Author Topic: Why the hit on forming the "uninstall a program" list.  (Read 4963 times)

Iangho

Why the hit on forming the "uninstall a program" list.
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:21:24 PM »
Having played with the best free a-vs over the last two weeks I chose Avast because the download speed with web protection is the best.

But one thing I have noticed is when I go to control panel/uninstall a program the program list takes a lot longer to form relative to other a-vs. Why is this? As well as taking time to form the list the mouse goes unresponsive.

I have a Thinkpad E520, Win7 and i3-2310m 2.1Ghz.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Why the hit on forming the "uninstall a program" list.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
Is there any other security programs running with avast ? or other programs in general running in the background that maybe using up resources ? I3 cpu's don't have much processing power to call upon so anything that is running in the background will usually grind those systems to a halt.

Iangho

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »
Just MBAM Pro is running with website blocking unchecked.

It surprised me that Avast had such an effect, relative to Avira, Bitdefender, Panda and Qihoo.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »
With MBAM Pro running you would be best to exclude the complete folders of avast and MBAM to save on each from scanning one another, you'll also find that if you turn MBAM off your system will spring back into action again as Malwarebytes will be what is using the most resources on your system, the 1.75 version was a lot heavier than previous version and the new version that is alpha stage at the moment is twice as heavy on resources again.

Try disabling MBAM from starting with windows, you can have it set to update and scan once a week for piece of mind
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:23:53 PM by craigb »

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:28:51 AM »
With MBAM Pro running you would be best to exclude the complete folders of avast and MBAM to save on each from scanning one another, you'll also find that if you turn MBAM off your system will spring back into action again as Malwarebytes will be what is using the most resources on your system, the 1.75 version was a lot heavier than previous version and the new version that is alpha stage at the moment is twice as heavy on resources again.

Try disabling MBAM from starting with windows, you can have it set to update and scan once a week for piece of mind

Hmm, I have the same on any system I install avast to, I always turn off " scan when opening", it is avast that kills the system.

I have tried this on Win7 and Win8,  shutting down MBam makes zero difference. 

Win7 64Bit Dual Core and 8GB Ram ..... with  Scan when opening is it on cripples documents folder and program list , This Computer and Network , no MBam running, turn off that avast setting, , run MBam as resident, and the folders open instantly.

My neighbours machine has an AMD 8Core and 16GB Ram , he has AIS9 no MBam, the same thing happens.

I turned off the scan when opening years ago, avast and MBam run fine and I have had no malware/virus issues. The system is already scanned in realtime , and when anything is written.

On my Win8.1 Pro laptop, Bitdefender, Panda Cloud, Avira, and Trend Micro have been tested, none of them have this impact. 

Iangho

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »
On my Win8.1 Pro laptop, Bitdefender, Panda Cloud, Avira, and Trend Micro have been tested, none of them have this impact.

Yes, it's Avast that's causing the issue.

Add Qihoo 360 to the list.

How does this get flagged to the development team?

thekochs

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
Only a data point for reference.
I am on Avast8 for most machines and Avast9 on one other.....all W7 64bit SP1 with 4/8GB RAM, all I5 cores.
I have MBAM Pro running with website blocking.
The MBAM service takes up 50MB but little CPU resource.
I have nothing in exclusion lists and have both Avast & MBAM Pro run nightly scans at different times.
I've had this setup for couple months and on the Avast8 systems there is no impact.
I've not spent much time on the Avast9 machine since it is a test mode one for me.......I'll check but seems on most apps to be "snappy".

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:49:52 PM »
My laptop also runs Win7 and i3-2310m @ 2.10Ghz.

I have no issues running avast! 9 and Malwarebytes Pro together, they work well together. (I do have mutual exclusions set)

My list loads fast, however, their are factors that could contribute such as the amount of programs installed and if you are showing additional updates towards that list.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

thekochs

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 12:58:46 AM »
I have no issues running avast! 9 and Malwarebytes Pro together, they work well together. (I do have mutual exclusions set)

Would you mind posting a pic of your exclusions ?
Right now things work great but would be good reference if new spin of Avast or MBAM cause an issue I can reference yours.

Regards.

iroc9555

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 01:11:38 AM »

Eventhough this instructions are for avast! 6, they apply for all avast! versions ( path to FSS and WS may be different )

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&p=417798

I also exclude C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_avast_ in MBAM since there is where avast! opens the files to be analyzed.

thekochs

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 02:04:48 AM »

Eventhough this instructions are for avast! 6, they apply for all avast! versions ( path to FSS and WS may be different )

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&p=417798

I also exclude C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_avast_ in MBAM since there is where avast! opens the files to be analyzed.

Thx.....did a quick cut-n-paste in case anyone wants to save.