Author Topic: Once again 2014 fumbles with XP SP 3  (Read 8214 times)

Nagan

Once again 2014 fumbles with XP SP 3
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
Consider bad luck or whatever, the latest version on over the top installation , literally delays the desktop display at the restart and the Network gets jammed. So I uninstalled it , ran the AWS clear tool , once again installed 2014, to no avail and the similar symptoms prevailed. Hence repeated the whole process again and got back to 1489.

The developers need to do something on the XP compatibility.No issues with Win 7 however. Thoroughly disappointed..

Nagan

Re: Once again 2014 fumbles with XP SP 3
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
Infact I had already made a post for the previous version http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143352.msg1040180#msg1040180. Still it is not working here...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »
Latest version is working flawlessly for me on XP SP3.
Must be something on your system.

Perhaps it is time to do a thorough cleanup of your system by installing Windows from scratch.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:31:49 PM »
Anybody who suggests reinstalling Windows as a solution should be sent to the naughty step.

Other versions of Avast had and still have no trouble with WinXP SP3 yet these problems with the new Avast version have been reported for months. There are more than enough people for even the most sceptical to have to admit that there is something wrong. What that is and why it is happening for some and not others is, apparently, still unclear.

The fact that no fix has been provided is IMHO suspicious. WinXP support from MS disappears in a few months' time and MS are on a campaign to get us off XP (despite the fact over 35% of the world's PCs are still using it). As time goes by there is less and less incentive for Avast to provide that fix particularly if there is a lot of work involved.

It is my belief that we XP users are being cut loose and there will never be a solution. Those on WinXP should simply stick with the last known fully functional version of Avast unless they have a full system backup available to recover should they get the sort of problems reported here.         

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 01:38:28 PM »
So far I never have seen any version of avast failing on any cleanly and correctly installed XP-SP3 (and all other updates) system.

Tetsuo

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:38:24 PM »
Consider bad luck or whatever, the latest version on over the top installation , literally delays the desktop display at the restart and the Network gets jammed. So I uninstalled it , ran the AWS clear tool ,

The same happened to me yesterday. A clean install fixed it, though.
Yeah, I guess I was lucky this time.

Ah, I forgot to mention that in addition to the avast! cleaner, I also run ccleaner for the registry part and had to manually delete some ghost device leftover.

As for all the loud fan boys. Unfortunately, there isn't any proper moderation here in this support forum. Basically you have to just ignore them and some of their bad or harmful advices.

Tetsuo

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 09:44:04 PM »
@Nagan

Had the same problem with my father's laptop this afternoon. I tried a clean install, this time to no avail.
However, I also tried disabling the "hardware-assisted virtualization" in settings/troubleshooting. That worked, apparently.
Hope this suggestion might help you.

System Info:
Win XP Pro SP3
Avast! Free AV 9.0.2013
Online Armor Free 7.0.0.1866

Nagan

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 03:15:11 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind suggestions and replies.  Anyway I have decided it will be 1489 for my XP SP3 system unless a developer is willing to take a look at why the modern versions are not working for XP.

Also it appears only a few with XP have no issues with latest AVAST.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 03:57:11 AM »
As I said before, the latest version of avast is working flawlessly with XP-SP3 (and all other updates)
The problem is caused by what you already have installed (including remnants of things) on your system.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 04:10:01 AM »
Well I'll chime in here, as I also have no issues on xpSP3 with Avast Premier 2014 and have beta tested with this xp through all versions since version 4.
Also is working flawlessly on W8.1 64 Bit  ;) ;D

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
But you're both ignoring the fact that these aren't, in most cases, new installs of Avast but program updates for people who have been using previous versions and updating Avast without such issues for, sometimes, many years too.

Blaming it on something else on the computer which, if true, most likely was there before yet not causing problems with those previous versions of Avast is a little desperate. 

hake

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »
Revert to Avast 8 and greatly reduce the nuisance of the frequent emergency updates with Avast 9.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 02:32:23 PM »
Cluster-Lizard,
no we are not. You are ignoring the fact that (almost all) the problems are caused by a conflict between avast and what already is installed.
It can be applications, (old) drivers, windows components, remnants of software etc. etc.

hake,
if you have nothing sensible to contribute... Please don't post anything.

guestja

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
wow, Eddy, .... getting a little agressive?

Just because it is conflicting with something doesn't mean that it isn't something the developers could be looking at.

In the past haven't they often tried to identify and address conflicts?

Alievitan

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »
@nagan Considering its a old XP desktop, I would try to Windows update to see if there are any updated drivers paying attention if there are any newer display and network drivers which are sometimes listed under "optional" updates. 

If that fails and nobody at Avast or nobody in the forum capable of in depth troubleshooting steps up, I personally would just choose an alternative AV and move on.