Author Topic: I think I have a virus  (Read 6801 times)

CaptainKydo

Re: I think I have a virus
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 05:31:42 AM »
drive by add on?

Snoopyjoe

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2014, 08:32:39 AM »
On the same topic because I also think I have a virus, a couple of months ago I was using my computer from my administrator account and a program asked for permission to do something and I granted it permission and immediately had the intuitive feeling that I'd done the wrong thing. When I went back to using my standard account clicking on my Firefox toolbar icon said that the program this shortcut was connected to was missing. It was as if Firefox was uninstalled (I tried various ways of launching it) but it was still listed in my programs in the control panel. I started using Chrome from my standard account. It also did this with a program called Trillian, which is a messaging program which combines all the various messaging formats into one program.

When I used my administrator account again (which I was trying to avoid since something seemed to be wrong) Firefox worked but it was full of advertising. I ran an Avast scan which didn't find anything, then I ran an Avast boot time scan which still didn't find anything. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, which didn't work. I've left it uninstalled at present. I've kept Avast up to date and my OS up to date (which is Windows 7) and tried another boot time scan recently which found nothing.

Any suggestions of what to try next? I haven't been acting on getting it fixed urgently as I was planning on getting a Mac Mini anyway (which I have now bought today). All's I've really done is avoid doing any internet banking since this occurred. Even though I'm going Mac it would be good to get this sorted.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 08:51:43 AM »
On the same topic because I also think I have a virus, a couple of months ago I was using my computer from my administrator account and a program asked for permission to do something and I granted it permission and immediately had the intuitive feeling that I'd done the wrong thing. When I went back to using my standard account clicking on my Firefox toolbar icon said that the program this shortcut was connected to was missing. It was as if Firefox was uninstalled (I tried various ways of launching it) but it was still listed in my programs in the control panel. I started using Chrome from my standard account. It also did this with a program called Trillian, which is a messaging program which combines all the various messaging formats into one program.

When I used my administrator account again (which I was trying to avoid since something seemed to be wrong) Firefox worked but it was full of advertising. I ran an Avast scan which didn't find anything, then I ran an Avast boot time scan which still didn't find anything. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, which didn't work. I've left it uninstalled at present. I've kept Avast up to date and my OS up to date (which is Windows 7) and tried another boot time scan recently which found nothing.

Any suggestions of what to try next? I haven't been acting on getting it fixed urgently as I was planning on getting a Mac Mini anyway (which I have now bought today). All's I've really done is avoid doing any internet banking since this occurred. Even though I'm going Mac it would be good to get this sorted.

hey Snoopyjoe please start a new thread and follow this guide

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

a malware expert will pick you up there and guide you from there.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

CaptainKydo

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 10:18:22 PM »
Alright, after looking through some other posts I think I figured out why avast gave me the pop-up.

Until recently, probably beginning of January I often used uTorrent for things like fansubs,movies, and music. I stopped after my brother lectured me about the danger of all this and how I would probably get a virus if I kept downloading things. I then uninstalled uTorrent. In the following days I got the pop-up for the JS:Redirector Bos or whatever and it seemed like that's how other people found it. Should probably stay away from torrents if possible in the future.