Author Topic: Once again 2014 fumbles with XP SP 3  (Read 8218 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Once again 2014 fumbles with XP SP 3
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »
As a thought how many different types of programmes can windows XP run.  How many are still available for download

hake

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 06:21:31 PM »
Sorry.   :-[

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »
But you're both ignoring the fact that these aren't, in most cases, new installs of Avast but program updates for people who have been using previous versions and updating Avast without such issues for, sometimes, many years too.

Blaming it on something else on the computer which, if true, most likely was there before yet not causing problems with those previous versions of Avast is a little desperate.

A lot of assumptions in your statement, I don't believe you are aware of process I use to Install and Uninstall software when testing, Updating or Reinstalling.
I simply stated I have not experienced any issues on xpSP3. I consider this is because the software is compatible with my OS configuration. :)

Nagan

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
@nagan Considering its a old XP desktop, I would try to Windows update to see if there are any updated drivers paying attention if there are any newer display and network drivers which are sometimes listed under "optional" updates. 

If that fails and nobody at Avast or nobody in the forum capable of in depth troubleshooting steps up, I personally would just choose an alternative AV and move on.

I do not think any drivers could be a issue as a previous version is working properly. But still it is a possibility , which I may not find much to do about.

I might consider changing the AV as the last resort...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- Which version..??
- Other security related software installed..??
- Which AV(s) did you use before avast!..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

hake

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
I have care of five XP SP3 systems.  All are running Avast 2014 without any compatibility problems.  One XP system was installed six years ago and works perfectly and with utter stability running such security software as EMET 4.1, Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 9, Avast 2014 and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit 0.09.5.1000 beta.

Tetsuo

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 02:47:15 PM »

I do not think any drivers could be a issue as a previous version is working properly. But still it is a possibility , which I may not find much to do about.

I spoke too soon. With  "hardware-assisted virtualization" disabled in settings/troubleshooting, the problem was once gain there this morning after the now usual emergency updates.

I had to revert the laptop to version Free  9.0.2008
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:49:17 PM by Tetsuo »

AdrianH

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 03:34:09 PM »

I spoke too soon. With  "hardware-assisted virtualization" disabled in settings/troubleshooting, the problem was once gain there this morning after the now usual emergency updates.

The EM update runs as a scheduled task at every start up. It checks for updates, this does not mean there were any updates to be found.

I never see any issue on the various systems here, or on any I install in the workshop.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »

The EM update runs as a scheduled task at every start up. It checks for updates, this does not mean there were any updates to be found.

I never see any issue on the various systems here, or on any I install in the workshop.

This is my take on how it works.

First the AvastEmUpdate.exe checks if there is an emergency update present - if there is then it will create the unique file name and create a RunOnce entry (which triggers WinPatrol Plus) for it to install the emergency update (which may trigger some firewalls) on the next boot.

The real question is why they have gone down this route as previously I believe the AvastEmUpdate.exe not only checked for but also installed the emergency update if it was present. To me the current system/function adds another level of complexity, which as we can see confuses many.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tetsuo

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »
Just to avoid confusion (and I'm not referring to DavidR's post), I wasn't talking about the checking at the startup.
I was talking about the latest installed or not emergency update file - the one released around 01/30, although there was another one the day before - contrary to popular belief they are very frequent.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »
Just to avoid confusion (and I'm not referring to DavidR's post), I wasn't talking about the checking at the startup.
I was talking about the latest installed or not emergency update file - the one released around 01/30, although there was another one the day before - contrary to popular belief they are very frequent.

For me they haven't been that frequent, though there have been two recently and two about a month before that.

If for whatever reason the emergency update (the unique file name one) isn't allowed in the firewall or other means then it will keep cropping up as the emergency update would still be available.

I'm sure many would rather have the emergency update procedure rather than have these fixes released in a program update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hake

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
This comment is to DavidR.  This thread seems to have evolved into a discussion about emergency updates.  If Avast will not drop random names, I have no alternative but to accept that.  That is because Avast is, otherwise, such a deuce of a good product with uniquely good and well thought out features and even with the emergency updates as they are, I could not forsake Avast.  The Mail Shield is miraculously good with its oh so simple to use SSL feature.  I see that you also use Outpost.  I have made a request to Agnitum that it makes provision for the exclusion of folders so that the randomly named emergency update files can operate silently.  I made specific mention that the folders are within a zone protected by Avast self-defence.  Let's see what transpires.

Back to the thread.  I have never ever had a problem with Avast (4.8 onwards) and Windows XP.  By contrast, I have had problems with Vista and Windows 7.  It has never ceased to amaze me that Windows, from 95 onwards, is able to run well with all sorts of problems and anomalies hidden away in its registry and other places, only occasionally betraying signs of operational difficulties.  This seems to be at the root of most of the problems reported in this and many other forums.

While ceasing to use XP for sensitive purposes (such as online banking) after April, I intend to continue its use for general web browsing because I am curious to see if my well laid and so far proven layers of defence are effective against the hazards that the doom mongers forecast will beset XP users.  I have yet to receive damage from the gunfire of malevolent hackers after 13 years of using Windows 2000 then XP.  Avast has felt the collars of malware on about eight occasions during that time but not one has passed it.

I too evangelise Avast and install it on all computers (belonging to friends) for which I am responsible for security and defence against malware.  Those computers lead apparently charmed lives which I attribute to the excellence of Avast.  Those users could not cope with a HIPS so randomly named emergency updates are not an issue for them and their equipment.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:13:59 AM by hake »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »
It would also appear, that the effect of the Random Changing File names and resulting "pop-ups" by various Security Programs is not generic across OS's or configurations as I personally very seldom am bothered by pop-ups from any of the layered security I have installed  with regard to EMUpdates/ while others are screaming of pop-ups continuously.

AdrianH

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 07:09:05 PM »
It would also appear, that the effect of the Random Changing File names and resulting "pop-ups" by various Security Programs is not generic across OS's or configurations as I personally very seldom am bothered by pop-ups from any of the layered security I have installed  with regard to EMUpdates/ while others are screaming of pop-ups continuously.

On the Win7 and Win8 systems we have here, I have not seen a single "pop-up" .

cooby

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 09:18:32 PM »
@hake, Thank you for your wonderful reply#26, above.
I too have nothing but good experience with Avast since v4.8 both on Win2k and XP.
Can't agree more on your mention of the miraculous SSL mail scans.
I'm also amazed at its small footprint as well as speed on an almost 8-yr old XP.
As far as people complaining about randomName files, I complained, gave up, participated in few threads, learned more in the process.
Having Avast is more important than an inconvenience of having to answer an alert.

My hope is that Avast will somehow provide sufficient security for XP after April to even go to my bank, though as kernel holes keep being found that might prove to be rough.