' rights.

zzamzzon

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 11:22:26 PM »
Hi. Thanks for the info. I did install it as an admin and it works fine under that account.
Call me paranoid but I spend quite a bit of time on the web, play some online games etc. using a plain "user" account. I've had Norton, Mcafee, and AVG installed in the past....no problems running under a user account with any of them. What makes this software so special?

ZZamZZon

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 11:53:23 PM »
avast! should work under limited account. However, it has to be installed under Administrator account, and the license key should be entered under Administrator account as well.

You may also want to check the access rights to the avast! installation folder - the limited account should have rights to read the files, of course.