Author Topic: New Features for BART 2.0 [WISHLIST]  (Read 96740 times)

w0mbat

Re:New Features for BART 2.0 [WISHLIST]
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 10:04:57 AM »
Still wishing for a startup modifier that will allow control over installed applictions from starting.

--Steve

Cbruyland

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004, 09:55:40 AM »
Feature Request:

- The ability to download virus definitions from the internet to a ram drive, so I don't have to burn a new CD(-RW) of BART.

- Possibility of creating custom add-ons

iNsuRRecTiON

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 08:24:15 PM »
Hi,

I think it is too late, because the final Beta v2 is out...,
but here my suggestions:

-A data wiping tool/data shredder is integrated and very useful utilities, but the Bootable Antivirus and Recovery Tool CD don't have a Recovery Software included.
Please integrate a File Recovery Tool, like FileRecovery Pro 3.2 from LCTechnology, ZeroAssumptionRecovery, GetDataBack from Runtime or Easy Recovery File Repair Professional from Ontrack, so that you can recover files from your PC with the BART CD..

-An unformat or partition explorer tool would be also cool. So that you can unformat an formated partition on your PC and that you can explore a damaged partition and save files from that partition to another..

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

w0mbat

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2004, 05:04:47 AM »
Please integrate a File Recovery Tool,

The problem with this would be that you must have a second HDD to move the recovered files to.
Assuming that most computers only have 1 HDD, it would make this feature unusable in that situation.

We use a dedicated machine with caddy trays for when we need to do data recovery with the required software.

Nice idea though......

--Steve

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 05:07:20 AM »
Please integrate a File Recovery Tool,

The problem with this would be that you must have a second HDD to move the recovered files to.

Won't be a second partition enough in this case?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

w0mbat

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2004, 05:25:30 AM »
Hi T,

Won't be a second partition enough in this case?  

If there is only 1 HDD with 1 partition (which is standard in most systems) and you need to recover data, the only option worth looking at is putting the drive into another machine as a non-booting slave.

If the object is to recover a file or many, you can not risk writting any data to that HDD.
If you try to add a second partition, file tables may be re-written and the file you may have needed to recover may be where the new second partition has gone.

BART is a great tool and I use it almost every day in one form or another, but I would hate to see it try to re-invent the wheel and try to be all things to all people.
It's core power is the ability to access a HDD cleanly and hopefully get the system booting again so that we can then use other tools if required to do specific repairs to the system.

Just the way I see it.....  ;)

** runs away and waits to be flamed **

--Steve

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2004, 05:40:14 AM »
If you try to add a second partition...

So, if the second partition exists since from the beginning it will be useful, won't it?
I mean, that feature could be useful if the HDD have a second partition before it get corrupted... Of course, I'm thinking just one partition is bad, not both (or more)  8)

w0mbat

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2004, 06:13:26 AM »
It could be, though I would not personally ever trust it as it's a logical partition. As in a software barrier.  For example it makes sectors 1-101 Drive 1 and sectors 102-200 drive 2.

Again though this is assuming a partition of enough size already exisits before the problem occurs and this is rarely the situation outside of us geeks who play with these things.   ;D

I would say 90% of systems arrive on the desk of the user with 1 HDD in 1 large partition. This is an even higher percanage when dealing with bussinesses.
It's amazing how most places never even consider that they may one day loose data. And how reluctant they are to spend $$ on minimising the data losses.

I still hold out for a 'startup modifier' on BART, but am glad later OS can run CD's in safe mode which gives the ability to install some apps and security patches without starting all the nasties.

cheers

--steve

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2004, 11:55:08 AM »
BTW an undelete software (possibly unformat/recovery as well) is currently under development.

It's likely it will be added to BART 2.x soon.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

w0mbat

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2004, 07:09:58 PM »
**w0mbat heads back to his hole**

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2004, 07:26:38 PM »
Night night... ;) ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2004, 09:01:47 PM »
BTW an undelete software (possibly unformat/recovery as well) is currently under development. It's likely it will be added to BART 2.x soon. Cheers Vlk

Vlk, how would it be? Like GoBack (from Symantec) of just a recovery tool for deleted files?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2004, 09:06:39 PM »
I think it is gonna be more like the options Handy Recovery is offering.

Personally I think it is a good choice to add something like that. After all it is not just a cd to scan, but a lot more and recovering delete files fits in perfectly in the purpose of the BART cd.

iNsuRRecTiON

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2004, 11:50:16 PM »
Hi,

ok, if about 90 % pc systems have only 1 HDD and one partition then ALWIL should integrate the ability to burn a CD(RW) or DVD(RW) in Windows PE, so you can burn your recovered files..
Or simply copy/recover the files to an portable device for example USB Data Stick/Device or something else..

Btw. the most persons and pc systems I know, have a min. of 2 partitions on the first hdd..

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

ssummit

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 02:19:07 AM »
When I was working with the original B.A.R.T., if I attached an external USB hard drive to the PC before booting into B.A.R.T., I could copy, via Servant Salamander, any file onto the USB hard drive.  Alwil had informed me that the XP version that they use on B.A.R.T., just like the full version of XP, has a built-in USB driver.  (I used this to backup data files prior to reinstalling XP onto reformated and re-fdisked crashed hard drive.)