Author Topic: A possible hijacking?  (Read 13772 times)

OhDearyMe

Re: A possible hijacking?
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »
Damn, nothings' working still. Apparently a lot of Win7x64 people have problems blocking ads. ):

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »
Aye 'tis a major bloomer on MS's part they are not checking who is providing the ads

DarthSnoopyFish

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 03:19:38 AM »
I left everything as is. Used the instructions from the first link (didn't even bother with the link they say to copy and paste because it's included in the second link). Then I just opened the second link, copied the entire list and pasted it in the bottom of my hosts file (didn't change the ip or anything). Then saved the host file then finished the instructions on the first link. Been over a day now and have yet to see one advertisement.

OhDearyMe

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 04:45:56 AM »
I left everything as is. Used the instructions from the first link (didn't even bother with the link they say to copy and paste because it's included in the second link). Then I just opened the second link, copied the entire list and pasted it in the bottom of my hosts file (didn't change the ip or anything). Then saved the host file then finished the instructions on the first link. Been over a day now and have yet to see one advertisement.

So should I leav ethem as just 0.0.0.0.0 or whatever?

DarthSnoopyFish

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:36 PM »
Copy paste, don't change.

OhDearyMe

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »
Damn, no dice, still. I think it's just because of my OS.

imthescatguy

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2014, 10:53:20 PM »
any other results so far? i am good at rouges and viruses. check your event logger or viewer or whatever and post everything that seems out of ordinary, then check your registry for any odd things, and stuff like that.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »
then check your registry for any odd things, and stuff like that
In the hands of the unwary that is asking for a disaster

The system is clean it is the Skype ads causing the problem

OhDearyMe

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2014, 12:59:45 AM »
I've tentatively been running skype again. The ads are there ( sigh, the HOSTS didn't work ), but so far, there have been no redirects or even browser tabs opening.

I have NOT been in a call, which is where my friend and I usually get hit. I've just been leaving the program running, and using the text-IM feature.

Do you think Skype has pulled the offending ads down? Occasionally my mouse gets the 'loading' wheel for a split half-second whenever a new ad loads, which makes me suspicious.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
I am not sure, but if they are concerned about the reputation of Skype, they should hit those sort of problems very fast