Author Topic: Why use the avast! firewall?  (Read 15880 times)

Noob2342

Why use the avast! firewall?
« on: January 30, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »
What is the point of the avast! firewall since Windows already has one?

Also, if there is a point to using it, what's the difference between telling avast! that a network is private vs public, and what does the "Friendly network" option do?

seeker15

Re: Why use the avast! firewall?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 07:06:02 AM »
Windows firewall is not user friendly. You are not prompted for action (to allow/block) when a new unwanted connection is being made (outgoing especially).

Difference:
Private - suitable when using your computer as part of a home/private network. If this setting is selected, the firewall will allow all communication with the network.

Public - suitable when using your computer to connect to a public network and where you want to ensure the maximum level of security. This is the most secure setting and if selected, no incoming communication will be allowed, effectively making your computer completely invisible to others.

You can use Windows firewall and Avast FW at the same time though so when one misses something, other can stop it. There is no conflict of any kind.
But if you think you can live with creating rules manually for each program then windows firewall is all powerful.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:13:54 AM »
Windows firewall is not user friendly. You are not prompted for action
i would say it is the opposite.....if you are a noob and dont understand firewalls, turn on win firewall and thats it

Noob2342

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:56:36 PM »
Windows firewall is not user friendly. You are not prompted for action
i would say it is the opposite.....if you are a noob and dont understand firewalls, turn on win firewall and thats it

What I'm confused about is that regardless of whether someone's a noob, it doesn't seem like the avast! firewall can do anything that the standard Windows firewall can't, so I just don't see any point in enabling it. It seems like the only possible outcome is that it might block connections that programs are making, but very rarely would I want that to happen.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
Have you ever tried to configure the outbound protection of the windows firewall which is not even turned on by default, it's a much easier task with a third party firewall and the windows firewall also doesn't give any live monitoring abilities.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:46 PM »
Have you ever tried to configure the outbound protection of the windows firewall which is not even turned on by default, it's a much easier task with a third party firewall and the windows firewall also doesn't give any live monitoring abilities.
that is true .... but do you need outbound protection?
yes i know, we have debated that several times in several topics in here

http://www.howtogeek.com/172349/why-you-dont-need-an-outbound-firewall-on-your-laptop-or-desktop-pc/
http://www.howtogeek.com/165203/why-you-dont-need-to-install-a-third-party-firewall-and-when-you-do/

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
If you are using the avast firewall (v2014.9.0.2013) it is recommended you disable the Windows firewall.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Faraday

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »
When I set it to private, I have to turn Friendly on or my lan won't work.  When I turn Pulick on, then my lan stops working.  I am confused because Friendly allows file sharing through my router to the internet, it seems?  My lan isn't even listed, just the internet router, so allowing file sharing...I must not understand something.  Anyone?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
Are you using your machine at home or public wifi?
I don't use the AIS firewall but I'm pretty sure you can make exceptions
in your firewall rules.

FYI I use Comodo Firewall v5.12 w/D+ (HIPS).

Just out of curiosity run the grc(dot)com "shieldsup" test using the public and private settings.
Test "all service ports".
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Faraday

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »
Thanks, I'll do that.

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
grc.com shields up will not see the PC or firewall if you use a router .

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
grc.com shields up will not see the PC or firewall if you use a router .

This is true with a NAT router. The story is different with a LAN router.
The "shieldsup" test will test the computer installed firewall when using a LAN router.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »
Maybe ....maybe not, it depends what your ISP is blocking    :)

seeker15

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 05:28:22 AM »
that is true .... but do you need outbound protection?
yes i know, we have debated that several times in several topics in here

http://www.howtogeek.com/172349/why-you-dont-need-an-outbound-firewall-on-your-laptop-or-desktop-pc/
http://www.howtogeek.com/165203/why-you-dont-need-to-install-a-third-party-firewall-and-when-you-do/
Some users need to put check on outgoing connections made by some programs e.g adware. I don't like programs making unwanted outbound connection when there is no need of it (even just to check for updates/or showing ads within the program for example). And since windows firewall usually allows outbound connection without notifying me, avast firewall tells me what program tries to connect and where so that I could block or allow them at the prompt instead of manually blocking. Windows firewall would be enough if we just have time to make exception rules.

seeker15

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 05:35:31 AM »
If you are using the avast firewall (v2014.9.0.2013) it is recommended you disable the Windows firewall.
Yes, but windows firewall had been very useful in just 'one' rule avast had failed me once. I haven't tested later with the new version though. No need to. Also, it looks without windows firewall ON, sharing of internet connection didn't work for me through wifi hotspot. And then again with avast firewall set to public, it actually blocks incoming request from other devices while on internet sharing mode. Setting it to private worked. Making exception didn't work or maybe my exception rule was not appropriate. Never complained because I use ICS seldom :p