Author Topic: New Features for BART 2.0 [WISHLIST]  (Read 96739 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:New Features for BART 2.0 [WISHLIST]
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2004, 09:21:06 AM »
ssummit, that is correct. The only limitation is that the OS is not plug-n-play compatible, meaning that the device has to be attached before the boot starts.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

xr600rr

Re:New Features for BART 2.0 [WISHLIST]
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2004, 02:17:56 PM »
I would like to see more Spyware Def's included.

iNsuRRecTiON

Re: New Features for BART 2.0 [WISHLIST]
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2005, 05:40:29 PM »
Hi,

hmm, if you use BartPE, then you have the ability to use a plugin that gives you Plug&Play in Windows PE :-P

So please allow to use BART with BartPE, so everyone is happy :-P

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

iNsuRRecTiON

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2005, 05:43:30 PM »
btw. Avast should have a look at Winternals Admin Pak 5.x and "copy" some features/functions to their BART 2.5 or BART 3.x :-P

The Administration Pak 5.x rockz :D

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2005, 08:49:58 PM »
Hmm, interesting.
What exactly do you find cool about the new release? Anything useful in particular?

Thx Vlk.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

iNsuRRecTiON

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2005, 01:57:41 PM »
Hi,

here in this thread, you (vlk) said already, that recovery tools will be added to BART CD 2.0.
BTW an undelete software (possibly unformat/recovery as well) is currently under development.

It's likely it will be added to BART 2.x soon.

Cheers
Vlk

And now? After many months, where are the tools? :(

Here are some example tools from Winternals ERDCommander 2005.

The following features are cool and useful, which BART CD 2.0 don't support:

-Possibility/ability to select what tools are on the final ISO Image.. (ERDCommander 2005 BootCD)

-Possibility/ability to add additional Mass Storage Drivers (OEM storage controller drivers that Windows XP doesn't natively recognize..) like SCSI, SATA, RAID or others..(drivers with txtsetup.oem files..)

-Possibility/ability to add additional Network Controller Drivers, that Windows XP doesn't natively recognize (Setup files *.inf..)

-Possibility/ability to access the Internet

-Integrated Crash Analyser Support and selection where are the needed Debugging Tools for Windows located.. (target computer or integrate files into ISO)
With Crash Analyser you can view and analyse dump-files (Windows dump files, which are created, if an bluescreen appear.. (*.dmp files))
With this ability for instance you can find out what driver, on the target system, produces that bluescreens or what drivers are not compatible/corrupt..

-A tool called Disk Commander that salvage data on your harddrive. It can recover files lost due to file system errors, incapacitated operating systems, and accidental reformatting or repartitioning, and deletion. (with or without assigned drive letters, allow backup of current partition table, so that you can restore it later..)

-A normal FileRestore tool, that search on an partition for deleted files.. (easy to use, because the search window is similar to Windows Search..)

-A tool called Hotfix Uninstall, that allows you to uninstall an Microsoft Hotfix on the target computer

-Ability to change an Windows Account Password on the target computer, if you don't remember your password or if someone change the password and you (Admin) need access to that pc..

-A tool called System Compare, that allows you to compare the local (target) system/computer with another remote computer or system root, scanning for differences and examining the resulting difference set. (useful if you have the same configuration on every or many computers in your organisation/network..)

-A tool called System Restore, that allows you to restore an "System Restore Point" on target Systems/Computers that have Windows XP or higher installed..

-A tool called System File Repair, that scan your Windows installation for corrupt system files. Similar to the Windows System File Checker, this utility walks through the DLLChache directory installed with Windows by default to insure key Windows files are not corrupt.

The help system/help files/help support is better in ERDCommander and you have mouse wheel support!
No mouse wheel support is bad, irritating, annoying and disturbing :P :(

And there are a several other useful tools on Winternals Erd Commander 2005.

There are other emergency boot CDs that allows you to update AntiVirus Program+Virusdatabase over the Internet, like BitDefender Boot CD (LinuxDefender)..

The bad ones:

The following doesn't support ErdCommander 2005 (and of course BART CD 2.0 :-P):

-Possibility/ability to add other Drivers, that Windows XP doesn't natively recognize, like Storage Drivers or others, that aren't txtsetup.oem files. (i.e. Setup files *.inf..)

-Possibility/ability to change the screen resolution, colors and refresh rate..

So now you know, why in my opinion Winternals ERDCommander 2005 rockz :P

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

PS: You have integrated an rich text viewer (for your help file..), but this rich text viewer don't allows you to load another rich text file, thats bad :( Plz. integrate that feature ;-)

ssummit

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2005, 03:28:30 AM »
Another item would be the ability to go back to System Restore points.

w0mbat

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2005, 07:59:13 AM »
So.....  are there any of these wishlist items going to be incorporated anytime soon?

:)

Thanks

--w0mbat

ssummit

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2005, 05:16:59 PM »
Also, some sort of generic, or a whole host of specific, SATA drivers.

w0mbat

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2005, 01:37:05 PM »
Nothing heard in here from any of the Alwil staff about work on this CD.

Is there anything in the pipeline about suggestions users have made?

thanks

--w0mbat

ssummit

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2006, 09:00:57 PM »
BART will need some sort of a built-in set of SATA drivers as this will become increasingly important as more and more new computers with RAID capable SATA HDs (read Dell) no longer come with built-in floppy drives to allow loading of (especially Intel) SATA RAID capable HD drivers via F6 during a CD-based boot.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 09:10:07 PM by The New Magic »

HomeNet

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2006, 09:20:05 PM »
BART will need some sort of a built-in set of SATA drivers as this will become increasingly important as more and more new computers with RAID capable SATA HDs (read Dell) no longer come with built-in floppy drives to allow loading of (especially Intel) SATA RAID capable HD drivers via F6 during a CD-based boot.

Yeah, I'm with ya on that one!  More & more PCs are being built with SATA drives.  I use several boot disks (BARTpe, ERD Commander, Knoppix boot DVD, ect.) and I've been having trouble with SATA disks.  Some of my boot disks have freeware/open-sourse apps that can repartition drives (very handy sometimes).....some use anti-spyware apps......some also have virus (Avast BART & a few others I have use McAfee = nasty!).  All these tools are great IF they work and without SATA support, these disks are as good a coasters for my beer.  (Actually, I hate beer; I'd rather have hard cider  ;)).  Simply put - SATA support is a BIG deal with these boot disks.

egulbino

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
I would like to see, the password cracking utils.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2008, 01:02:57 AM »
I would like to see, the password cracking utils.
Do you mean cracking Windows passwords? ???
The best things in life are free.

mamister

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 02:53:01 AM »
Mine is:

1. Allow to add in own SATA and NIC driver before building ;)
2. Good internet browser (K-Meleon)   :)
3. sfc.exe  :D
4. Password remove (like ERD commander)  ;D
5. When?  ???
6. Since Oct 2003 waiting until now..... :'(