Author Topic: I give up … again!  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Turtlediver

I give up … again!
« on: January 30, 2014, 07:20:50 PM »
I reluctantly gave up (temporarily I hope) using Avast on my main Win 7-64 computer a month ago after 2014.9.0.2011 slowed or prevented Internet traffic.  However, an older version of Avast was left running on another Win 7-64 machine.  Then yesterday, we tried to install TurboTax on the "Avast computer" and were greeted with "Sorry but your system doesn't meet the minimum requirements.  Administrator rights" Appears When Installing on Windows with Administrative Privileges."  Yes, we HAVE administrative privileges; that wasn't the problem. 

Guess what folks, TurboTax's website states, "This error is caused by installing TurboTax on 64-bit Windows while running an out-of-date version of Avast antivirus."  Their "solution":  Avast has released an update that resolves the error.  If you are still encountering this error message, please ensure that you have updated Avast to the latest version.  Okay, that seemed like a good excuse to try the 2013 version.  With crossed fingers, I updated to 2013 from the GUI.  It seemed to install fine; but as before, Internet ground to a halt.  And as before, I removed Avast with the clear program in the safe mode and then reinstalled a downloaded copy.  Same problem!  I know there are some workarounds for getting TurboTax installed, but we have neither the time nor inclination to screw with this any longer.  Since installing a competitor's antivirus product, TurboTax went on with no difficulties; and better still, web pages load noticeably faster. 

I really hope that somehow Avast gets things resolved – there are a lot of features from Avast that I miss.  But for now, we're just happy to be up and running again without any apparent problems.