Author Topic: Avast in Mac OS X 10.9 drains de battery  (Read 9124 times)

Xumeiquer

Avast in Mac OS X 10.9 drains de battery
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »
Hi all,

I am using MacBook Pro 13 late 2013 with Mavericks and I started having problems with the battery of my laptop by using Avast, everything is explained in this discussion https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5520135. If there is some stuff form Avast team, please have a look on the issue.

Regards,

Xumeiquer.

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
Re: Avast in Mac OS X 10.9 drains de battery
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
Hello,
  thank you for the notification, we were not aware of any issue like this. I have a similar computer configuration as discussed in the Apple discussion, so I will try to reproduce the issue.

Best Regards,
  Martin

gradford

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:56:15 AM »
I am experiencing horrendous battery consumption on a six month old MacBook Pro 13"; The only unusual thing I have done that I can think of is to install Avast. I am going to try to uninstall it, to see if my problem goes away...
I have read other postings suggesting that Avast is not yet fully compatible with Mac, for this reason.
Works really well detecting windows viruses and other nasty windows stuff passing through my email....

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 02:13:45 PM »
Hello,
  thank you for the notice. Unfortunatelly, we don't have any computer where we could reproduce the issue.

Before you uninstall the Avast, could you please execute following command from a terminal and post us a result?
pmset -g assertions

As discussed at https://discussions.apple.com/message/16238880#16238880

Thank you very much in advance,
Martin

RickRickity

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 06:32:05 PM »
I too, have also experienced a battery drain while my rMBP (late 2013) running Mavericks some time after Avast was installed.  I have logged the issue for the past 3 months, believing it to be a Address Book Contacts issue with no results...

Until this past weekend, when I restored my rMBP back to the original OS and re-installed all programs except avast for Mac.  Since then, I have had zero instances of battery drain and when in Sleep, my rMBP actually sleeps with only about 1%/hr batter discharge.   When using the rMBP with avast, i would regularly experience a dead battery after leaving the rMBP overnight in Sleep mode. (approx 15%/hr discharge rate during Sleep)

I can't explicitly tie this issue to Avast, but the evidence is overwhelming.  My immediate recovery in battery performance points to Avast since I've already re-installed ALL programs and apps used prior to restoring the OS - with the exception of Avast for Mac.

:o  Coincidence much?   :o

icogs

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 07:23:01 AM »
I have had my MBP since November but I only installed Avast two days ago. Since then I have experienced large battery drain when on standby and the machine gets very warm - much warmer in fact then I would expect if I were using it for light tasks such as web browsing. Yesterday I left it fully charged in standby in a padded bag and a few hours later it was worryingly hot. Installing Avast is the only thing I have installed recently - I can't think of any other credible culprit.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »
I noticed that if you have the web agent on and you watch a streamed video in 720p like http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/, avast goes crazy.

In fact I regularly have situation where avast goes totally crazy, like:
1. Edit code in Intellij Idea.
2. Run code in xcode
3. use Cups-pdf
4. Download huge files from the appstore (it is crazy from start to the end of the download)

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »
I noticed that if you have the web agent on and you watch a streamed video in 720p like http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/, avast goes crazy.

In fact I regularly have situation where avast goes totally crazy, like:
1. Edit code in Intellij Idea.
2. Run code in xcode
3. use Cups-pdf
4. Download huge files from the appstore (it is crazy from start to the end of the download)

Can you install the new beta version and see, if the issues are still there?

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 10:32:34 AM »
I test the video stream and cups-pdf: nothing changed. The deamon still uses 60-100% of the CPU (100% of one core).

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »
I have 2 mac book air with Maverick 10.9.3 and both with avast installed. The mba13 has no battery drain, the mba has huge battery drain (as full usage) when avast installed (reproducible). The main difference is, the file vault an mba11 is enabled, on mba13 no file vault.
Has anybody the drain issue with file vault on or off?

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »
With avast! 9.0 solved. Thanks. :D

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »
With avast 9 beta 2 it was ok, but with the final avast 9 it restared, but now are the processes mdworker in activity visible, with avast 8 there was the same drain, but no processes visible.