Author Topic: Is it safe to remove emupdate files after install?  (Read 1926 times)

AlphaUMi

Is it safe to remove emupdate files after install?
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »
I just received an emupdate today (i think it is a698899c-4d8a-4053-a8c2-504004c31f65, judging from the file date). After reboot the update was successfully installed and the entry is non longer in registry (under RunOnce key). In the setup\emupdate folder I have 8 or 9 file, some of them from two months ago, some others very recent.

I would like to know if avast! actually uses this files after a successful installation upon reboot or if I can safely delete the files in that folder after disabling the self-defense module...

Regards,
Alpha.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Is it safe to remove emupdate files after install?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »
I'm not sure if it uses them... most likely will.

But I wouldn't dare delete them.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

AlphaUMi

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 01:18:17 AM »
OK, thanks for the answer!

AlphaUMi

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »
At my own risk, I moved these files and a couple of empty folders with gibberish name to another location outside the avast! folder and rebooted. avast! did not complain and updated as usual. If in a week or so there are no problems, I think I can definitely delete them.