Author Topic: Avast Free v8.0.1489 - What are the Settings to Stop Blocking of Outgoing Gmail  (Read 2805 times)

philmitchell

Avast Free v8.0.1489
Environment: Windoze 8 64bit  HP i7 laptop

Hello
I have a local program which runs periodically and uses my gmail smtp to send me emails. Avast is blocking the smtp connection. When I turn off the mail shield the gmail sender works OK. I need to know what settings should be changed to allow the program to work but still protect the PC. In my Avast Settings | Troubleshooting, for SMTP Ports,  the following ports are listed: 25, 587, 465. For ignored addresses, I have smtp.gmail.com. And the Ignore Local Communication checkbox is checked. On the MailShield Main Settings page, all 3 boxes are checked. On the SSL Scanning tab, Scan SSL Connections is checked.

Please advise as to which of these settings need to be changed and if the change puts me at risk.

Thanks,
Phil

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I have a local program which runs periodically and uses my gmail smtp to send me emails.
what program?
what error messages do you get?

does this help?
http://www.avast.com/en-no/faq.php?article=AVKB91#artTitle

Please advise as to which of these settings need to be changed and if the change puts me at risk.
google protect all mail accounts (in/out) with postini spam/virus filter using two AV engines from Authentium and McAfee

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:58:36 PM by Pondus »

Corsari

Hello
I'm in the same situation as user philmitchell

I have cobian backup that when finishes its scheduled tasks it is instructed to use a command line interface exe that sends emails, the program is sendEmail.exe

sendEmail is available with and without TLS, with gmail you must use the TLS version,

so in my widnows 7 x64, I have sendEmail.exe the TLS version

next sendEmail.exe is setup to use my gmail account to send me the emails.

If I suspend avast protection, the emails are sent fine.

So avast is blocking something

How to add an Avast exception to let either/both cobian and or sendEmail to send me the emails?

Otherwise the solution will be to remove avast, please note that I do use the avas free version

Thank you
Cor
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:07:59 PM by Corsari »