Author Topic: New Features for BART 2.0 [WISHLIST]  (Read 96744 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
New Features for BART 2.0 [WISHLIST]
« on: October 12, 2003, 10:14:47 AM »
Following is the list of new features to be included in BART2. Please feel free to give us comments and/or suggestions of what you'd like to see there. Also, we'd be interested in what's your concept of an optimal BART CD Shell?

Thanks!

• Event viewer of on-disk event logs (useful for finding out what went wrong)
• Registry cleaner
• "Services & Drivers" applet - for easier setting of service and driver options (basically a sophisticated reg editor add-on)
• Data Shredder - to reliably remove files and/or whole partitions from the disk. Useful e.g. when putting servers with confidential data away.
• Disk cleaner (Junk file remover)
• Virus scanning of all external apps being executed (to prevent the BART CD OS itself from becoming infected)
• New features in cmd.exe - especially support for findstr and fc.
• Network: ability to specify a fixed IP address (not just via DHCP)
• Revamped BART CD Shell

and maybe

• Utility for partition editing (ala fdisk or even PartitionMagic).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 01:02:01 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:New Features for BART 2.0 [WISHLIST]
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 11:37:54 AM »
Don't know if it falls under Registry Cleaner or Registry Editor, but some kind of "Fix common associations" button would be nice to quickly repair invalid exe/com/... associations - left after a worm has been deleted only.
I know I've already suggested it - I'm posting just not to forget about it :)

And while we're at the Registry Editor - simulating HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet alias may be useful as well.

ZombieKIL

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 08:55:55 PM »
Disk Imaging software or a way to add ghost32 or Deploy32

it would a complete recovery system then!! :)

iNsuRRecTiON

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 02:45:54 PM »
Hi there,

one suggestion, ability to import .reg files, so that you can import a backup of a registry key or hive.

I have the problem, that I had backup an registry hive and now I can't import them when windows xp is running. An error message says that the import process can't be completed because of write permission or access denied :( (in use or so..)
So it's cool, when you can implement an import feature of reg files.

Another suggestion is that, I can use the BART tools with Barts PE Builder from this webpage: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder
This builder can produce such a boot cd, when your are owning a copy of windows xp or above. So non-profit persons or groups have the ability to use your BART tools with low costs or for free (personal use), because no Windows OS license or something like that are included..

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

iNsuRRecTiON

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 08:31:00 PM »
...and of course a search function for the registry editor..thx!

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

(PS: I will join the betatest of BART 2.0 ^^)

nicky

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 11:41:29 AM »
a partion manager like partition magic
please  ;D
good staf

ctskerry

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 09:28:55 PM »
• Event viewer of on-disk event logs (useful for finding out what went wrong)
• Registry cleaner
• "Services & Drivers" applet - for easier setting of service and driver options (basically a sophisticated reg editor add-on)
• Data Shredder - to reliably remove files and/or whole partitions from the disk. Useful e.g. when putting servers with confidential data away.
• Disk cleaner (Junk file remover)
• Virus scanning of all external apps being executed (to prevent the BART CD OS itself from becoming infected)
• New features in cmd.exe - especially support for findstr and fc.
• Network: ability to specify a fixed IP address (not just via DHCP)
• Revamped BART CD Shell

Sounds good, anychance you guys can add something like Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel app or Windows Startup Inspector to BART?  It would be really handy to disable most starting apps when you're trying to clean up a system heavily infested with spyware and the like.

Kerry

mayakovski

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 12:03:45 AM »
You want to make BART really rock my world???

Let me use Servant Salamander to burn my data to CD.  

That would be the ultimate in a recovery and Disaster CD.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 07:47:59 AM »

That would be the ultimate in a recovery and Disaster CD

I don't quite understand... You mean the capability of adding custom files to the CD? Or what does it have to do with the Servant Salamander?

Thanks
Vlk

w0mbat

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 02:15:37 PM »
I have to agree that having the ability to burn files from the HDD from within the BART shell would be nice. Catering for all the different brands/models of burners would be hard. And then some would be wanting DVD burners supported too...and external USB drives.

Maybe support for USB Thumb-drives? Every tech should have one of those in their case. If more than ~500M needs backing up one's best off doing it to a seperate HDD.

A version of HiJackthis would be good.
As would a good spyware remover (ad-aware - spysweaper or such)
Something to detect keyloggers.

Of course putting commercial licences into BART puts the price up more, so freeware versions could be concidered?

Makes a challange to keep all that updated with the BART updates :/

Happy to beta test the Version2 to please.

Cheers

w0mbat

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 03:22:35 PM »
Maybe support for USB Thumb-drives? Every tech should have one of those in their case. If more than ~500M needs backing up one's best off doing it to a seperate HDD.

There is support for it (and it really works). It's just not plug'n'play -- you need to have the device attached at the time BART boots...

Of course putting commercial licences into BART puts the price up more, so freeware versions could be concidered?

Unfortunately this is not possible due to limitations posed by the agreement we have with MS.

I have to agree that having the ability to burn files from the HDD from within the BART shell would be nice.

Support for this *will* be in BART 2 - although indirect, you'll have to buy an extra piece of software from a 3rd party (worth $29).

As would a good spyware remover (ad-aware - spysweaper or such)
Something to detect keyloggers.

Well, yeah, your right... Maybe we'll make something ourselves -- it would be a nice thing to complement the avast! antivirus product, too...

Thanks
Vlk

w0mbat

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 04:37:18 PM »
Well there you go. I should have plugged it in before boot  :o

Maybe we'll make something ourselves -- it would be a nice thing to complement the avast! antivirus product, too...
This regarding a spyware cleaner or Keylogger detector?

Next wish.....
If there is room on the image file, in the BART CD Manager give the option for a path to a dir the local HDD that will be created into the BART disk? EG  "select path for dir to be copied" -> c:\toolkit
Then the dir toolkit (with all the files in toolkit) will end up in the BART CD image?
Maybe that could get around the M$ agreement?

Cheers

w0mbat

mayakovski

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 07:24:42 PM »

That would be the ultimate in a recovery and Disaster CD

I don't quite understand... You mean the capability of adding custom files to the CD? Or what does it have to do with the Servant Salamander?

Thanks
Vlk

What I meant is from the Servant Salamander interface I would like to be able to drag and drop files to a cd or dvd  burner.
Also like w0mabt mentioned the ability to install the BART toolkit to the hard drive, then if you only have on optical drive (burner) you could still burn to cd or dvd.

mayakovski

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 07:26:32 PM »
Any idea when version 2 might be available?

Also how about the ability to run the sfc.exe (system file checker)?  THis wopuld make fixing systems much easier.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 01:19:26 AM »
it would be a nice thing to complement the avast! antivirus product, too...
oooooo I would buy that for sure!  :D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay